daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #241
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

Interesting and various configurations on the way!

Quote:
München orders more Avenio trams

München utility body SWM has selected Siemens as preferred bidder to supply 22 low-floor trams. The €70m contract is to be signed following a 10-day standstill period.

Starting in mid-2017, Siemens is to deliver nine two-section, nine three-section and four four-section Avenio trams. Operator MVG envisages that on weekdays a two- and three-section tram will run coupled together to increase capacity on routes 20 and 21. The 48 m long coupled pairs would be the longest in service in München to date.

This would free up the existing eight Avenios ordered in 2012, Stadler Variobahn and Type R3.3 trams, which would operate services on routes 16 and 17 together with the new four-section Avenios. The 13 smaller Type R2.2 trams would then be taken out of service and be used for spare parts for the remaining 55 Type R2.2 vehicles.

The order also includes three tranches of options for up to 124 additional two- to five-section cars. These can be called off in 2018-28 and are worth up to €300m.
Source: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...nio-trams.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
metr0p0litain no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #242
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

I know it's been said before, but the people of Munich should be grateful for the mass transit system they have, even if it's not perfect. It is quite f*cking impressive given the size of the urban area. Many cities, especially those in North America would kill to have system like Munich. Look at numbers for example. The urban area I live in is slightly bigger than Munich's(2.7 million for Baltimore vs 2.6 million in Munich), but the regional public transit agency only carriers over 390,000 people while Munich's carries over 2.3 million per day using the latest figures. Not to mention that Munich's system still sees expansions and other plans for improvements while mine's are just pipe dreams.

Urbanus liked this post

Last edited by LtBk; September 30th, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:01 PM   #243
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Link View Post
There are quite good trains in Munich. They are look quite wide and, maybe, fast. But in my opinion Berlin's trains are little better ( at least for beaty).
P.S. Undegroud trains in Munich look better then in Hamburg (but Hamburg is bigger)
All main german cities have very good public transport but in my opinion Munich has the best one.
The Munich U+S-bahn network is very well developed for a medium-size city. It covers the whole area of the city (in Hamburg and, specially, in Berlin there are no covered areas).
Trains and stations in Munich look more modern that in other cities. For example, in Munich, unlike Berlin and Hamburg, all U-bahn stations, and almost all S-bahn stations are adapted for disabled people. Also Munich trams and bus are modern and comfortable.
Definitely I love Munich public transport!

Urbanus liked this post
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:25 PM   #244
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8795

You're not alone. It's my favourite European city for transportation.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 04:48 PM   #245
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
All main german cities have very good public transport but in my opinion Munich has the best one.
The Munich U+S-bahn network is very well developed for a medium-size city. It covers the whole area of the city (in Hamburg and, specially, in Berlin there are no covered areas).
Trains and stations in Munich look more modern that in other cities. For example, in Munich, unlike Berlin and Hamburg, all U-bahn stations, and almost all S-bahn stations are adapted for disabled people. Also Munich trams and bus are modern and comfortable.
Definitely I love Munich public transport!
Munich U-Bahn trains are the best they are the widest I have ever seen and very beautiful and comfortable, meanwhile in Hamburg or Berlin trains are very narrow and uncomfortable.

But Munich tram system is very small compared to the city size and trams are narrow only 2.30 in width.

For example Karlsruhe is the best tram city in Germany I think. Trams are wide 2.65mm and a huge Stadtbahn system.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:20 AM   #246
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I know it's been said before, but the people of Munich should be grateful for the mass transit system they have, even if it's not perfect. It is quite f*cking impressive given the size of the urban area. Many cities, especially those in North America would kill to have system like Munich. Look at numbers for example. The urban area I live in is slightly bigger than Munich's(2.7 million for Baltimore vs 2.6 million in Munich), but the regional public transit agency only carriers over 390,000 people while Munich's carries over 2.3 million per day using the latest figures. Not to mention that Munich's system still sees expansions and other plans for improvements while mine's are just pipe dreams.
Expectations rise with investments. München has probably invested in its PT network many times over of what Baltimore has done of recent decades. Therefore one can expect a whole lot more from München in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
That's not quite true. When ever I look for hotel rooms in München I always catch myself actively avoiding areas which aren't served by metro. The S-Bahn of München is still a work in progress. The branches off the trunk route in the centre are still not served frequently enough to provide the same level of service which the metro does.
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:14 AM   #247
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

Munich Underground in the autumn on elevated tracks:

brick84, geometarkv, dimlys1994 liked this post
metr0p0litain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:53 PM   #248
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

I happened to be in Munich on the 06/12/15 when the MVG Museum had an open day. The pics aren't great quality but I hope you enjoy them.

Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:56 PM   #249
Fatfield

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, DanielFA liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:58 PM   #250
Fatfield

Old February 1st, 2016, 02:23 PM   #251
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Chaos in Munich

The comuter railways of Munich partially closed in the morning rush hour due to a catenary damage at the Rosenheimer Platz. Accordingly, there had been smoke at the station so the fire alarm went off.

Munich central station today
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 04:25 PM   #252
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26126

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...ring-plan.html

Bayern announces München S-Bahn tendering plan
03 Feb 2016

GERMANY: Bayern railway authority BEG set out details of a three-phase plan to tender the operation of München S-Bahn services on February 3.

The strategy is designed to reflect the need to manage major investment projects over the next decade, as well as the scale and complexity of the 434 km network, which carries 840 000 passengers/day and combines a core route with a peak service of 30 trains/direction/h with single-track branches and tracks shared by other operators.

BEG has decided that when DB Regio’s current operating contract ends in December 2017 it will be replaced with a two-year transitional agreement, which is seen as the only option because the existing fleet of around 250 EMUs belongs to the incumbent

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Tushkan, mrsmartman, DanielFA liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #253
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...-test-run.html

München airport peoplemover completes test run
25 Feb 2016

GERMANY: A test run of an automated peoplemover between München airport Terminal 2 and a future satellite facility was carried out on February 23.

Bombardier has supplied 12 Innovia 300 vehicles under an €89m contract awarded in November 2011. The scope also includes supply of Cityflo 650 automatic train control, telecoms, power supplies, platform screen doors and CCTV, as well as nine years of operation and maintenance. Each car has capacity for 90 passengers

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old February 25th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #254
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Munich is already a fantastic little airport, but this improvement really helps. Good stuff! Would be nice to try it when I next fly through!
Old February 26th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #255
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Munich is already a fantastic little airport, but this improvement really helps. Good stuff! Would be nice to try it when I next fly through!
It's not that little is it? 40 million pax last year. From my personal experience one of the best (in Europe at least) too.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #256
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...extension.html

Work starts on München tram extension
26 Feb 2016

GERMANY: A groundbreaking ceremony on February 26 marked the start of work on the Steinhausen extension of München’s tram network. Lord Mayor Dieter Reiter, MVG General Manager Herbert König and Managing Director of publishing business Süddeutsche Verlag Stefan Hilscher officially launched the work at the site of the future turning loop near the Süddeutsche Verlag office.

The 2·7 km extension would link Max-Weber-Platz U-Bahn station with Berg am Laim S-Bahn station, forming the eastern end of tram route 25. Between Max-Weber-Platz and Vogelweideplatz, 1·4 km of track existing track along Einsteinstraße, currently used as access to MVG's main tram depot, would be put into revenue service. In addition, 1·3 km of new track will be built between Vogelweideplatz and Hultschiner Straße

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

CB31, DanielFA liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2016, 06:42 PM   #257
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...augurated.html

München Airport peoplemover inaugurated
22 Apr 2016

GERMANY: The automated peoplemover between München airport Terminal 2 and a new section of the terminal was officially inaugurated on April 22, ahead of its entry into regular service on April 26.

Bombardier Transportation has supplied 12 Innovia 300 vehicles, Cityflo 650 automatic train control, telecoms, power supplies, platform screen doors and CCTV. The €89m contract awarded in November 2011 also includes nine years of operation and maintenance

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

FabriFlorence liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:05 PM   #258
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Munich is already a fantastic little airport,
Sarcasm? Irony? MUC ist number 7 in Europe (31 worldwide) by PAX - 41,000,000 in 2015.
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:29 PM   #259
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
Sarcasm? Irony? MUC ist number 7 in Europe (31 worldwide) by PAX - 41,000,000 in 2015.
No harm was intended at the comment at all, sorry if it seemed that way. Munich seems to have grown massively in fact as an airport and I'm quite shocked at how many passengers it handles now. It doesn't feel as large as other airports though, it still feels cosy enough! Some airports, like Heathrow, just feel like rabbit warrens and are rather impersonal by contrast.
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #260
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...-approved.html

Second München S-Bahn tunnel approved
27 Apr 2016

GERMANY: The Federal Railway Authority has granted approval for the second S-Bahn tunnel in München to be built. The approval of the eastern section follows earlier approval of the remaining two sections.

The project is expected to cost around €3bn and is not yet financed. Opening could take place in 2025

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Tags
munich