daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #121
ChaseCarver

Likes (Received): 135

Will there be a 'tunnel' between Magenta and Chateau-Landon ???
ChaseCarver no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #122
Minato ku

Yes, the tunnel between Magneta and Chateau-Landon should be opened in 2012.

A little ride in RER E central station

Magenta Gare du Nord

RER E In direction of Haussman Saint Lazare.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #123
Minato ku

Haussmann Saint Lazare

Old January 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #124
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I love the giant RER stations, I hope when Crossrail is built, they are to a similar standard, but it seems unlikely...

Was Auber on RER A originally like the RER E stations with a high curved ceiling, but they decided to cover it up to place back-lit advertisements there instead?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #125
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
Actually, this would deserve to be double checked.

We have only old and partial data for the RER A. The 273 million annual trafic figure in 2004 excludes the SNCF sections of the line (branches to Cergy and Poissy). Furthermore, traffic has massively increased on the RER in the recent years (mainly due to Deloanöe's policy to limit automobile traffic). Finally, datas for the Moscow metro are about daily ridership whereas those of RER are about annual ridership, and the conversion between both figures isn't that easy.

Well, all this to say that Moscow's purple line may be busier than the RER A, but this is really not sure.
still, stats for moscow. daily ridership on 27 december 2006.

http://www.mosmetro.ru/files/4904528...d/2006en-1.pdf
http://www.mosmetro.ru/files/1688536...f/2006en-2.pdf
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #126
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I love the giant RER stations, I hope when Crossrail is built, they are to a similar standard, but it seems unlikely...

Was Auber on RER A originally like the RER E stations with a high curved ceiling, but they decided to cover it up to place back-lit advertisements there instead?

This is that's we call cathedral station. These are great but truly expensive
For the RER A the cost of Charles de Gaulle Etoile, Auber and Nation station was about €3 billion.
These three station was more expensive than the whole Victoria line built at the same time.

I have a book with plan of huge RER stations I will post them later.

Last edited by Minato ku; May 7th, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Minato ku está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #127
Minato ku

Auber

Click to enlarge

Last edited by Minato ku; January 24th, 2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #128
Minato ku

Chatelet les Halles station by metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
Here is a map of Châtelet les Halles as it was in the early 80's :

Click to enlarge

This map is taken from an 80's version of the Larousse encyclopedia. As you can see, RER D and Metro line 14 weren't built yet. Furthermore, Gare du Nord remains RER B terminus since the line hasn't yet been extended northbound.

Actually, RER D tunnels are still called in this map "SNCF" with white tunnels. It was then only a project, but the station in itself was already built to host it. On the other side, the Paris metro line 14 wasn't even planned yet. The station is currently built right below the metro line 1 station, and its tunnel gets below line 11 and then is built between line 7 and RER A tunnels at the bottom left of the picture.

There's also a motor vehicles tunnel which isn't visible on the main map but which is shown on the upper left scheme right beside Les Halles line 4 station. That tunnel is great as there's a lot of turns and entries and exits making of it a real maze where it is easy to get lost.

Anyway, when I'm there, I have the feeling that Paris is a living body and that this Châtelet-les Halles station is its heart. The metro and RER tunnels are its arteries, trains are its blood, and Parisians are its red blood cells. While waiting the subway coming, if I focus, I can even hear the heart beating... though in most of case these are generally musicians playing in the metro that I hear from far away.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #129
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
These three station was more expensive than the whole Victoria line built at the same time.
I bet it paid off though, the Victoria line has overcrowding at Victoria station in the peaks, its so bad that they have to shut the platforms regularly because they were built too narrow. RER probably has no kind of problems because the planners thought ahead...

Great diagrams by the way! Do you know why RER lines were constructed with both tracks in one large tunnel and side platforms instead of two single bore tunnels with an island platform?

Also, regarding that diagram of Chatelet, were the RER A platforms built before the RER B and cross-platform interchange built later?
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #130
Minato ku

It is french style, in France we prefer the side platforms instead of the island platform.
That's why there is few island plaforms in France.

In the central Paris RER only Saint Michel Notre Dame station have two single bore tunnels with an island platform. It was opened in 1988 and it is the only tube style station in Paris.

Actually the RER A and B opened at the same time in Chatelet les Halles. (1977)
Even if most stations was opened before 1977, it is only with the opening of Chatelet les Halles that the name RER was created.
Before the RER A was the Saint Germain (western bound) and Vincenne (easter bound) and the RER B (southern bound) was called Sceaux line.

EDIT : I have forgotten one station with two single bore tunnels with an island platform : Gare de Lyon.
It is also the the case of Chatelet les Halles for the RER A and B.

Last edited by Minato ku; June 19th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #131
iampuking

Thanks for your information, do you know if the RER is deep level or shallow.

Sorry, but I don't really understand your final paragraph..
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #132
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

The RER is simply amazing, really unlike I've ever seen or heard about (except the Crossrail, which is a far long way off)...

Is it adviceable if a tourist like me uses the RER rather than the Metro?
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #133
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8821

As someone who was a tourist I found myself using the metro mainly in the inner city, I only touched RER A briefly but the other lines I left alone for regular touring.

For access to the airport (CDG) I used RER B and so that is the most likely route into the city for you, but I reckon you'll spend most of your time on the metro like I did.

With relation to your comment about uniqueness: the RER on the whole is like the German S-bahn systems in Berlin and Hamburg though on a much more intense scale on the whole, so if you've used those before, you'll know what the system is like.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #134
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 453

When I was in Paris I did mainly use the metro to get around the city and its sights but did use the RER to get out into the suburbs as I like to see a city's surrounds not just the CBD. The RER is again the best way to get to and from the airport, I wouldn't trust the traffic on the roads. Great spot to do a bit of trainspotting is just north of Gare De Nord, sat there for a while and was amazed at how many varieties and number of trains that went past, but had to get back to the laundromat.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #135
Minato ku

The problem of the RER, it is not very usefull for tourist because it don't serve (exept the RER C) the tourist places
So if you want only see the touristy romantic, Paris RER is not the best system. If you want see Paris the real city the RER is prefect.

Some pictures of the RER.

Old January 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #136
ddes

Likes (Received): 935

Haha. Thanks for the advice...

Maybe when I visit Paris sometime later this year, I'll just take the RER for the sake of taking the RER...
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #137
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Here's an excuse to use the RER in a touristy way, rather than just taking it to see the "real Paris" of the locals in case you are only visiting for 5 days or less:

Take RER A to Saint-Germain-en-Laye and visit
1) Château de Saint-Germain-en-Laye: This French royal palace is on the west end of RER A, on the A1 branch (many RER lines branch off). According to Wikipedia, the chateau houses today the Musée d'Archéologie Nationale (which I've visted) and I found the artifacts dating from Paleolithic to Merovingian times amazing. The chateau was first built in 1112, expanded by Saint Louis in the 1230s, of which the Gothic chapel remains, burned in 1346 by Edward of Woodstock, Prince of Wales, aka the Black Prince (a lot of history there for tourists) , and rebuilt by King Charles V in the 1360s on the old foundations. The current chateau was reconstructed by François I in 1539 and expanded several times, and it saw Louis XIV be born. Anyway, you can stroll through this bourgeois suburban town and get an amazing view of Paris and La Défense from afar because of a huge open park-like field that is quite high.

2) Mane-la-Vallée station inside Disneyland Paris on the east end of RER A, on the A4 branch.

3) As an alternative heading eastbound, you can take the RER A to either Fontenay-sous-Bois or Nogent-sur-Marne on the A2 branch and spend some time visiting the 2-block-wide strip of mansions or big detached houses that sorround the huge park Bois de Vincennes (Vincennes Woods). This is also an excuse to cross the park on a beautiful day until arriving at the Paris end in addition to seeing some detached mansions near Paris-proper.

Take RER B to and from CDG Airport Terminals 1 or 2 north of Paris or Antony station for connection on the Orlyval to Orly Airport south of Paris if you'll be flying from/to those airports. In addition, you can use it for:

1) Stade de France although you may want to take the métro there instead

2) Parc de Sceaux to see the beautiful park laid out by the famous landscape architect André Le Nôtre and the Château de Sceaux. You can also visit the wealthy suburban town of Sceaux and its many beautiful mansions and large detached houses surrounding the park, as well as Sceaux's old center.

Take RER C to Versailles - Rive Gauche (C5) or Versailles - Chantiers (C7 if you don't mind a longer walk to the palace) to visit Chateau de Versailles

Take RER D to Melun at the south-end of branch D2 which is a very long ride. You can visit this far-distant suburb that almost detached from the rest of the continuous suburbs that it's like a provincial town. Plus it's only about 3.7 linear miles from the Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte, where NBA star Tony Parker of the San Antonio spurs got married recently. It's gardens were also designed by the famous André le Nôtre.

RER E doesn't go anywhere of interest to tourists that I know of but I like the double-decker trains and some of the stations on that line like Haussman St-Lazare and Magenta inside Paris. If I wanted to head out of Paris-proper on this line I would go to one of the last two stations on the E4 branch end which ends with Chelles-Gournay station. Those last 2 stations are right on typical middle-class detached-house neighborhoods of Greater Paris and you can visit for a bit before heading back to the station.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #138
Good

Likes (Received): 595

Very good advice about placesof interest in Greater Paris.
In my opinion, you could also take the RER to visit the following sites:
- The castle of Maisons-Laffite, one of the most beautiful French baroque château, on the RER A
- Le Vésinet, a garden-city purposely built for the happy few in the 19th century, dotted with beautiful mansions designed in an eclectif style typical of that time, around artificial lakes, rivers and parks, on the RER A
- Vincennes, with an impressive medieval castle and the tallest medieval dongeon in Europe (RER A, but also Metro line 1)
Good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #139
Minato ku

MI84 at Neuilly Plaisance station (RER A)
I don't know why but I love this picture.

metropole
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #140
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101808

Can anyone tell me what are the trains' lengths on each line? What is also about trains' width and passenger capacity?
What area is covered and served by RER? In Sq km.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Last edited by _Night City Dream_; January 30th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer