daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #221
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Well, I don't think you can say that until you've visited here. It is actually a very, very good system, don't get me wrong. I just think it needs to be better maintained and upgraded more than it is. It is still one of the best public transport systems that I have been on in this population size.
I was actually talking about the city. Sweden is so overrated, but that's going OT.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #222
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I was actually talking about the city. Sweden is so overrated, but that's going OT.
Have you been here? I think that's a brave statement to make if you haven't. Stockholm is beautiful and has a great standard of living overall. I know you don't like Sweden due to its feminist politics but to say it's overrated due to that is a bit off if you ask me.

If you want to discuss this, go to the Swedish forum. I frequently debate with the Swedes there.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #223
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Sweden was the first foreign country I visited. My dad's friend(who isn't American nor Swedish btw) lives there. Maybe because of all the hype that's been built up about Sweden or something.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #224
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Exactly, I have a lot left to explore. I mean, look at those stations, they're pretty amazing. Simple, clean and functional, but still arty enough to be interesting.
Concerning the C-trains. Yes, they are excellent. They have the same platform with Oslos trains and Viennas. I didn´t understand why they invented that strange trains for Warsaw. Sorry to say this, but compare the quality of chosen material and the heigth for passengers inside the car, there are to different levels. It´s not only the price, it´s the whole concept.

Munichs S-Bahnstations and those of Hamburg, Frankfurt, Stuttgart all have no aluminium-panels since years anymore! After the fire-hazard in Düsseldorf-airport in 1996, DBAG put those panels down, who are similar constructed to the airport ones. I hope they will do some new ceilings in the future.

The Sendlinger Tor-station renewal and also that of the concourse-level of Marienplatz is necessary. Here I have to admit, that the classic orange-blue tiling from the 70s (which I always liked) will be redone with white and red ones, Sendlinger Tor will also get other colours. This is sad, because it´s a typical colour and white tiling at places where you can put your feets on is not very clever. Stachus and Hauptbahnhof is well done. It´s better than before. Same to say for Münchener Freiheit-station.

I visited Stockholm in 2007. Yes, some underground-stations look a little gloomy due to their huge space and you don´t know if it´s water or ... in some places. It was part of the concept that platform-edge, stair-access is lightened ten times more than the ceiling. First stations like Odenplan and Hötorget are nice and functiional like Munichs from the 70s.

Don´t forget about the trains. The C-trains are new and will substitue the A-trains from the 70s. Stockholm still has the newer fleet at the moment.

Svartmetall, you should check out Vienna anyway. As both cities are compact in their city limits (and that is the area metro serves) an official of Viennas Metro once told me, that they would kill them if an U-Bahn would run every 10 minutes during normal day-time. Vienna probably has the best modal-split for metros in all german speaking cities.

Kind regards

Svartmetall liked this post
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #225
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Ridership also show clearly the suburban dominance of Munich.

S-Bahn
Vienna: 100 Million per year
Munich: 290 Million per year

U-Bahn
Vienna: 570 Million per year
Munich: 390 Million per year
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #226
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8812

Well, is that "suburban" or more defined separate urban areas that have become dependent upon the core city? The commuter belt of London also sees this kind of effect too with small towns centred on the commuter link (railway) to London. In fact, many of the communities (much like in Japan) seem to have a railway station at their core. Not all of course, but many of them. In other countries they'd probably be called separate communities (due to the self-contained nature surrounded by green belt) rather than simply suburban areas.

Plus, the Vienna S-bahn is quite different. Unlike in Munich, it doesn't appear to have the city-centre connections that are so handy to the Munich S-bahn, thus many will transfer to the U-bahn. The Munich S-bahn appears to me at least to be useful for inner city travel. The Vienna one, much less so (though the ring line looks kinda cool).
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #227
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

I think all over Europe this kind of suburban places always show some kind of very strong identity since they were populated places with a history of 1000 years or even more. This is very different from the US/Canada/Australia where the suburbs are only because of the main city.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 12:39 AM   #228
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 759

As said before my camera was ill when I took these.

6613 Odeonplatz Munchen 9 October 2014

6313 Munchen 9 October 2014

Interior of 7304 Munchen 9 October 2014

7328 Moosach Munchen 9 October 2014

More here:
http://smu.gs/10g4dDO

Svartmetall, geometarkv liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #229
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 759

2215 Moosach 9 October 2014

2113 Leonrodplatz 9 October 2014

2124 Romanplatz 9 October 2014

2005 Munchen Hbf 9 October 2014

2807 Munchen Hbf 9 October 2014

More here:
http://smu.gs/10rW7bj
Old December 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #230
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Anyone know when the C2 trains will enter service? The winter service change began 14 December, with additional services on the U3/U6 but I have yet to see one.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #231
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Are there any news about the project to extend line 5 till Pasing?
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:50 PM   #232
sk9

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
Yes, there are.
At first, Pasing Station will be built underground. This has been one of the major points of discussion in the city government, as one of the first ideas was to use tracks 1 and 2 of the existing mainline station for an overground subway terminus. However, the freshly renovated railway station would be at its capacity limits then, which leads to problems when the second S-Bahn trunk route is built. The underground station will be on a deep level so the river Würm can be easily crossed in case of a further extension of U5 to Freiham.
There is also news in terms of financing: The city of Munich announced that it would cancel the 113m € commitment for the second trunk route if the Governmet of Bavaria does not secure financing of the project until summer 2015. This 113m€ would be spent on other projects, one of those projects could be the U5 extension.
The other news in terms of financing is no good news. In Germany, before any public project gets approved, there has to be a "Kosten-Nutzen-Analyse", a study whether the benefit of the project is more than or equal with the cost. If the U5 is extended to Pasing, the Kosten-Nutzen-Analyse for the second S-Bahn trunk route could bring a negative result, so the government probably won't approve the project anymore. In my opinion, there is still the need for the second trunk route as the first has major disruptions at least once a week (Stammstreckenstörung - trunk route disruption - is the munich peoples' most hated word) and the U5 is already quite full in the city centre...
But: The U5 extension comes closer...

Quote:
Anyone know when the C2 trains will enter service? The winter service change began 14 December, with additional services on the U3/U6 but I have yet to see one.
Well, there are still some problems with the C2 trains, they are still not approved by the Government of Upper Bavaria. I hope they are on rails for the Oktoberfest season.

dimlys1994 liked this post
sk9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 04:10 PM   #233
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
Besides already mentioned U5-extension, metro-extension from Großhadern to Martinsried seems to take shape as financing is approved. It´s a 1.6 km extension into a neighbouiring community of Munich which has a high-tech industrial area to be served.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 01:37 AM   #234
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk9 View Post
Well, there are still some problems with the C2 trains, they are still not approved by the Government of Upper Bavaria. I hope they are on rails for the Oktoberfest season.
That is quite the delay...Seems to be the norm these days.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #235
CosmoFuture

Likes (Received): 438

Tram Extension to Steinhausen

New Tram from Max-Weber-Platz (U4/ U5) to Berg am Laim (S-Bahn); planned opening Dec 2015

http://www.mvg-mobil.de/projekte/steinhausen/index.html

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
CosmoFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #236
CosmoFuture

Likes (Received): 438

New Bike-Sharing - MVG Rad

MVG plans to launch a bike sharing System with 125 stations and 1,200 bicycles all over Munich. MVG Rad will start in Summer 2015

http://www.mvg-mobil.de/projekte/mvg-rad/index.html
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #237
Lodiz

Likes (Received): 38

I wanna share with you my best shot of Munich underground.Fröttmaning by Matt_Lodi, on Marienplatz by Matt_Lodi, on Flickr

Scrapernab2, Svartmetall, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Lodiz; February 14th, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
Lodiz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #238
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...tml?channel=00

Second Munich S-Bahn tunnel moves a step closer
Thursday, June 11, 2015

PLANS for a second east-west S-Bahn tunnel beneath Munich city centre received a significant boost on June 9, when Germany's Federal Railway Authority (EBA) approved a construction permit for the western section of the route under Munich Main Station

The 14km link from Laim in the west to Leuchtenbergring in the east will parallel the existing line, which carries up to 60 trains an hour and has reached its capacity limit, with a 7km twin-bore tunnel between Donnersbergerbrücke and East Station. The project will include the construction of three new underground stations at Munich Main Station, Marienhof, and Munich East, and becuase of the existing S-Bahn and U-Bahn tunnels these stations will be constructed at a depth of around 40m

Old July 15th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #239
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

Munich’s U5 extension takes key step forward
Wednesday, July 15, 2015

PLANS to extend Munich U-Bahn Line 5 by 3.77km from the existing terminus at Laimer Platz to Pasing have cleared a further hurdle after the city council's building committee instructed the building department to put prepare planning approval for the project

The building department will now develop detailed plans of the route. Once completed, the building department will present the plan to the city council, which will vote to grant final approval.

The project is estimated to cost €500m, and includes an option for a further extension to Freiham. If the city council gives the green light to proceed, construction is expected to start in 2019

Old July 20th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #240
R-Link
Very slow user

Likes (Received): 304

There are quite good trains in Munich. They are look quite wide and, maybe, fast. But in my opinion Berlin's trains are little better ( at least for beaty).
P.S. Undegroud trains in Munich look better then in Hamburg (but Hamburg is bigger)
R-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
munich