daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #161
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

exactly also i think the BART Metro in SF is also like the RER.

also London is joining too with the Crossrail project as well and they have the FCC as well (First Capital Connect)

also if anyone is out there can anybody put more pictures of it i mean stations like La Defense and also the world's largest underground station or something like that?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #162
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

- a bit more artistic photos

Trains at Rueil-Malmaison station on RER A1

Waiting for the train late at night - RER A4

Through the haze near La Défense

La Défense station

Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #163
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I guess the fascination for the RER comes from the fact that the distinction is very clear; it's sort of an express metro cum commuter rail; which in a way, is a commuter's wet dream come true...
Hopefully one day you'll do the same with the KTM to JB
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #164
Minato ku

Thanks for the picture

AUBER

Click to enlarge

Located in the heart of Paris CBD, linked at 9 subway line, one other RER line and a suburbain rail station.
Auber is really crowded during the rush hour the week day but can be really empty the week end, especially the sunday.

Haussmann-Saint Lazare Havre-Caumartin Auber Opera

Auber is just a part of this huge underground complex with two huge RER station (Auber and Haussman Saint Lazare).
One subway ticket is enouth to visit the whole complex. but it is really big.
Myself I don't know completly this maze of tunnel.

Picture by Thierry Lothon
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Picture by bladsurb
image hosted on flickr

Pictures by TV Boy
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Picture by Éole
image hosted on flickr

Picture by spanaut
image hosted on flickr

Picture by Brunoboris
image hosted on flickr
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM   #165
Songoten2554

WOW Holy Shinkies !!!!! (Tommy Boy Quote) Aubur is huge oh man what a Cavern wow a huge station yeah i could get lost there too bad i am not in paris or something.
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #166
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Musée d'Orsay

...and at the surface, the museum itself!
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #167
Songoten2554

wow now i can look at that station look similar to a NYC Subway station and when you go up its a museum wow very well done.

i remember the NYC Subway system in that there is a station underground and to the left of the station is the entrance of the museum underground.

its the museum of the national History in New York City but this is like it too what a wonderful station too bad i won't be able to live in Paris or europe for that matter.
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #168
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
wow now i can look at that station look similar to a NYC Subway station and when you go up its a museum wow very well done.

i remember the NYC Subway system in that there is a station underground and to the left of the station is the entrance of the museum underground.

its the museum of the national History in New York City but this is like it too what a wonderful station too bad i won't be able to live in Paris or europe for that matter.
The museum was initially a railway station known as "Gare d'Orsay". When the RER C has been created, the rail tracks became used strictly for RER services, the rail station on surface lost its purpose and has been replaced by a museum dedicated to impressionism, the Musée d'Orsay (actually the largest collection of impressionist paintings worldwide). That collection was initially at the Louvre, which is just in front on the other bank of the Seine.

However, there's also a direct entry to the Louvre museum from "Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre" metro station. When they've built the Pyramid, they've actually dug the entrance of the museum to make it larger. In digging it, they've decided to expand it with a small shopping center, the "Caroussel du Louvre" which is directly linked to the metro.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #169
Minato ku

Old April 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #170
Songoten2554

what does Sortie means i keep seeing it on metro's and RER stations?

was that station and RER station originally or was that Station part of the Railway station of the national Railway system of Paris?
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #171
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Sortie means exit. Sortie de secours means emergency exit.

What station are you referring to? Musée d'Orsay or the last station posted by Minato?
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #172
Songoten2554

the last station posted by minato
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #173
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Well, AFAIK, the biggest part of the system was built specifically for the RER in the '60s and '70s, so it wasn't a case of converting existing tracks and station to be used by the RER, but of actually building an entirely new system all together.

Maybe Minato can confirm this.
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #174
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
what does Sortie means i keep seeing it on metro's and RER stations?

was that station and RER station originally or was that Station part of the Railway station of the national Railway system of Paris?
Minato's home station, Gentilly (RER B) has been inaugurated in 1846. It's been renovated in the 70's when the line has been extended northbound to become the RER B. This explains its 1970's feel.

One of the most beautiful station on the line is Luxembourg, which has been inaugurated in 1895. It used to be the terminus of the "ligne de Sceaux" (Sceaux line) untill the line had been extended to Châtelet in 1977 and became the RER B.

Old April 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #175
Songoten2554

what picture is that station

do you know minato?
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #176
Minato ku

The station posted by Metroplitan is the station Luxembourg.
In fact I posted to station Gentilly in the two first pictures and Laplace in the last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
Well, AFAIK, the biggest part of the system was built specifically for the RER in the '60s and '70s, so it wasn't a case of converting existing tracks and station to be used by the RER, but of actually building an entirely new system all together.

Maybe Minato can confirm this.
Unfortunely no, the biggest part of the system was build before and converted for the RER.

Thses station posted in my picture was before a part of the Sceaux line, already exploited by the CMP (Metropolian compagny of Paris, the ex compagny of Paris metro) and the RATP since 1946.
So before the line de Sceaux was already like a RER, when this line was extented to Luxemburg at Chatelet les Halles it become the RER B.

The line A was in the West the line Saint Germain (the oldest passengers train line in France, with this terminus in Saint Lazare station), it was entierelly upgrated in the end of the 1960's this route was modified and extented at La La Defense and Auber.
At the East it was the Vincennes line with its terminal station at Bastille (the station was destroyed in the 1980's for build a new Opera and the elevated tracks inside inner Paris are used as the park). The line entierly upgrated in the end of the 1960's (before steam train run on it) the route was modified and extended at Nation.

In 1970 the RER A was two line separated, these lines become the RER A when the two lines was extended to Chatelet les Halles in 1977.
After a new branch openend in the east wich was entierly new.

The RER C is an exception because unlike the other RER line its underground section is old, it was build in 1900. (expected the part between Musee d'Orsay and Invalide), so for maintance it close every summer.

Last edited by Minato ku; April 28th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #177
Cosmin
Euro Mod

I see. Well, sorry for my mistake.
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #178
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, you're not totally wrong.
Indeed, Minato Ku is right, the suburban parts of the network have been built mostly during the 19th century and already existed. However, the core of the
network in Central Paris, where RER lines are connected to one another and to metro lines, have been built since the mid 1960's. As such, yes, the RER system
as an interconnected network is new, however, it uses older infrastructures, especially in the suburbs.

Here, you can see the history of the rail tracks used nowadays by the RER B.

Old April 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #179
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Very interesting diagram for RER B. Are there similar diagrams for the other lines? RER E would be interesting... how much of it is actually new?
Thanks.
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #180
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Very interesting diagram for RER B. Are there similar diagrams for the other lines? RER E would be interesting... how much of it is actually new?
Thanks.
Only the part between Magenta & Haussmann-Saint-Lazare (in fact, the suburban part of the line in Paris), opened in 1999. All the rest was part of the eastern suburban network (it started from Paris - Gare de l'est).

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer