daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #2361
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Without going back and reading 100 pages, what exactly is the difference between RER and suburban rail?
RER is a part of suburban railway network. There are some suburban railway lines which does not terminate at a large terminus station but have a downtown tunnel instead. They are called RER.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #2362
sergiogiorgini

Likes (Received): 904

Yes I just explained that.
sergiogiorgini está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #2363
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Without going back and reading 100 pages, what exactly is the difference between RER and suburban rail? Is suburban rail what people in NA would call commuter rail that runs primarily or only in rush hour? In NA a RER-type system IS suburban rail.
There's no real difference. What defines RER is the fact that the lines runs through the city and are part of the urban network, thats's all.

Apart from that, RER and Transilien uses quite the same rolling stock, sometimes share the same tracks, and both of them runs all day long. In some cases you even have a choice ; as an exemple, you have access to the castle in Versailles with the RER C, the Transilien U (from La Defense) or the Transilien N (from Montparnasse), or even the transilien L (from Saint Lazare).

All RER lines are former suburban lines.

Dourdan (RER C) :

Nightfall after à 20 km hike :

mrsmartman, charpentier liked this post
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #2364
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Is the RER completely grade separated? If so, why isn't it just called "Metro"?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #2365
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Is the RER completely grade separated? If so, why isn't it just called "Metro"?
Because it isn't a metro. Also the Berlin S-Bahn is completely grade separated from the national railway network and offers a metro-like service. But it's not called Metro.

Anyway, I think that in the RER only A and B lines are completely grade separated from the national railway network. Lines C, D and E aren't.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #2366
Sacré Coeur

Likes (Received): 534

Actually, only the RATP network (western part of RER A and southern part of RER B) is grade separated. No other train services use these tracks. The other lines are operated by SNCF and use the RFN (Réseau Ferré National) tracks which are shared with other Transilien lines, national lines and freight.

Emile Zola

«Plonger une ville dans le formol en arguant de la sauvegarde de son patrimoine culturel et architectural est aussi bien un mensonge qu’une hérésie. Mensonge car les acteurs de l’industrie immobilière savent mieux que quiconque réhabiliter et valoriser le patrimoine architectural d’une ville en l’inscrivant dans son temps présent. Hérésie, car à cultiver une vision passéiste d’une ville, on est assuré de l’étouffer et de la voir dépérir.»

Gaël Thomas
Sacré Coeur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #2367
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiogiorgini View Post
It is suburban rail, but Paris has two types of suburban rail. The Transilien network is the "old" network that terminates at the major railway stations around the city (forcing most to change to Métro or RER there); the RER is a network of lines that dive underneath the city, connecting suburbs on either end. There are plans to rebrand both as simply "trains", but I doubt that'll happen any time soon. The distinction is useful.
IMO is more efficient the german S-Bahn system (specially
in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich) where all the suburban rail lines cross the city on underground (or overground) without ending at the major railway stations.

I've never understood why the Transilien lines are not converted into RER lines. It would be enough join the Transilien and RER line and convey the Transilien trains in the existing RER tunnels.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #2368
sergiogiorgini

Likes (Received): 904

You are gravely underestimating passenger demand in Paris. The central sections of the RER are either very near capacity or, in the case of line A, over it. There's no way they could handle the entire Transilien network on top of that.

The only way to do that is with more tunnels, as they are doing now with the line E extension. Which is costly, difficult, time-consuming...

There is also the fact that German cities are smaller, and were smaller in the 19th Century, enabling them to build lines along the built-up areas that were still within walking distance to the historic cores. Paris and London had to do with terminus stations which bored as far into the cities as possible.

437.001, Resss liked this post

Last edited by sergiogiorgini; August 29th, 2017 at 09:07 PM.
sergiogiorgini está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #2369
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
It would be enough join the Transilien and RER line and convey the Transilien trains in the existing RER tunnels.
Sorry, but I think (no, actually I'm sure) you have no idea what you talk about.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #2370
SSCreader

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
I've never understood why the Transilien lines are not converted into RER lines. It would be enough join the Transilien and RER line and convey the Transilien trains in the existing RER tunnels.
The current works include the conversion of some transilien lines to RER, as the extension of the E line will take over the route of some of the J transiliens.

In the original plan, the D line was supposed to take over some of the North and South-East suburban lines, share the A tunnel between Gare de Lyon and Les Halles, and then the B tunnel to Gare du Nord. In the end, only the B tunnel is shared, and this is the weakest point of the network, transmitting any problem on one line along both RER lines. To improve on the current situation, there is a project to rework the signalling to support 40 trains per hour per direction in the tunnel.
SSCreader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:10 AM   #2371
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

When I say grade separated I don't mean with other trains but rather from all road and pedestrian interaction.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #2372
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15435

Quote:
When I say grade separated I don't mean with other trains but rather from all road and pedestrian interaction.
Overall yes, there are no level crossings (as we call them in Europe), but I think there's still some sparse ones left here and there.

St Germain en Laye GC Transilien, I think... and some other I'm forgetting.

The La Ferté-Milon branch, I'd say. At least La Ferté-Milon station doesn't have an underpass or overpass, passengers have to cross the tracks.

Correct me what I may have missed.
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:22 PM   #2373
chakde_india

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCreader View Post
The floor height for the doors on MI09 trains is 1200mm, and the platforms on line A are at around 1100mm. It is the same platform height on the south of the B line.

For everything else, there is no clean answer. You have three generic types: low, middle and high platform. Low usually means 550m, but you have some curved stations at 320mm. Middle is 760mm, high is 920mm. Each line uses trains that are adapted to the existing mix of platforms.
Thanks a ton SSCreader !
chakde_india no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:48 PM   #2374
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3966

Quote:
But if we only apply this criterion, hundreds of km of rail lines across Europe, especially close to large cities like Berlin, London, Paris or Madrid, should be classified as "metro" even though other factors, like the above mentioned, make them incompatible with usual metro standards (namely sharing tracks with freight and long-distance trains, or having branches at each end where there's only a train every 20 minutes).

Bertolt Brecht

Nouvellecosse liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #2375
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

The parisian network is a patchwork of different styles.

Saint Lazare, the junction between the recent entrance to the RER E station and the old metro footpath :

ed24, mrsmartman, charpentier, dimlys1994 liked this post
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 04:54 PM   #2376
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10831

RER E coach with an African art visual theme:

https://twitter.com/Lepicard1986/sta...71784847826944
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:17 PM   #2377
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9962

what was the purpose? An expo at Orsay Museum or something?
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:09 PM   #2378
SSCreader

Likes (Received): 59

An article in french about this.

This train on RER line E has been decorated this way in cooperation with the Musée du quai Branly - Jacques Chirac, to present a part of teh museum's collection. It is the fifth suburban train thus decorated, with different themes for each train (Versailles on RER C, Impressionistes on Transilien J, Cinema on RER D, and Rambouillet's palace & forest on Transilien N).

According to the article, passengers like those decorations, and there are fewer graffiti to clean on decorated trains.

Decorated trains are a side effect of the anti-graffiti methods used in Paris. Vinyl adhesives with solid colors cover walls and ceilings inside recent trains. They are easy to clean, and easy to replace if cleanup is impossible. By printing a pattern on those adhesives, you can apply this type of decoration, and it probably does not cost much more than the standard cleanup process.

parcdesprinces, alexandru.mircea liked this post
SSCreader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:27 PM   #2379
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9962

Thanks for the answer & the article!
(Oh and BTW when I wrote Orsay Museum I had Quai Branly one in mind actually. My bad )
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:10 AM   #2380
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacré Coeur View Post
Actually, only the RATP network (western part of RER A and southern part of RER B) is grade separated. No other train services use these tracks. The other lines are operated by SNCF and use the RFN (Réseau Ferré National) tracks which are shared with other Transilien lines, national lines and freight.
No other services use the western part of RER A? There are Transilien services to Cergy during the peaks...

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer