daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #1781
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Average number of passenger journeys per weekday.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #1782
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That, plus average passengers per square metre on board during the morning rush.
Old February 13th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #1783
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That doesn't tell you how busy it is. The RER A is much longer than most metro lines, so of course there is a greater chance there are a higher number of people taking the RER compared to the metro simply due to its greater reach.

Line M1 is the busiest metro line at 207 million people per year (2010). RER A has 309.36 million people per year. RER A carries more people.

M1 is 16.6km long whereas RER A is 109km long. There are 12.47 million people carried per km on M1 compared to 2.84 million people per km on RER A. Therefore I would conclude M1 is busier, but RER A carries more people. Very simplistic of course as I cannot be bothered to do more calculations than that (given carriage sizes vary between RER A and M1 too as RER A trains are much longer than M1, but M1 is more frequent as well than RER A), but it gives an idea that a number might not tell the full story.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #1784
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

I appreciate the information, but your response can be compared to someone asking whether Sweden or Denmark is more populated, and you going into detail explaining that while Sweden has a higher total population, Denmark has a much higher population density, so therefore Denmark is actually more populated and then posting a breakdown of the population and density statistics. If the person is only wondering about the total quantity, then the density is a separate issue.

Besides, I don't agree with the premise that a line is "busier" based solely on the number of riders per route km. On a long suburban line, most people are traveling much further and therefore are staying on the train for a much greater distance. So the urban line may not actually be carrying a greater number of people at any given moment. In fact the opposite may be true given how much larger the RER trains are compared to metro trains. The urban line may just be exchanging riders much more frequently due to people constantly getting on an off and each person being counted as a separate trip despite the shortness of the trip, while on the suburban line each person is only counted once but traveling a long distance.

But most accurate measure to determine that "busyness" of a line would be the total number of passenger kms worth of transportation it provides over a given period. As an example, if a 20 km line transported 5 people across 4km each with person "A" getting on and riding for 4km and getting off, then person "B" getting on for 4km and so on, that would equate to the same number of passenger kms as if it transported one person the whole 20km but in the first scenario the line would have ridership 5X higher than in the second despite the train not actually being any fuller and never carrying any more than one passenger .

But that's hard to determine unless you know not only the length of the line and the number of trips it provides but also the average distance of each trip which a lot of agencies don't seem to report.

- MysticMcGoo
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #1785
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Again, passenger kms skews towards a long line, obviously a longer line will have a higher amount of passenger kms too. It would take 10 people riding a 10km line to equal one person riding a 100km line. Obviously the fuller train on the shorter line will feel "busier" than the longer, comparatively empty train. That's why I said it's rather simplistic in general to do what I did, but it does give an impression that ridership alone is not enough to determine "busyness". If you just asked for the line with the highest ridership, then no, nothing can match the RER A in Paris. But you didn't, you asked for the busiest line and that gives you a much more complex answer.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #1786
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

how many percent now double-deck to a simple trains in RER A? In all RER system? Not so correct of course
subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #1787
Minato ku

Avoid to take the annual ridership of Paris's railway lines that you find on Wikipedia, those datas exclude passengers coming from other lines of the same network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbotazh View Post
how many percent now double-deck to a simple trains in RER A? In all RER system? Not so correct of course
Unfortunately, I don't have details of the trains currently in service on the RER A. I can say that double decker train are the majority of train on the RER A.
In the whole RER network double decker are the majority, only RER A and B have single level trains.
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #1788
Iron_

Likes (Received): 659

Today there are 85/140 MI 09 double-deck trains in service.

Minato ku liked this post
Iron_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #1789
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Again, passenger kms skews towards a long line, obviously a longer line will have a higher amount of passenger kms too. It would take 10 people riding a 10km line to equal one person riding a 100km line. Obviously the fuller train on the shorter line will feel "busier" than the longer, comparatively empty train. That's why I said it's rather simplistic in general to do what I did, but it does give an impression that ridership alone is not enough to determine "busyness". If you just asked for the line with the highest ridership, then no, nothing can match the RER A in Paris. But you didn't, you asked for the busiest line and that gives you a much more complex answer.
It sounds to me like what you're referring to is crowdedness rather than busyness. Of course both terms are subjective and based on how people perceive something rather than an actual statistic. But I disagree that a line that is longer and therefore has it's activity spread over a larger service area is less "busy" than one with the activity more condensed. It may (or may not) be less crowded, but I still feel that "busy" best signifies the total amount how much service it provides rather than how condensed the service area is.

- MysticMcGoo
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #1790
Minato ku

Montigny - Beauchamp
Z 50000 have retractable step for low platform like here
Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:51 PM   #1791
Minato ku

The news about the MI09 was posted above but the STIF also ordered Z 50000 for the Transilien L.
Quote:
Stif approves €1.5bn investment in 101 new trains for Paris
Written by Keith Barrow Thursday, February 12, 2015
Finally, Stif will place a €177.6m order with Bombardier for 19 additional class Z 50000 Francilien EMUs for suburban Line L, which runs west from Paris Saint-Lazare and carries around 312,000 passengers per day. The single-deck trains will be delivered in 2017 and will replace Z6400 EMUs dating from the 1970s.
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=529

dimlys1994, alexandru.mircea, 437.001 liked this post

Last edited by Minato ku; February 23rd, 2015 at 09:09 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:33 PM   #1792
Minato ku

Western extension
Extension to Nanterre - la Folie: 2020
Extension to Mantes-la-Jolie: 2022
-Initial work will begin in October and the first tunnel boring machine will be activated in 2017.
Drilling of the tunnel will last one and half years.
-A new rolling stock will be ordered for the RER E. Three candidates are running for the new stock: Alstom/Bombardier, CAF and Siemens.
-This line will have a new operating system called NExTEO, it will reduce the headway to 108 seconds between trains.
-For easing of operation and to reduce the consequences of an incident on the entire line, trains from the east will terminate at Nanterre-la-Folie and trains from Mantes will terminate at Rosa Parks. The station Rosa Parks will open in December 2015.

Scroll >>>

http://www.usinenouvelle.com/editori...-paris.N315236
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #1793
Sister Greed U

Still no news about that idea of an extension of RER E services to Meaux taking over Transilien P?
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #1794
Minato ku

In my opinion, it is better to keep this service to the Transilien P.
I think that in the future the RER C and D may lose some services in favor of more express services to the terminal stations.
Transilien R for Gare de Lyon and maybe a new Transilien network for Gare d'Austerlitz.
The RER C has already lost its branch to Argenteuil which was transferred to the Transilien J.

Meaux

Z 50000 are for the "local service" between Gare de l'Est and Meaux.
It serves every stations between Chelles and Meaux, stations located before Chelles are served by the RER E.

Z 20500 from Gare de l'Est heading towards Château-Thierry

B 82500 from Gare de l'Est heading towards La Ferté-Milon

Inside a Z 50000 leaving Meaux for Gare de l'Est
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #1795
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
In my opinion, it is better to keep this service to the Transilien P.

Z 50000 are for the "local service" between Gare de l'Est and Meaux.
It serves every stations between Chelles and Meaux, stations located before Chelles are served by the RER E.
These are not so much "local". I mean, from Gare de l'Est they call only at Chelles-Gournay, Vaires-Torcy, Lagny-Thorigny, and Esbly before reaching Meaux.

Btw, how many kilometres are there between Gare de l'Est and Château-Thierry? And between Gare de l'Est and Meaux?

Quote:
Z 20500 from Gare de l'Est heading towards Château-Thierry
I used this rolling stock on a service to Meaux, they ressemble a lot Renfe class 450 EMUs. Class Z 20500 must be the original ones.

I also used a BB67X00+RIB on a La Ferté Milon-Gare de l'Est service.

Quote:
B 82500 from Gare de l'Est heading towards La Ferté-Milon
I used this between Meaux and La Ferté Milon.

Minato ku liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #1796
Minato ku

By local, I meant, the service between Gare de l'Est and Meaux with the highest number of stops.
Meaux is at 44 km of Gare de l'Est
Château-Thierry is at 94 km of Gare de l'Est

Z 20500 has been produced between 1988 and 1998, it is in service in the RER C, RER D, Transilien P and R.

Versailles-Chantiers
Renovation and construction of a new hall.

Old February 26th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #1797
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Why are the platforms so low at some stations?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #1798
Minato ku

Well, Paris suburban railway network is mix of several networks with several height of platform.
Some are hight, others are low, there are been some heightening works in many station but there are still a lot of stations with low platforms.
I don't know if they will increase the height of the platforms at Versailles Chantier. I hope they will do.

Chaville-Rive-Gauche
I took these pictures in September, it was the end of the heightening work for the patform of this station

Svartmetall, 437.001 liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #1799
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

If you are going from A to B and you can either take the Metro or RER, do you pay more for the RER?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #1800
Sacré Coeur

Likes (Received): 534

No, if you stay inside the city of Paris boundaries, the fare is the same. But if you travel in the suburbs, the RER fare will be more expensive. For instance, if you go to La Defense, you can either take the line 1 or RER A but RER will be more expensive.

Emile Zola

«Plonger une ville dans le formol en arguant de la sauvegarde de son patrimoine culturel et architectural est aussi bien un mensonge qu’une hérésie. Mensonge car les acteurs de l’industrie immobilière savent mieux que quiconque réhabiliter et valoriser le patrimoine architectural d’une ville en l’inscrivant dans son temps présent. Hérésie, car à cultiver une vision passéiste d’une ville, on est assuré de l’étouffer et de la voir dépérir.»

Gaël Thomas
Sacré Coeur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris, paris transport, rer