daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #221
Minato ku

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM   #222
X38

Likes (Received): 22

Yeah, Grande Arche station is great. I've got 1 picture of that over here.
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM   #223
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
I was in Paris on 23-25 april 2008, and I was fascinated by the metro and RER!
I took the RER from Versailles-Chantiers to La Défense. (i had visited the castle of Versailles)
Versailles-Chantiers is awful by the way...
From La Defense you should have taken a Versailles Rive Droite bound train instead of Chantiers. It would have been nicer to go the palace.
The Chantiers station is not that uggly in my opinion.Very typical from the 40' when a lot of stations had to be rebuilt in Normandie and western suburbs after the britons and americans bombed them. It's the same design than Pont Cardinet in Paris and other stations in Normandie. With some refurbishing it could be nice.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:44 AM   #224
X38

No, we went by bus that dropped us at the palace en drove to our hotel (cheap campanile-Bagnolet, close to station Gallieni). It was +/- 15 minutes walking to the station. But we had no choise, teachers... (I remember suddenly it was RER C)

We also used the RER to go to the Jardin du Luxembourg (very nice park by the way, and I have a stunning story about a clochard.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM   #225
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

My general impression of the RER was that it felt a bit more "run-down" than the metro. The trains were tagged more, the stations seemed gloomier and so forth, but then again it was just RER C out to Versailles, rather than the A and B lines which are apparently much more modern and well looked after.

I guess RATP does a better job than SNCF?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM   #226
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
My general impression of the RER was that it felt a bit more "run-down" than the metro. The trains were tagged more, the stations seemed gloomier and so forth, but then again it was just RER C out to Versailles, rather than the A and B lines which are apparently much more modern and well looked after.

I used the RER A and B when I was in Paris and I was definitely impressed. The frequencies were almost as high as the metro and the trains were clean enough.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM   #227
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

The frequency and efficiency is good, but the appearance isn't. The stations could be beautiful but instead look like car parks, and the trains have big sliding doors reminding me of some spooky industrial garriage. The interior of the trains is gloomy, and I don't really like double-decker trains...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM   #228
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post

Well, that's a long story. Excepted between Saint Lazare and Versailles Rive Droite/Saint Nom la Breteche where the Sncf service (rolling stock, frequencies, reliability) is very good, Ratp definitly does a better job.
The point is that Ratp showpieces are the RER and line 14 and 1 while Sncf's pride is the TGV. Question of priority..
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM   #229
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3934

Last month I took the RER from Marne-la-Vallée to Paris - Gare-de-Lyon. I really like this system. What I liked the most was the speed and the acceleration of the trains. I couldn't believe these trains could brake so fast! They're doubled decked, and here, in Barcelona our double decked trains take a long time to brake, which makes journeys longer...

But probably I have this good impression of RER network because I just took A line, not C or D, I don't know.

I didn't like one thing, tickets machine didn't accept notes nor our spanish credit cards, and it was quite difficult for us to find coins to pay for 3 tickets (I guess 15 € or so).

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM   #230
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
Last month I took the RER from Marne-la-Vallée to Paris - Gare-de-Lyon. I really like this system. What I liked the most was the speed and the acceleration of the trains. I couldn't believe these trains could brake so fast! They're doubled decked, and here, in Barcelona our double decked trains take a long time to brake, which makes journeys longer...

But probably I have this good impression of RER network because I just took A line, not C or D, I don't know.

I didn't like one thing, tickets machine didn't accept notes nor our spanish credit cards, and it was quite difficult for us to find coins to pay for 3 tickets (I guess 15 € or so).
I was so frustrated with this, myself. My friends and I were running late getting to CDG Airport and at a station the automatic ticket machines would not take bills like you say and it would not take our American credit cards. And now the RATP has decided (it seemed so in several stations) to stop their window (taquilla/guichet) service, so it's only you and the machine and of course only the machine can win. Luckily we managed to find a taxi, which was and is always another problem in Paris. By the way, this was in Hotel de Ville metro station, which is a popular station on Line 1. Perhaps an RER station would have had window service but we didn't want to buy a single metro ticket in Hotel de Ville, then have to buy an RER ticket to the airport when transfering at Chatelet-les-Halles.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM   #231
Minato ku

The RER A is very good if you travel on it outside the rush hour.

In few years due at the large growth of the traffic the RER A passed from the best to the second worst RER line to travel.

It is not that the RER A is bad. This line was so good that it is victim of its succes.

The sole Gare de Lyon RER A station carrying 197,000 passengers per day.
I speak of the average 365 days, so imagine for the average working days.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM   #232
X38

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
I was so frustrated with this, myself. My friends and I were running late getting to CDG Airport and at a station the automatic ticket machines would not take bills like you say and it would not take our American credit cards. And now the RATP has decided (it seemed so in several stations) to stop their window (taquilla/guichet) service, so it's only you and the machine and of course only the machine can win. Luckily we managed to find a taxi, which was and is always another problem in Paris. By the way, this was in Hotel de Ville metro station, which is a popular station on Line 1. Perhaps an RER station would have had window service but we didn't want to buy a single metro ticket in Hotel de Ville, then have to buy an RER ticket to the airport when transfering at Chatelet-les-Halles.
(Nearly) all the stations a saw had a guichet... Even Gallieni. The teachers always went to the guichet and not to the automat...
At the window, there was always a huge "traffic jam" and NOBODY at the automats. Parisiens afrais of automats?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM   #233
Minato ku

In fact in many station guichet just serve to information, they don't sell ticket anymore.

Galleni is a major bus and national international coach station.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM   #234
X38

Yes, indeed. During my trip, we sleeped in the Campanile hotel, VERY close to station Gallieni. You could walk straight from the hotel door to the metro station.
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #235
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
(Nearly) all the stations a saw had a guichet... Even Gallieni. The teachers always went to the guichet and not to the automat...
At the window, there was always a huge "traffic jam" and NOBODY at the automats. Parisiens afrais of automats?
Actually, it's usually the tourists/visitors who are afraid of the machines for fear of not understanding them...or not getting what they need from them (which is not far from the truth, apparantly, unless you have coins or credit card that may or may not be accepted). I've noticed even in NYC people preferring to queue at a window then using the machines.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #236
Minato ku

Denfer-Rochereau

Old June 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #237
Minato ku

Saint Michel Notre Dame.

Old June 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #238
X38

Quote:
Actually, it's usually the tourists/visitors who are afraid of the machines for fear of not understanding them...or not getting what they need from them (which is not far from the truth, apparantly, unless you have coins or credit card that may or may not be accepted). I've noticed even in NYC people preferring to queue at a window then using the machines.
Ow, I'm sorry. Thack you for the correction.
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #239
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
The machines are confusing and do weird stuff. When I was in Paris I bought a weekly pass on a Thursday, only to find that it wasn't valid until the next bloody Monday (the day before I was leaving). Talk about infuriating (and 15 Euros x 2 people down the drain.)
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #240
Minato ku

Gare du Nord

Local RER B for CDG airport.

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer