daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #141
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Merging tapers are a blessing. They don't need much space, and are better than restricting the interchange-ramp to 1 lane or having the right-lane to end after a merge. Because in the latter a lot of traffic will be driving already at the left-lane of the onramp, thus restricting capacity heavily. When properly trained, merging tapers are no problem at all. If you can collect your driving license by just driving one block in a town far away of any freeway like in many countries abroad, yes you can face a problem. Better not drive at rush-hour in NL, if you can't handle loads of merging traffic and jams.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #142
piotr71

"When properly trained"
It's a key phrase. There is no problem at all with tapers, as long as drivers using them know what's going on, or at least have watched Chris's instructing video. Otherwise, and I am afraid it happens quite often, driving behind someone who cannot speed up when required or swimmingly stick to the traffic, might turn into a serious danger.

And believe me or not, I am witnessing that kind of improper using merging tapers by poorly trained drivers, roughly, every day I got there.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #143
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

In the UK there is also a system known as 'tiger tails' which is used. It's very similar to merging tapers but lanes are divided by chevroned areas which do look like tiger tails, hence the term. They make the division of laves look more obvious, so to prevent people switching lanes on a slip road at the last minute as they approch the mainline. They also prevent swooping onto slip-roads from the main line as well.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #144
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Merging tapers are a blessing. They don't need much space, and are better than restricting the interchange-ramp to 1 lane or having the right-lane to end after a merge. Because in the latter a lot of traffic will be driving already at the left-lane of the onramp, thus restricting capacity heavily. When properly trained, merging tapers are no problem at all. If you can collect your driving license by just driving one block in a town far away of any freeway like in many countries abroad, yes you can face a problem. Better not drive at rush-hour in NL, if you can't handle loads of merging traffic and jams.
Being a sparsely populated country, merging tapers are obviously not very common in Sweden. Where they to exist, it looks like this.

What I find hard to understand with ours is the recommended speed limit in the left lane on the on-ramp. It seems to me that drivers in that lane should try to reach the same speed as the road they are merging onto, at least if you want the merging taper to work properly and increase capacity. Am I wrong?

Recommended speed limit 50 km/h in the left lane, speed limit on the main road is 90 km/h.

Notice the raised rib line that provides a sensory impuls to the driver as a last warning.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote