daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #381
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

I like the idea of a metro loop line. It is sad that the heavily populated Seine valley is not better connected via rail. I would think that Paris-Rouen-Le Havre corridor would be serviced by high speed rail already.

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #382
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I like the idea of a metro loop line. It is sad that the heavily populated Seine valley is not better connected via rail. I would think that Paris-Rouen-Le Havre corridor would be serviced by high speed rail already.
Isn't Rouen too close to be connected by high-speed rail? Lille is more than 2x the distance than Rouen and that is the shortest distance you can take a TGV from Paris (1hr journey). Meanwhile, Le Havre and nearby region is not very populated. Unless by high-speed you mean something faster than currently available but not a TGV train...just a faster Corail.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #383
Minato ku

No it is not too close, Aix en Provence - Marseille (20km) is possible in TGV.
These are in the same urban area.

Normandie has about 3.5 million inhabitants
Rouen : 530,000 inh
Caen : 370,000 inh
Le Havre : 300,000
I think that it is enouth populated to build a TGV.
There is a quite large commute to Paris from this area, I think that this line would be successfull.
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #384
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
Isn't Rouen too close to be connected by high-speed rail? Lille is more than 2x the distance than Rouen and that is the shortest distance you can take a TGV from Paris (1hr journey).
And what about Reims? (120 km from Paris)

A HSR line between Paris and the Normandie was planned and the principle was even officially approved by the State in April 1992 under the name "LGV Normandie" but further studies have showed that it would have been the less profitable high-speed line in the country: location of Normandie would have made the line end in cul-de-sac, and the gain of time would not have been much significant for the cities concerned, so was (definitly) abandoned.

For a while a TGV service linked Cherbourg and CDG airport but the attendance didn't meet the expectations so the service was called off.

Answers that as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku
I think that it is enouth populated to build a TGV.
There is a quite large commute to Paris from this area, I think that this line would be successfull.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #385
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Perhaps I am the only one here but I quite like Z5300. But if I had to use it everyday I wouldn't think the same. They are dirtier than the other rolling stock because in maintenance workshops they are the last to be done, and SNCF workers often don't have the time to look after.
Are Z5300 built by Altstom?
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #386
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

No, according to Wikipedia this train has been built by:Carel et Fouché, MTE Fives-Lille and Oerlikon.
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:49 AM   #387
Minato ku

MI2N during the second week of january.

Metropole
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:29 AM   #388
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Wow, snow.
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM   #389
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

I hate the emphasis on TGV lines being profitable. Are highways held to the same ridiculous standard?

Transportation should be a public service and funded with tax dollars without expectations of profitability.
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM   #390
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

AFAIK, highways are also meant to be profitable, at least here where bar a few stretches all highways are toll roads.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM   #391
serdar samanlı

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
MI2N during the second week of january.

Metropole
Nice photo. Un train sous la neige
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM   #392
serdar samanlı

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I think there should be a metro or RER loop line to connect rail termini of Paris just like London's Circle Line
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM   #393
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar samanlı View Post
I think there should be a metro or RER loop line to connect rail termini of Paris just like London's Circle Line
There's no need for that as major Paris rail termini are already well-connected between one another via metro or RER.

An extra loop line could only be slower than the RER E connecting Saint-Lazare to Gare du Nord, the RER A connecting Saint-Lazare to Gare de lyon, the metro line 13 connecting Montparnasse to Saint-Lazare, the RER D connecting Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord, etc... As a matter of fact, a better investment in that field would probably be a new RER line "F" connecting Montparnasse to Gare du Nord via Saint-Michel, Châtelet and République, but that's not even studied yet so don't count on it !

Anyway, the planned loop line connecting all business districts of Paris inner suburbs is clearly the priority. This is what is the most needed by far.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #394
Minato ku

Rush hours in the

image hosted on flickr

Picture by FrancoisMalan
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #395
VegaM

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
There's no need for that as major Paris rail termini are already well-connected between one another via metro or RER.

An extra loop line could only be slower than the RER E connecting Saint-Lazare to Gare du Nord, the RER A connecting Saint-Lazare to Gare de lyon, the metro line 13 connecting Montparnasse to Saint-Lazare, the RER D connecting Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord, etc... As a matter of fact, a better investment in that field would probably be a new RER line "F" connecting Montparnasse to Gare du Nord via Saint-Michel, Châtelet and République, but that's not even studied yet so don't count on it !

Anyway, the planned loop line connecting all business districts of Paris inner suburbs is clearly the priority. This is what is the most needed by far.
First they should built two separate tunnels for the RER B and RER D between Chatelet Les Halles and Gare du Nord,... it seems quite uncertain to built a third RER in this axis (the most frequented in the world)
VegaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #396
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaM View Post
First they should built two separate tunnels for the RER B and RER D between Chatelet Les Halles and Gare du Nord,... it seems quite uncertain to built a third RER in this axis (the most frequented in the world)
Yes of course.

I haven't been clear enough. This "RER line F" getting from Montparnasse to Gare du Nord via Saint-Michel, Châtelet and République only exists in my own imagination. No one talks about building it. Of course, creating a specific tunnel for RER line D between Gare du Nord and Châtelet is the real emergency.

My point was simply to say that the said RER line would be more useful than a metro loop between Paris major train stations. Not that it was a priority or anything.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM   #397
Minato ku

Good news.
It is official, the extention of the RER E will be an underground tunnel between Saint Lazare and Nanterre (near la Defense), after this line will use existing track to Mantes la Jolie.

There is three new underground stations planned.
Porte Maillot
Under the roundabound of Porte Maillot this station, connection with the metro line 1 and RER C

La Defense
Under the CNIT, connection with the RER A, metro line 1, suburban trains and light rail T2.

Nanterre-la Folie
Located in an area under in development.

Last edited by Minato ku; February 4th, 2009 at 10:20 AM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #398
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

That's great news. Should take a lot of pressure off RER A and Metro 1 I guess?

When's construction meant to start/finish?
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #399
Minato ku

Maybe for few years years (one decade) after I sure that these three lines will be overcrowded.
Exactly like the RER A, RER D, metro line 1 and 14 are overcrowded between Gare de Lyon and Chatelet les Halles.

This video of 1990 is interresting, according it, the the overcrowd of the RER A will be solved by 1995 with the RER D and line 14.

Last edited by Minato ku; February 4th, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #400
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Porte Maillot
Under the roundabound of Porte Maillot this station, connection with the metro line 1 and RER C
I find this one interesting, but there is a desapointment : there will be no connection between RER E and métro lines M2 & M6 (Well, in fact, M2 has a connection, but in the eastern Paris, and this one is absolutely not easy : there is a 300 m tunnel between Magenta and La Chapelle).

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer