daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #261
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
That makes sense. At least one other Metro line should be extended to La Défense.

Meanwhile, it sounds like RER A's primary traffic is from the suburbs if Line 14. At the very least, suburban ridership on line A must be very significant. Everytime I return to Paris, Metro line 14 is never busy. That's weird because it passes through very busy stations, several of which are transfer points. Then of course, Metro line 1 is largely parallel to the RER A and that metro line is perhaps the busiest one along with Metro line 13.
You're exactly right, Ligne 1 is definitely the most busy line on the Parisian metro system with 166 million journeys each year approximately. Ligne 14 in comparison only carries approximately 62.4 million passengers each year.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #262
Minato ku

That's wrong this is the number of direct entrance by line. (it don't inlude change, so not very usefull for a line that is used primary for change).
So there is 62 million passengers that enter in the metro system by the line 14 entrances.
The real transit of the line 14 is over 100 million journeys.
With 460,000 passengers per day, the line 14 is sucessfull.
Secondly 70% of the line 14 users are suburbanite.

Edubejar just use the line 14 in rush hour or even the workdays and we will see the difference. Like the RER A, in off peak hours the RER A is empty.
Quite funny these pictures were took in off peak hours.

Anyway that's right the line 1 is the most used of metro system. The line 13 carrying only 560,000 passengers, it problem are the branchs in the northern section. The southern section is not busy at all (execpted in rush hours)
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #263
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

The fact that the ridership figures for Ligne 14 are so far off target makes you wonder how innacurate the "worlds busiest metro" figures are and how many more people may in fact be using the systems.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #264
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
I thought Metro line 14 was supposed to take quite a lot of the pressure off the most saturated parts of RER A?
The ligne 14 has been opened in 1998 and the RER A was already saturated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
I guess I've always been a bit surprised that Line 1 is the only metro line that goes to La Defense. Perhaps if lines 2,3 or 6 were extended out to La Defense this would offer people more alternatives to Line 1 and also to RER A?
From Paris, you can take the Transilien (suburban train) at Paris St Lazare. There is a lot of trains during the rush hours, the frequency is not so high like the RER A or the L1 but it can be a good alternative because they are not often delayed... You will spend 8mn (instead of 7mn with the RER A a perfect day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
Everytime I return to Paris, Metro line 14 is never busy.
You are a lucky guy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
You're exactly right, Ligne 1 is definitely the most busy line on the Parisian metro system with 166 million journeys each year approximately.
The most used doesn't mean the busiest...
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #265
Minato ku

Haussmann Saint Lazare

Old July 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #266
Minato ku

Same line in Val de Fontenay station

Old July 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #267
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Why does Haussmann Saint Lazare have 4 platforms when it is a through station? Even if it is a terminus most metro termini in Paris have 2 platforms with sidings for reversal...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #268
Minato ku

Cergy Prefecture

Old July 26th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #269
Stuu

Likes (Received): 41

Haussman St Lazare is the end of the line, its not a through station, although Magenta has 4 platforms too, guess it adds to the capacity
Stuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #270
iampuking

I don't see how it can add to the capacity, unless the tunnels themselves are four-tracked. Enlighten me, someone...
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #271
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I don't see how it can add to the capacity, unless the tunnels themselves are four-tracked. Enlighten me, someone...
A train can get in the station while the previous one is still taking passengers. So it definitly adds capacity. Otherwise the train would wait for its turn in the tunnel. Same on line C at Invalides station. And also on line B at Gare du Nord southbound, sometimes 2 B trains get into the station at the same time, one of them using the platform usually used by the D trains.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #272
iampuking

Thanks for the explanation. So it effectively reduces dwell times, couldn't they just do it the cheaper way? Close the doors earlier and the passengers will soon hurry up
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #273
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

yeah thanks for the pictures i imagined that the RER E station looks like an airport or something it even has those electronic boards in them and such thanks.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #274
Minato ku

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. So it effectively reduces dwell times, couldn't they just do it the cheaper way? Close the doors earlier and the passengers will soon hurry up
They tried to do that but it is impossible, in many case when the song before the closure of door begin, the passengers have not finished to exit the train, and passengers in the platform don't begin to go inside it.
This is the case in the RER A, B and D.

The RER E was build to have a capacity of 80,000 passengers per hour but it only carry 200,000 passengers per day.
The RER C is a bit crowded in the eastern part I agree that Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand, Gare Auzterliz and Saint Michel Notre Dame are not empty.

Last edited by Minato ku; July 31st, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #275
lipe_andreense

Likes (Received): 1538

Wow, great thread, congratulations !!!!
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #276
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
They tried to do that but it is impossible, in many case when the song before the closure of door begin, the passengers have not finished to exist the train, and passengers in the platform don't begin to go inside it.
This is the case in the RER A, B and D.

The RER E was build to have a capacity of 80,000 passengers per hour but it only carry 200,000 passengers per day.
The RER C is a bit crowded in the eastern part I agree that Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand, Gare Auzterliz and Saint Michel Notre Dame are not empty.
How long are the dwell times? lower than at least 30 secs is usually needed for a system running at 2 minute intervals (30tph). The Moscow Metro manages to run 38tph, most of the videos i've seen of it in the rush hours the dwell times are usually about 25 secs. However, I don't know how the service is, i.e. whether or not the trains stop or slow down in between the tunnels often.

If RATP can't lower the frequencies enough than they should consider re-organising the train interior (double deck and transverse seating means passengers take longer to get off...) or try and train the passengers better!
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #277
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
If RATP can't lower the frequencies enough than they should consider re-organising the train interior (double deck and transverse seating means passengers take longer to get off...) or try and train the passengers better!
Something that works quite well is to automate the trains: the line 14 (driverless) is the only one where passengers respect the door closing signal because they know that they deal with a computer rather than a human. When you've got stuck between the doors once you don't try again..
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #278
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Something that works quite well is to automate the trains: the line 14 (driverless) is the only one where passengers respect the door closing signal because they know that they deal with a computer rather than a human. When you've got stuck between the doors once you don't try again..
I'd imagine they respect the older rolling stocks too, I wouldn't want to get stuck in there doors!
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #279
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Definitely the fact that some RER trains are double-decker means it takes longer to get off them. If you're smart you would start heading towards the doors a station or two before the one you're getting off at, but on heavily touristed lines people may not realise how close their station is. If you're upstairs and the train is packed, it may be pretty damn difficult to make it all the way down to the doors too.
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM   #280
Minato ku

Chatelet les Halles

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer