daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #361
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
I caught an RER C train from Chatelet Les Halles I think
It was more likely Saint-Michel station, because the RER C doesn't serve Chatelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar samanlı

Do Parisians refer to RER trains as "trains a banlieue"?
nop, we refer to it as RER, but we refer to Transilien trains as "trains de banlieue" though.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #362
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbman View Post
True, I've totally forgotten about RER C stations, it kind of feel like they will never change.

@serdar : As far as I know we just call them RER like we say metro for the metro. The feeling, for me, being that the "trains de banlieue" are much more the Transilien trains, the ones that finishe in the big overground terminus stations. But I say that because I never used them, as a matter of fact I'm just used to the RER A and B, the most effective suburbian lines in Paris. So, maybe, my judgement is impaired. I also think that, in the collective mind, the "train de banlieue" refers more to an uneficient old and low trains.

Like this one :
In fact a line can be uneficient or very reliable regardless the fact that it is RER or "Train de banlieue". And in the collective mind the RER C and D always refer to a late arrival at work
For example the southern lines of the Saint Lazare network are very reliable although not being part of the RER network.
btw the train on your post is on line N, where the service is actually quite good and fast, with one train every 15/30 min untill 1am. The rolling stock is indeed outdated but will be withdrawn within 2-3 years.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #363
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
And in the collective mind the RER C and D always refer to a late arrival at work
With the overcrowding, it is also the case on the RER A.
Sometimes on rush hours it is faster to take the metro line 1 but most commuters don't live in the inner city or inner most suburbs (area served by the metro).
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:17 AM   #364
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanico View Post
It was more likely Saint-Michel station, because the RER C doesn't serve Chatelet.
Ah yes that was the one. I remember it was interesting how the trains showed their destinations... we had to keep a close eye out for "VICK" I think.
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM   #365
Minato ku

This is the only one that I know.
RER C "VICK" deserve Issy Val de Seine, where is the western bound terminal of my bus line.
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #366
Minato ku

Torcy

Old December 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #367
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Nice station!
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #368
Minato ku

Saint-Maur Creteil

Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:31 AM   #369
yippee

Likes (Received): 0

oh,the cardoors are so wide,I love it!
yippee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:27 PM   #370
hoosier

Likes (Received): 59

Any expansion plans for RER?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #371
Minato ku

RER E to Mantes la Jolie via La Defense.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:02 PM   #372
hoosier

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
RER E to Mantes la Jolie via La Defense.
New track construction or just extension of service on existing track?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM   #373
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
New track construction or just extension of service on existing track?
If everything doing well, new underground track from Haussmann Saint Lazare to Nanterre (just after la Defense) and extension of service on existing track to Mantes La Jolie.

It could aslo use the Saint Lazare old track between Haussamnn and La Defense but this project is bad, it would not increase the transportation capacity of La Defense.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM   #374
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Are there any significant projects to increase the service to La Defense? Judging by how crowded Metro 1 and RER A lines are, this seems to be one of the most essential transport projects for Paris?

Also, what's the timeline for the RER E extension?
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #375
disturbman

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Are there any significant projects to increase the service to La Defense? Judging by how crowded Metro 1 and RER A lines are, this seems to be one of the most essential transport projects for Paris?
There is mainly two project for this area :
- One is, as mentioned earlier, the extension of RER E from Saint Lazarre to La Défense. If at first the project was believed to re-use the old tracks of Saint Lazarre it is now allmost sure that a new tunnel linking directly Saint Lazarre to La Défense is going to be build. Surveys having shown that cost were the same in both cases, only the impact on RER A was different. At the advantage of the direct solution. For the moment compeltion is forcast to take place between 2015 and 2020. Personnaly I don't think it will be ready before 2019, 10 years seems an awfully short time to complete a project this big.
- The second one consist in building a new metro ring (called "metrophérique or "Arc Express") that would be fully automated. He will run only in the inner suburbs and linked all metro lines together in a 60km long ring. The La Défense/Saint denis arc is just one of the projected four and should be prioritize over Saint-Denis/Val de Fontenay (North to East) and La Défense/Arcueil-Cachan (West to South). But, as for the moment, studies are in progress. We don't know when construction will start and how much it will cost. We don't even know for sure whereto and wherefrom it will go and even if it will be a fully automated metro or just a new RER. There is big arguments right now between the Region, Mayors and the RATP about this.

So indeed, he project for La Défense are big, essentials ones but they are not the only one. The situation is dire in lot places.
- The M13 is totaly over-crowded and no politics seems to really care. Every tw years they find new ideas and fund new studies about what should be done there.
- But right now, I really think that people just want the "Metrophérique", it is really seen as the priority. And it's to understand, there is no metro line in the suburbs al though they are as dense as Paris center. The need and the demand there is very high.
- There is also the "Tangentielle" projects that are of big importance. It's a tram like (but more like the T2 and T4) ring project. The first part will see construction begin next year and be complete in 2016. The thing is, the Region, that decided which project will be done, is really thrilled by these project. They will maybe go quicker as "Metrophérique" that she sees as too expensive.

In any case, the coming years will see some bitching and action.
disturbman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #376
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Considering the price of the tunnel the RER E is likely to arrive at la Défense from the west first!
There is a project to connect a new station built in la Défense to the heavily populated Seine valley (Le Havre, Rouen, Mantes). From this station there will be suburban trains to Mantes and intercity ("Trains Corail") to le Havre and Rouen in Normandy. On a second phase, when the tunnel will be completed, the new station and the suburban line to Mantes would be integrated to the RER E.
This project would not solve the overcrowding on the RER A but it would ease the access to la Défense from the western suburbs and from Normandy. Most of those commuters actually have to change in Saint-Lazare to go la Défense by using the RER A.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #377
disturbman

I thought that most surely this new station will just be in fact the Nanterre - La Folie station. Don't need to build a whole underground railway station (that's a lot of money), just to connect it to la Défense with métro and/or RER.

Yeah it will not be cheap (1,4B€) but this tunnel is very needed if La Défense is going to grow more. Hopefully the EPAD will participate a little bit to ease the cost for the community.
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #378
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

I hope they do something indeed because M1, M13 and the RER A and B are unbearably packed practically all of the time. And what is unbelievable about the M13 is that it is still packed beyond Place de Clichy going northbound. A lot of its riders seem to be going to Asnières-Gennevilliers at the end or just before the end or something!
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #379
Minato ku

Antony
With snow, not really visible but see the white between the track.

Old January 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #380
disturbman

You can also feel the snow in the whiteness of the air.

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer