daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #841
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Yes, for the RER, you can only use the Ticket T (standard ticket) in Zone 1 (aka dans Paris or Inside Paris). But technically, that is not any different (or is it?) than in London, Berlin, Madrid, etc. where the underground/metro is zone-based as well. In London, you need to have the right ticket for the right zone. In that sense, it is not any different in Paris. Consider the Paris standard ticket (Ticket T) as being a Zone 1 ticket plus an added bonus: you can ride the Metro as far as it goes (usually does not go beyond Zone 2) because the Zone 1 restriction does not apply to the Metro, but it does for the RER.

So the Ticket T is at a minimum comparable to traveling in London with the Travelcard Zone 1 or a comparable ticket:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelcard_Zone_1

In fact, according to Wiki, London Fare zone 1 is described as:

The zone contains all of the central London districts, most of the major tourist attractions, major rail terminals, the whole of the City of London and the West End. It is about 6 miles (9.7 km) from west to east and 4 miles (6.4 km) from north to south.

The City of Paris is roughly an oval between 5.5 and 6 miles across so it sounds even similar in geographic coverage to London's Zone 1.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #842
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Do they still have the carte orange?
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #843
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
So the Ticket T is at a minimum comparable to traveling in London with the Travelcard Zone 1 or a comparable ticket:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelcard_Zone_1

In fact, according to Wiki, London Fare zone 1 is described as:

The zone contains all of the central London districts, most of the major tourist attractions, major rail terminals, the whole of the City of London and the West End. It is about 6 miles (9.7 km) from west to east and 4 miles (6.4 km) from north to south.

The City of Paris is roughly an oval between 5.5 and 6 miles across so it sounds even similar in geographic coverage to London's Zone 1.
There is a major difference though. In London you cannot use the suburban trains (more or less equal to RER/Transilien) on a travelcard, and to change from suburban train to tube you need to pay extra by having a travelcard added to your ticket. In Paris the metro interchange is free and is part of the basic RER ticket and of course a basic 'metro' ticket can be used on RER within zone 1.

It gets worse too in London as you need to pay extra to change between services operated by TfL. For example tube to DLR or tube to overground and vice versa. So in essence the zones you mention only apply to tube journeys.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #844
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
There is a major difference though. In London you cannot use the suburban trains (more or less equal to RER/Transilien) on a travelcard, and to change from suburban train to tube you need to pay extra by having a travelcard added to your ticket. In Paris the metro interchange is free and is part of the basic RER ticket and of course a basic 'metro' ticket can be used on RER within zone 1.
I think you don't understand the London situation at all. Travelcards have always been allowed on any trains in the area it's valid, interchanges (both in-station and selected out of station ones) are all free. The problem has always been tickets that aren't travelcards, though the roll out of Oyster to all rail journeys inside the zones, and the fair changes and move to zonal tickets in the years preceding has abolished the problem for journeys inside London. Tickets to London Terminals can still be bought, but all NR tickets to London can come with travelcards integrated into you ticket, so you get the tube journey/bus journey at a reduced additional cost and in one ticket.

The extension tickets, which don't exist anymore, was if you had a zonal season ticket and wanted to leave those zones on national rail (effectively the same as buying a ticket from a zone boundary to the station you want to go to, which no one had a problem with until smart cards came along and did it automatically on TfL services - now it's on all services).
Quote:
It gets worse too in London as you need to pay extra to change between services operated by TfL. For example tube to DLR or tube to overground and vice versa. So in essence the zones you mention only apply to tube journeys.
That has never been the case, with the exception of buses. There are DLR-only (and Overground-only to Euston on the Watford DC lines) journeys, which are cheaper, so it costs more if you interchange onto the tube, while not going into any extra fare zones, but the opposite isn't true - there's no financial penalty, nor has there been for changing from the tube to the Overground or DLR, or vice versa, with the exception of some journeys on the DLR-, or Overground-, only are cheaper than the standard zonal fare.

In short, there is integrated ticketing within the London zones and all train-train interchanges are free (though getting on a bus is still considered starting a new journey if using the Oyster smart card - but not travelcard).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #845
aliesperet
Alfenaar!

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Do they still have the carte orange?
You will find the answer here:
http://tinyurl.com/3gf5ca9
aliesperet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #846
Minato ku

The carte orange don't exist anymore, it was remplaced by the Navigo monthly and weekly pass.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #847
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The standart ticket is called Ticket T

Ticket T allows.
-The use of the metro
-The use of the RER within the zone 1
-The use of the bus and tramway
-The interchange between the metro and RER
-The interchange between several bus line within a time limit of 90 minutes
-The interchange between between the bus and the tramway within a time limit of 90 minutes.

But you cannot use the same ticket for a transfer between the bus or tramway and the metro or RER.
I think I remember some years ago T Ticket used to have an F for Montmartre's funicular also. It might have been a daydream, but I'm sure there were 5 items, not only 4.
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #848
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
I think you don't understand the London situation at all. Travelcards have always been allowed on any trains in the area it's valid, interchanges (both in-station and selected out of station ones) are all free. The problem has always been tickets that aren't travelcards, though the roll out of Oyster to all rail journeys inside the zones, and the fair changes and move to zonal tickets in the years preceding has abolished the problem for journeys inside London. Tickets to London Terminals can still be bought, but all NR tickets to London can come with travelcards integrated into you ticket, so you get the tube journey/bus journey at a reduced additional cost and in one ticket.
Didn't realise the travel card could be used on suburban trains, but for a rail to tube journey you said it, the travel card is added at additional cost, which is not the case in Paris where the transfer from RER to metro is not an additional cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
That has never been the case, with the exception of buses. There are DLR-only (and Overground-only to Euston on the Watford DC lines) journeys, which are cheaper, so it costs more if you interchange onto the tube, while not going into any extra fare zones, but the opposite isn't true - there's no financial penalty, nor has there been for changing from the tube to the Overground or DLR, or vice versa, with the exception of some journeys on the DLR-, or Overground-, only are cheaper than the standard zonal fare.

In short, there is integrated ticketing within the London zones and all train-train interchanges are free (though getting on a bus is still considered starting a new journey if using the Oyster smart card - but not travelcard).
Really? News to me. When ever I changed from tube to DLR or overground I always swiped my Oyster card and got charged an additional fare. If interchange between the two, in particular tube to overground was free why do they have Oyster readers at tube/overground interchange stations even where the interchange is on the paid side? Whitechapel for example?
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #849
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Didn't realise the travel card could be used on suburban trains, but for a rail to tube journey you said it, the travel card is added at additional cost, which is not the case in Paris where the transfer from RER to metro is not an additional cost.
There's only additional cost when coming from outside London, and not crossing the city.
Quote:
Really? News to me. When ever I changed from tube to DLR or overground I always swiped my Oyster card and got charged an additional fare.
I'd imagine it would have taken the amount it takes off of you when you touch in, given back some to charge the correct fare when you touched out, then took that amount back again when you touched in again, and charging you the correct fare when you touched out again. Either that or you massively ballsed up (which may not have been your fault - it's not massively clear where you are meant to touch in and out) and made the system think that you had left the system, ended the journey and then started a new one.
Quote:
If interchange between the two, in particular tube to overground was free why do they have Oyster readers at tube/overground interchange stations even where the interchange is on the paid side? Whitechapel for example?
If it was a pink pad, it's a routing pad, if it was a yellow pad, it would have probably been for a barrier-less exit from the station (which aren't always open). I really don't know Whitechapel very well - perhaps ask this question on one of the Underground threads?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM   #850
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Quote:
The carte orange don't exist anymore, it was remplaced by the Navigo monthly and weekly pass.

What exactly was carte orange?
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM   #851
Minato ku

The wikipedia article will give better explanation than me. Carte Orange.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:08 PM   #852
HARTride 2012

Oh, ok. Thank you. I will look into that.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:16 PM   #853
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9928

Quote:
The wikipedia article will give better explanation than me.
As well as this video from the 70s :

parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #854
Cercanias Santiago
BANNED

Likes (Received): 134

RER Nouvelles

Cercanias Santiago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #855
HARTride 2012

May someone summarize the video in English please?
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #856
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

a stroller with twins fell off to the rails, passengers waiting for RER did a sign to the motorman while it was getting to the station.

emergency brake and the train moved the stroller with the babies inside for some meters but they survived with no injuries.

I imagine the mother's neurotic crisis...
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:36 AM   #857
HARTride 2012

OMG! These kinds of stories just break my heart! Thank goodness the kids survived!
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #858
Minato ku

Old June 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #859
Minato ku

Today in morning rush hours, the RER was interrupted between Charles-de-Gaulle-Etoile and Nanterre because of smoke at la Defense station.
As a result at Saint Lazare, where there are commuter trains to La Defense

Picture by m4rgaux

picture by Guillaume Robieux

Picture by PalaEksa
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #860
HARTride 2012

I definitely would NOT want to be in that mess.

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer