daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Minato ku

Shopping times in Paris, part 1

Nothing is more romantic than do shopping in the city of light.
Its little shops, little streets, commercial centers, crowded big boulevards...

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Minato ku

EDIT

Last edited by Minato ku; November 15th, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #3
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Pretty diverse places you've compiled here. I can recognize Châtelet, Saint-Lazare and Opéra, La Défense, the 13th arrondissement (Chinatown and place d'Italie), even rue de Rennes and Montparnasse. Have you taken this shots in one day or are they a collection of several walks you've made during a longer period? Do you often walk to take pictures?
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

It's become quite clear to me that Minato's purpose in most of these Paris threads is not to show the actual subject advertised, but to go out of his/her way to show as many non-white people as possible. To wit: I clicked on this thread thinking I would see a bunch of fancy stores on the Champs-Elysee, some shopping centers, and similar things. But what do I find instead? The usual collection of street scenes jam-packed with non-whites who are clearly the center of the photographer's attention, with mere lip service paid to the thread's purported topic. If you want to be honest, Minato, you should be calling these threads, "Non-whites in Paris #8," "Non-whites in Paris #9," and so on. Anything else is just a deception, because your real intent in choosing to photograph what you choose to photograph is transparent: In this case, you do not actually care to show us the shopping scene in Paris. Rather, your sole intention is to, once again, do nothing but show us as many non-white people as you possibly can cram into a Paris photo thread.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #5
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8796

Far be it for me to argue, but Minato does demonstrate the less glamourous side to Parisian shopping and the more quirky nature of Paris. I quite like it as it is as far away from the manicured look of Paris as one could imagine.

True, though his photographs aren't necessarily to my taste, it is nice to see a different facet to a city you think you have seen before time and time again. Having visited Paris myself, I tended to blank out and ignore areas such as those he's showing us now simply becasue I disregarded them as being "ordinary". Perhaps it is one thing that other photographers should start to showcase too - the less "perfect" and less "postcard" images of their cities.

Thanks for showing a different side to Paris Minato.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #6
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

^
It's not that Minato is merely showing the "less glamorous" side of Parisian shopping, it's that he/she clearly has no intention of showing us the shopping scene in Paris at all! Calling this a "shopping" thread is merely a ruse to show as many non-whites as he/she possibly can. If anyone doesn't see this, they aren't very observant.

For example, in these pictures here you cannot see a single store. A few people here and there happen to be holding a shopping bag or two, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's blatantly obvious these pictures have nothing to do with "shopping" whatsoever. Their only intention is to say, "Look! We've got lots of non-whites here!" Nothing more. If Minato at least had the honesty to name these threads, "Multiculturalism in Paris," or some such thing, at least they would be honest. But that's not what he/she is doing.

No stores. But a Muslim with a head scarf.

No stores. But a South Asian-looking woman.

No stores. But at least two black guys, and a couple East Asian women.

No stores. But a black guy on the right.

No stores. But a black guy, and an Asian guy, and two possible Middle Eastern-looking teenagers.

No stores. But several non-whites.

In this one, you can barely see some stores on the right. But there just happens to be a black guy about to go up the escalator. My, what a coincidence! And a picture of an ordinary escalator and some stairs is so remarkably interesting, surely it was picture-worthy even without the black guy!

And several others, in addition to those.

And this is entitled "Shopping times in Paris?" Give me a break. Minato has no intention of showing us "shopping" in Paris. It's more like, "Multiculturalism in Paris, Volume XVII"

Last edited by Bond James Bond; November 14th, 2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #7
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Yes Bond James Bond, it is true, I actually see the same observation. Is there any pic that Minato ku took that shows all just white faces? I do find this very odd indeed. It seems like he/she waits until a non-white face appears to take a photograph. Misleading tittle, but nice photos anyway.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8796

Well, I'd say that the tenuous link to shopping is due to the fact that many of those pictured seem to be holding shopping bags, either that or the fact that people are going shopping. Either way there is some relation to the title.

Either way, they're not bad pictures!
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Well, I'd say that the tenuous link to shopping is due to the fact that many of those pictured seem to be holding shopping bags, either that or the fact that people are going shopping. Either way there is some relation to the title.
What about this one? There's not a single shopping bag in the picture. There is not a single store shown in the picture. It is not even apparent that people are going to or from their shopping trips. For all we know they could just be going home from work, or are at work going to lunch, or some other reason. This picture has absolutely nothing to do with "shopping" whatsoever. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. The only reason why Minato took this picture is because it gave him/her yet another opportunity to show another non-white. That much is obvious.

Quote:
Either way, they're not bad pictures!
I agree they're nice pictures, but they're falsely advertised. This seems to be the case with most of Minato's Paris picture threads. The city itself seems almost incidental. The only thing he/she really seems to care about is to showcase how many non-whites are there. If Minato would just say so, at least he/she would be honest. But that's not what's happening.
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #10
atariboy15
el mexicano blanco

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
^
It's not that Minato is merely showing the "less glamorous" side of Parisian shopping, it's that he/she clearly has no intention of showing us the shopping scene in Paris at all! Calling this a "shopping" thread is merely a ruse to show as many non-whites as he/she possibly can. If anyone doesn't see this, they aren't very observant.

For example, in these pictures here you cannot see a single store. A few people here and there happen to be holding a shopping bag or two, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's blatantly obvious these pictures have nothing to do with "shopping" whatsoever. Their only intention is to say, "Look! We've got lots of non-whites here!" Nothing more. If Minato at least had the honesty to name these threads, "Multiculturalism in Paris," or some such thing, at least they would be honest. But that's not what he/she is doing.

No stores. But a Muslim with a head scarf.

No stores. But a South Asian-looking woman.

No stores. But at least two black guys, and a couple East Asian women.

No stores. But a black guy on the right.

No stores. But a black guy, and an Asian guy, and two possible Middle Eastern-looking teenagers.

No stores. But several non-whites.

In this one, you can barely see some stores on the right. But there just happens to be a black guy about to go up the escalator. My, what a coincidence! And a picture of an ordinary escalator and some stairs is so remarkably interesting, surely it was picture-worthy even without the black guy!

And several others, in addition to those.

And this is entitled "Shopping times in Paris?" Give me a break. Minato has no intention of showing us "shopping" in Paris. It's more like, "Multiculturalism in Paris, Volume XVII"
Its a shame you have decided to spoil this thread with a pathetic attempt to take issue with the poster of these great photos!

Three people with shopping bags, two happen to be muslim.

I agree, no signs of shopping, but many white faces nonetheless!

Once again, people walking with shopping bags, most likely from SHOPPING!

Four people in the foreground carrying shopping bags, probably shoppers!

AGAIN, same thing here!

At least EIGHT people with shopping bags, probably things they purchased.

A photo of what looks clearly to me, a shopping center of some sort! What a pathetic attempt you have made to pick a bone with the poster!
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #11
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

great photos, but stupid a** comments

Last edited by webeagle12; November 14th, 2007 at 08:28 AM.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #12
Good

Likes (Received): 595

Yes, stupid comment from Bond James Bond, it's virtually impossible to take pictures Paris shopping districts with only white faces, unless you focus only on very expensive areas, which obviously Minato hasn't. There are blacks, asians and arabs everywhere in Paris now, even on the Champs-Elysées! That's all. Deal with it.
Good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #13
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

nice street shots.
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #14
seattlehawk

Likes (Received): 4

I am not sure whether the poster really intended to show racial diversity, and it would be perfectly fine if he did, but I do agree that the title of the thread does not suite its contents. Showing photos of pawn shop, cash 'n carry, pharmacies and a bunch of people carrying plastic bags, that could simply contain their groceries, their lunch or whatever, does not depicts "shopping in Paris". I mean, I couldn't just take pics of my local grocery store, McDonalds and gas station and create a thread titled "shopping in Seattle".

Anyways, nice set of photos that needs a better title.
seattlehawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #15
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Uh. . . Whats wrong with showing non whites? Some people here are so edgy we all know Paris is diverse and there are other not so glamours parts and so what? It is part of Paris and its a reality. When I was looking at these photos I didnt even noticed about this racial issue until i read the stupid comments.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #16
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
Uh. . . Whats wrong with showing non whites? Some people here are so edgy we all know Paris is diverse and there are other not so glamours parts and so what? It is part of Paris and its a reality. When I was looking at these photos I didnt even noticed about this racial issue until i read the stupid comments.
There's nothing wrong with showing non-whites. If the thread was entitled, "Multicultural Paris," I would have no problem with it at all. The problem is, the thread purports to show "shopping times" in Paris, but it really has little to do with that at all. It's mostly just another "show the multiculturalism of Paris" picture thread which seems to be Minato's main interest.

A quick browse through Minato's other picture threads and you'll see what I mean:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=546682
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=540241
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=540576
At least in this next one he's reasonably honest and puts the term "global city" in the title:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=533883
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=534684
And at least this one shows *a little* more of the actual architecture, but it still seems secondary to the cars and people on the streets and sidewalks:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=498969
Even the same thing in his threads on Lyon:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=522700
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=528336
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=535262

I mean, really, it's so obvious. It's as if the city itself and the supposed purpose of the thread is incidental, and his/her real purpose is just to show how multicultural everything is. If he/she wants to show how multicultural everything is, that's fine - but just say so! Don't pretend you're showing pictures of "shopping in Paris" or "downtown Lyon" if all you really want to do is show "multicultural Paris" and "multicultural Lyon."

Last edited by Bond James Bond; November 14th, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #17
eklips

Likes (Received): 5050

I think Minato has the ethnic issue in mind and likes to show diversity in his photos (and is kind of obsessed), but to say that this thread is not about shopping at all is ridiculous.

Moreover have you ever been to these areas of Paris? The only way you could take photos of whites only is by doing it on purpose.
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #18
JP

Likes (Received): 14

I'm for now thinking that Seattle as an american city have a multicultural population. How you do to take pictures without a "non-white" people? Would you find relevant if someone told you about your pictures what you're intending to Minato Ku?
His thread shows Paris streets during "shopping time", not the shop or the way of shopping, it has never pretended it.
JP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #19
primal beauty
Aesthetics

Likes (Received): 131

he he he...James Bond is on a mission...he must be on some kind of acid trip...Paris is one of the most multicultural cities in the world so therefore it is not hard to spot people of all races, plus it is one of the most touristy cities in the world so it is most likely that in popular shopping ares you will find many asians...and this person that posted the photos is himself asian, so there is nothing wrong if he is delighted witha choice of asian stores, food, etc., and whants to show it on this site...good on him...wonderful photos of a beautiful city...and you James Bond, buddy...take a chill pill!!!
primal beauty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #20
fettekatz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

uh... what is this thread about? "Discussion of the ethnic composition of post-millenium Paris"

I don't think Minato ku waited for a non-europeans to show up nor purposely wanted to propagate multicuturalism. It's just unavoidable to stumble across non-white faces in Paris.

It's true that the title may be misleading if you expect only pictures of shops or people with bags. But if you do a very extended shopping spree through Paris you might see everything in those pics...
fettekatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote