daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #481
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Come on, you're just criticising anything you can find to criticise! If you'd been to Copenhagen you'd complain that nobody told you the airport is in Kastrup. In the Netherlands, how could anybody expect visiting Aussies to know the airport is called Schiphol...? There are some of us who know that Logan Airport is in Boston, and O'hare is in Chicago... before going abroad.
Sorry hans280 but those names you are refering to are the airports names: O'hare and Schiphol are the official names just like Charles de Gaulle. And I'm sure that L2 knows the name "Charles de Gaulle".
Nevertheless "Roissy", which is widely used by French people, is not known abroad. And if the Paris transport staff use this name instead of CDG like they usually do in their annoucements it will not be obvious for a foreigner where the train is heading to.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #482
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Sorry hans280 but those names you are refering to are the airports names: O'hare and Schiphol are the official names just like Charles de Gaulle. And I'm sure that L2 knows the name "Charles de Gaulle".
Nevertheless "Roissy", which is widely used by French people, is not known abroad. And if the Paris transport staff use this name instead of CDG like they usually do in their annoucements it will not be obvious for a foreigner where the train is heading to.
Well, the "affichage" in every RER station does carry the CDG1 and CDG2 designations, though some people may not realise what the letters stand for. - I make an exception for aussies, though, who in my personal experience are world champions in acronyms...

But, Augusto, you don't seem to know Paris very well? Let me state for the record that the Parisians are notoriously unwilling to name places and buildings after politicians who are still in living memory. This point applies REGARDLESS OF the official name given to a place. Yes, CdG airport is commonly referred to as "Roissy". For your information, that's the village next to which it is located, so figuring out the name is hardly rocket science. (For comparison, the Romans commonly refer to the Leonardo da Vinci airport as Fiumicino - likewise named after a village.) The Place Charles de Gaulle (named after the same French politician as "Roissy") is commonly known as L'Etoile. And so on...

I still remember the first time I visited Paris as a teenager 30 years ago. At the Chatelet square I came across a small group of American tourists who were trying to find their way to a nearby museum of modern arts. Predictably they were unable to phrase even one sentence in French, so instead they repeatedly asked passers-by for directions to the "POM-pee-doo Center". They were rewarded by a lot of shaken heads. For a minute I almost felt compassion and considered telling them that the Centre Georges Pompidou is known to the locals as Le Beaubourg, but in the end I desisted. Let those ignorant bastards stew...

Last edited by hans280; October 26th, 2009 at 01:40 PM.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #483
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
but in the end I desisted. Let those ignorant bastards stew...
That is sooo French - love it
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #484
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

The French I stopped for directions were always very helpful and nice, even though I approached them in English (my spoken French is still embarrassingly bad). Granted, I don't ask for directions that often because I kinda learned my way around Paris, I think it's the easiest city to orient yourself in, and I also like to figure things out on my own and only ask for help if I'm in a hurry or get completely lost (which btw, it's much easier in Bucharest than in Paris).

Funny, when I first learned about CDG airport, in my teens, it was as Paris - Roissy. It's only a bit later that I found out it's called Charles de Gaulle. The reverse is true for Rome - Fiumicino (aka Da Vinci), Warsaw - Okecie (aka Chopin) etc.

As for Centre Pompidou, didn't know you guys call it Beaubourg to be honest (is this true today as well?), but I know what the area it's called and where Rue Beaubourg is.
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #485
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
As for Centre Pompidou, didn't know you guys call it Beaubourg to be honest (is this true today as well?), but I know what the area it's called and where Rue Beaubourg is.
I just call it "Beaubourg". ("Je vais à Beaubourg" => "I go to Beaubourg")

Sometimes...

Because I also can call it Centre Pompidou.

Looks like I'm another crazy frenchy...

Last edited by Hugues75; October 28th, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
Hugues75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #486
hans280

The joke is, I'm not French. I live in Paris, it is true, but I'm a resolutely Danish Dane from Denmark.

There is one thing about languages, though: the Danes tend to get very cross when German tourists walk into shops and restaurants in the borderlands and begin to speak their native language without even enquiring whether it's OK with the locals. (The locals DO speak German - but it's nice to be asked.) I cannot swear that I haven't sometimes taken this frustration out on English-only tourists here in Paris: "Of course I speak English, M'sieur, but I don't tend to speak French in downtown New York and hence see no reasion to speak English in Paris..."
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #487
Minato ku

Two propositions for the underground extention of the

-Construction start: 2013
-Cost: €2 billon

According me and most people, it is better to have a stop in Porte Maillot than a direct tunnel between Haussmann Saint Lazare and la Defense.
It would have a connection with the RER C and serve the western end of Paris CBD.
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #488
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The branchs St Germain and Boissy Saint Leger use the MS61 stock while the Poissy Cergy and Marne La Vallee branchs use the MI84 and Mi2N stocks.
I looked at my photos, it was an MI84 train that I rode to Boissy Saint-Leger. Is it really that uncommon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280
There are some of us who know that Logan Airport is in Boston, and O'hare is in Chicago... before going abroad.
Depends where you're coming from. Where I come from, Australian airports tend to be named a generic "[city] International Airport". The airport authorities don't use any other names in their promotion, and in the case of my city's airport they discourage any use of the name "Tullamarine Airport" (named after the suburb it was built on/is now adjacent to).

I still think just a generic "Roissy", without the world "Aeroport" included is very confusing to any non-locals as it gives no hint. As I said, I was well aware what the place is called by the French, it's more look at the average tourist's point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
Indeed I do - and I also know that Charles de Gaulle Etoile is on the Champs Elysee and not anywhere near an airport!
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #489
Cosmin
Euro Mod

You know, now that I think of it, I can't remember seeing just "Roissy" on the displays in RER stations. Where did you see that, L2? Wasn't the display similar to this one...?

Just curious...

P.S.: "La Plaine" is another thing that could confuse tourists if it weren't for that "Stade de France" sticker stuck there.
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #490
hans280

Quote:
According me and most people, it is better to have a stop in Porte Maillot than a direct tunnel between Haussmann Saint Lazare and la Defense. It would have a connection with the RER C and serve the western end of Paris CBD.
On this I agree, but it seems like a bit of silly duplication simply to have the new line E run parallel with the existing line A. Shouldn't it in that case continue through another part of La Defense than the one currently served by the line A station? According to the Sarko plan La Defense is about to expand significantly. Eh bien, one could take the new line E through the new area; people who come on line E from St. Lazare and want to go to the old station need to change to line A at Maillot.
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #491
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

L2, I'm not understanding well where you saw or heard the name Roissy alone without either the acronym CDG or the name Charles de Gaulle Airport? You said something about the strike (I hate those strikes!) and something about limited service and how you almost did not make it to the airport or something like that because the name Roissy (which is what I'm wondering where you saw) was not obvious. On any RER B to CDG airport, you will see the acronym or name for CDG either in the train or on the platform or on a network map. Or it may say Roissy-CDG or Roissy-Charles de Gaulle. And like Cosmin showed above, it will usually say CDG 1 and CDG 2 or something along those lines which refers to the terminal. Then on a map, doesn't it have the airplane icon for airport? Now locals on the other hand, will refer to it sometimes as just Roissy because it's so much shorter but hopefully you did not hear this on a train announcement because that would be wrong. Oh wait, did you take Roissybus since the RER had limited service? Now that could be confusing for sure. Roissybus is the alternative to the RER or taxi when going to CDG. Anyway, I would agree that for the sake of standardization and to eliminate confusion, all airport in the world should have just one name and that this name should be short and not Charles de Gaulle or Leonardo da Vinci or George W. Bush Int'l because this makes locals come up with a shorter version. I like Logan, Orly (Paris-Orly), La Guardia, Heathrow, Gatwick...nice and short.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #492
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Depends where you're coming from. Where I come from, Australian airports tend to be named a generic "[city] International Airport". The airport authorities don't use any other names in their promotion, and in the case of my city's airport they discourage any use of the name "Tullamarine Airport" (named after the suburb it was built on/is now adjacent to).
If you were talking domestic I would agree with you. But the name Tullamarine is still in use for the international terminal. Indeed I have a ticket for a flight arriving in Melbourne in Jan that uses the name Tullamarine.

As for Sydney their international airport is known as Sydney Kingsford Smith.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #493
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
Oh wait, did you take Roissybus since the RER had limited service?
Yeah, that'd make sense... Next time take an Air France coach. More expensive, but comfy ride, baggage handling and 5 routes to choose from (+ connection with Orly).

Anyway, let's get back to RER.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #494
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
I looked at my photos, it was an MI84 train that I rode to Boissy Saint-Leger. Is it really that uncommon?
I wouldn't say that it is very uncommon but is mostly MS61 that serve Boissy branch.

Quote:
Here we have a problem Paris has two international aiports, Orly and Roissy CDG.

Quote:
I still think just a generic "Roissy", without the world "Aeroport" included is very confusing to any non-locals as it gives no hint. As I said, I was well aware what the place is called by the French, it's more look at the average tourist's point of view.
You are right but these informations in France are never good.

Quote:
You know, now that I think of it, I can't remember seeing just "Roissy" on the displays in RER stations. Where did you see that, L2? Wasn't the display similar to this one...?

Just curious...

P.S.: "La Plaine" is another thing that could confuse tourists if it weren't for that "Stade de France" sticker stuck there.
No the SNCF section don't use these planel.
In Gare du Nord, we have LCD or non LCD old screens.

Before 1998 the were a La Plaine station, they built a new station 100m further for the Stade de France.

Quote:
On this I agree, but it seems like a bit of silly duplication simply to have the new line E run parallel with the existing line A. Shouldn't it in that case continue through another part of La Defense than the one currently served by the line A station? According to the Sarko plan La Defense is about to expand significantly. Eh bien, one could take the new line E through the new area; people who come on line E from St. Lazare and want to go to the old station need to change to line A at Maillot.
The RER E will be connected with the RER A and the other lines in la Defense, don't worry.
They will just build a new hall with the RER E station under the CNIT just next to the old station.

The line A don't serve Porte Maillot that's why it is necessary to have a RER E station here.
In the oposite Haussmann Saint Lazare is conneted to Auber RER A station.

La Defense will not become the terminal station of the RER E, it will continue further to Mantes la Jolie via Poissy.
The RER A that already have a branch Poissy will not anymore serve it.

Last edited by Minato ku; December 3rd, 2011 at 01:01 AM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #495
hans280

Quote:
The line A don't serve Porte Maillot that's why it is necessary to have a RER E station here.
In the oposite Haussmann Saint Lazare is conneted to Auber RER A station.
Oh, f***!!! I had totally forgotten that line A does not serve Maillot. Really, I had. I who take the RER C to work every morning...
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #496
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9...tionspanel.jpg

Just curious...
No, it wasn't one of those. It was the monitors on the platform at St Michel-Notre Dam which display a list of the next train destinations, all of which were Gare du Nord. There was a notice down the bottom of the screen saying trains to "Roissy" and the other branch would depart from voie (oops, I mean platforms) 32 & 33 at Nord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku
I wouldn't say that it is very uncommon but is mostly MS61 that serve Boissy branch.
Yah, when I was poking my head out the window a couple of stops before the terminus it passed a yard with assorted stabled stock, all were MS 61 except one 84. Might post the photo when I get home

I like how the RER trains are all driver-only operated. There's one city in Australia (Sydney) with a far less busy double-deck system that still uses guards and they claim that because they're 8 cars and DD it's too big for one person to handle.. they don't even have as many doors as the DDs on RER A do
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #497
Minato ku

Pereire Levallois

Last edited by Minato ku; November 16th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #498
Minato ku

MI09 for the

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #499
Minato ku

Choisy le Roi

Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM   #500
Minato ku

I forgot to post this news.

Eurostar's Strike Woes Grow After Paris Train Derailment
Ayinde O. Chase - AHN Editor December 21, 2009 3:28 p.m. EST

Paris, France (AHN) - A Paris regional express train derailment left at lease 17 people were injured on Sunday. The car jumped the track late Sunday night in Paris' southern region of Choisy-le-Roi.

The derailment forced numerous other trains on the tracks and nearby to be rerouted.

According to reports the train didn't turn over but ran off of the tracks after striking a concrete block. Sunday's mishap made an already The accident added to the French railway's current dilemma of a strike on the line. The strike on the RER line A, which connects eastern and western Paris, entered into its 12th day on Monday. Currently only half of the usual trains are available.

Eurostar, which operates the high-speed cross-channel rail services between London and Paris and Brussels, issued a statement on Monday saying the cost by disruptions as a result of train breakdowns and the strike could amount to an untold millions.

A spokesman for Eurostar said the financial impact is "going to be considerable." Thousands of passengers were left stranded and forced to consider alternative transport so they can reach their destinations in time for Christmas. Additionally the company has also offered compensation to passengers inconvenienced by the strike.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017327468

The section between Juvisy and Gare d'Austerlitz of the RER C is still closed.

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer