daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #1561
iranair777

Likes (Received): 7

Hello!
I'm visiting Paris this June and was wondering what ticketing system you have? we will be three students who would like the lowest fare staying for 4 days. Is there a oyster like system as in London? We have Interrail tickets, can they be used for discounted travel? We will mainly be travelling in the centre of Paris and a one day trip to the palace of Versailles. I've checked the local travel companies website but it's confusing me!
iranair777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #1562
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10830

The ideal solution for you is the "Paris Visite" ticket. You can buy it at any ticket vending machine. You'll probably need the one for 5 days, which costs 34.7 euro for the zones 1 to 3 and can be used on metro, bus, tram or RER. It will cover you completely and will be great value for money if you move around a bit instead of just hanging in the city centre by foot. If you're on a budget, you can also take the 3 day ticket at 24.1 euro.

http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/r_61654/parisvisite/

For Versailles the best option is to buy sepparate tickets when you go.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #1563
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Same here. The Paris Visite is your best bet. I used it when I visited Paris back in 2009.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #1564
Ledindondelafarce

Likes (Received): 23

It depends a lot on where you might want to go and how often. Your interrail pass won't be very useful to travel around Paris.
Also Paris visit is one of the most expensive way of taking public transit in Paris

If you stay during a whole week (like from Wednesday to Sunday, not from Friday to Monday) you might consider buying a Navigo semaine . It's 20,40€ for zones 1-2, 26,40€ for zones 1-3 and 32€ for zones 1-4. It gives you unlimited transit (bus, tram, RER, metro) within these zones for one calendar week. You'd also need to buy "Navigo découverte" at a ticket office for 5€. The choice of zones depends on where you want to go : zones 1-2 cover most of touristic Paris and you can use every Metro line (lines refered as M1, M2, etc...). However La Défense is in zone 3 ( But reachable with a zone 1-2 navigo through the Metro ), Versailles in zone 4, Roissy airport in zone 5. You can still buy "complément de parcours" ( at ticket vending machines), instead of paying a full central Paris - Versailles ticket once you bought your navigo zones 1-2, you only pay what's left to travel from the last RER C station reachable with your pass to Versailles. IMO a navigo 1-2 + compléments de parcours when you want to go farther is the cheapest and best solution, yet a bit more complicated as you need to find an open ticket office - but if you come in through one of the main train station this shouldn't be too hard.

If you're not planning on using a lot the métro (most distances in Paris are walkable, most metro stations are only separated by 500m), you can buy 10 metro tickets for 13,70€. One ticket gives you access to either metro or bus and tram for one hour. You'll need to buy a special ticket to travel farther ( RER and Transilien lines, the ones you'll use to go to Versailles have special origin-destination tickets that you can find easily in every ticket vending machine or office).

However if what you want is simplicity and 10€ don't matter to you, buy Paris-visit tickets.
Hope you have a good time in Paris !
Ledindondelafarce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #1565
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10830

^ buying the Navigo card for one week is a bit complicated though for foreign tourists, which is why I don't really recommend it just to save a few euros. You need to buy something from an office, then go to the ticket machine to charge the one week fare, then go back to the office. This might also test your French (many employees know English but not all). You also need an ID photo of the right size, if yours doesn't fit you'll have to look for a French-only speaking machine to get yourself a photo.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #1566
Minato ku

Navigo Decouverte card can be purchased in any ticket counter, the agents can charge the card.
As long the station has a ticket counter (not just an information counter), this is pretty easy and fast.
You just need to have a small photo ID that you will put on the card.
Old May 18th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #1567
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

I strongly agree with Minato Ku.

I found a website in english :

http://www.transilien.com/?siteLanguage=en

Speaking about tickets and fares... Here are some items : on the right, my last carte Orange (the pass that predated the Navigo) ; in the middle, my first carte orange (1982 or 1983 i think) ; and on the left... a first class ticket ! The subway in Paris was the only one to have two classes (I recently found this one in an old book inherited from my grand parents, it was probably used as a bookmark...) :

@Minato ku : if you're interested, i saw something astonishing (IMO) on the RER C when i was in Paris three weeks ago.

Sorry i tried to shoot pictures but their quality is too bad...

On all LCD screens on this line, there was a gross mistake in the name of the station "Champ de Mars - Tour Eiffel" : the programmer wrote "tour Effeil" instead of "tour Eiffel" !

I reported this to an employee but it seems that it was not really concerned...

Minato ku, gambarini liked this post

Last edited by VincentB_; May 18th, 2014 at 01:57 PM.
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1568
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Cleanliness and perception of safety is a huge issue on both the Metro and RER IMO. There are some dodgy stations in London too, but their number pales compared with the ones in Paris. While not as bad as Rome or Brussels, things like the omnipresent urine smell should be tackled with tough action...
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1569
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentB_ View Post
The subway in Paris was the only one to have two classes
Was it? Even in the early days of the Tube?
Now the Arabs have restored the first class. In Dubei's metro the Emiratis don't have to travel with all the workers coming from the Indian sub continent (which would be a nightmare for them..).
It will be the same in Saudi Arabia.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #1570
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Cleanliness and perception of safety is a huge issue on both the Metro and RER IMO. There are some dodgy stations in London too, but their number pales compared with the ones in Paris. While not as bad as Rome or Brussels, things like the omnipresent urine smell should be tackled with tough action...
It's the overall upkeep of the stations that needs to be taken more seriously in consideration.

As fot the perception of safety, I've never felt threatened, as the Métro is quite crowded.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1571
Robi_damian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
As fot the perception of safety, I've never felt threatened, as the Métro is quite crowded.
At night it feels dodgy. In London, staff are very often present at platform level, but in Paris this is not as much the case. Anyway, that is only at very late hours in very remote stations...
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1572
Robi_damian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Was it? Even in the early days of the Tube?
Now the Arabs have restored the first class. In Dubei's metro the Emiratis don't have to travel with all the workers coming from the Indian sub continent (which would be a nightmare for them..).
It will be the same in Saudi Arabia.
London had them too in the early days. But do note that the London underground started functionally as a mainline railway in all conceptual aspects...
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #1573
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
At night it feels dodgy. In London, staff are very often present at platform level, but in Paris this is not as much the case. Anyway, that is only at very late hours in very remote stations...
True. But it's also quite hard to be alone in a station or on a train in (central) Paris.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #1574
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

RER C

The banks of the river Seine are probably my favorite place in Paris.

As the central section of the RER C is very close to the river, you can access some stations directly from there.

Here is an access to the station Saint Michel :

The stairs on the left leads directly to the platform.

gambarini, Minato ku liked this post
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #1575
gambarini

Likes (Received): 147

Chatelet - Les Halles

Minato ku, donquichotedelmedina liked this post

Last edited by gambarini; May 22nd, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
gambarini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:02 AM   #1576
Minato ku

The video only shows the RER A.

Auber
Renovation works

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:20 AM   #1577
HARTride 2012

I hope the station will look much better when its done.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:44 PM   #1578
gambarini

Likes (Received): 147

Sucy-Bonneuil
Old June 12th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #1579
Minato ku

Fontainebleau-Forêt

This station is not really a station, it doesn't appear on map.
This stop located inside the forest of Fontainebleau is served by few trains during the week-ends and holiday.
Other particularly, the stop is for exit only and it is served only by southbound trains (coming from Paris).

alexandru.mircea, caiocco liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #1580
HARTride 2012

Doesn't look safe to get off at during night time. Does one have to take a hike to return to a nearby street?

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer