daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #21
Minato ku

Of course I have a little ethnic issue even if I prefer show modern building or construction cranes, but All these photo have a rapport with the shopping times.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9495/cimg0970uo5.jpg
The people have a bag C&A.

It is less obvious here but these picture are taken in the entrance of one of busiest commercial center in France (and Europe) during the solde period.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2635/cimg0947wp8.jpg
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/2190/cimg0948nd3.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2219/cimg0939qr5.jpg
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/4346/cimg0944uj7.jpg

I see shopping bag and a
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6397/cimg0802xu6.jpg

Commercial center.
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/3936/cimg0130yp3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
Moreover have you ever been to these areas of Paris? The only way you could take photos of whites only is by doing it on purpose.
Eklips is right there is a high proportion of non white in the main shoppings district, why? because there is a high proportion of non white in Paris. (obvious but actually for many people it is more obvious in N.Y, Chicago or London than in Paris)

Here all face that I see are white
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5189/cimg0354ht4.jpg

It is very difficult to take crowd with only white people exept if I go in the Eiffel tower (And even there is a load of black here), or in the little street in Quartier Latin, in central bank of the Seine, Or in Saint Germain but these are tourist districts (you don't see Parisian but European and American tourist).
Of course these are the famous view of Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good
Yes, stupid comment from Bond James Bond, it's virtually impossible to take pictures Paris shopping districts with only white faces, unless you focus only on very expensive areas, which obviously Minato hasn't. There are blacks, asians and arabs everywhere in Paris now, even on the Champs-Elysées! That's all. Deal with it.
In Champs Elyses they have more chance to be french than the white

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettekatz View Post
I don't think Minato ku waited for a non-europeans to show up nor purposely wanted to propagate multicuturalism. It's just unavoidable to stumble across non-white faces in Paris.
That's right, I can't do it because Parisian do not like to be taken in photo.

Look at this photo and note that I taken the street, not this guy.

What's wrong with my Lyon pictures ?
I have you see the french national soccer team.

Last edited by Minato ku; November 14th, 2007 at 01:54 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #22
Karim69

Likes (Received): 0

Those pictures are not compatible with the way he imagines Paris.
C'est marrant de bouleverser des clichés.
Karim69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #23
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
Calling this a "shopping" thread is merely a ruse to show as many non-whites as he/she possibly can.
If that would really be Minato's purpose, then he would have shown pictures of the mall near Saint-Denis' basilica, the avenue Jean Jaurès in Aubervilliers, or the Marché Dejean in the Goutte d'Or district.

Minato Ku has taken his pictures in the major shopping areas in Paris: Opéra/Saint-Lazare district, La Défense, Châtelet, Montparnasse... These places have huge crowds where it's simply impossible to select the colour of the people you want to take in picture.

Last edited by Metropolitan; November 14th, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #24
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal beauty View Post
Paris is one of the most multicultural cities in the world so therefore it is not hard to spot people of all races, plus it is one of the most touristy cities in the world so it is most likely that in popular shopping ares you will find many asians...and this person that posted the photos is himself asian, !!!
Actually it is not true I am mixed (white/black) but it is true that I have an very east asian face.
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #25
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Actually it is not true I am mixed (white/black) but it is true that I have an very east asian face.
Do you have Malagasy roots?

Personally, my case is more boring, I only have German roots.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #26
Minato ku

I don't know my father have Swiss and Italian root and my mother have African root but she was adopted when she was 3 month.
My mother was born in Aubagne Marseille region and she only know that her mother was from Guadeloupe.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #27
fettekatz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
[...]

Personally, my case is more boring, I only have German roots.

hey... what's that supposed to mean?

maybe you are really a boring person, but you shouldn't base it on your origin
fettekatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #28
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atariboy15 View Post
A photo of what looks clearly to me, a shopping center of some sort! What a pathetic attempt you have made to pick a bone with the poster!
OK, I will quote atariboy here to make one last attempt to illustrate what I'm saying.

atariboy says this is a picture of a shopping center. No, it is not a picture of a shopping center, it's a picture of an escalator and some stairs! It might happen to be in a shopping center, but clearly the attempt is not to show us this shopping center. If Minato actually wanted to take a picture of this shopping center, he would have gone up the escalator and shown a picture of all the stores lining the atrium, or something like that. Since he did not do that, we have to ask what was the purpose in taking this picture. Was it to show us an escalator and some stairs? Please . . . Is there anything particularly noteworthy about this escalator and stairs? No. Does a picture of an escalator and stairs really have anything to do with "shopping in Paris?" No. OK then, what, exactly, was the purpose of this picture?

Well, it just so happens there's a black guy about to go up the escalator. When I look at many of the other pictures in this thread, as well as many of Minato's other pictures in his other threads, he's got a ton of pictures of incredibly mundane things which seem to have little to do with the thread's stated purpose . . . but which just happen to showcase the multiracial nature of the place he's in. If he wants to showcase the diversity of the place he's in, then . . . fine! Call the thread, "The many-colored faces of District X in Paris," or something like that. But don't call the thread "Shopping in Paris," when the real focus of the thread is on something else.

If I started a thread entitled "Shopping in Seattle," but only about half my pictures showed stores or anything reasonably depicting "Shopping in Seattle," would it be fair to say that this was a thread about "Shopping in Seattle?" No. Let's say the other half of the pictures happened to show Seattle's pigeons, and even many of the actual "shopping" photos showed Seattle's pigeons. Now, what would such a thread be about? Would it be about "Shopping in Seattle?" Or would it be about "Pigeons in Seattle?" Obviously it would really be about pigeons in Seattle, because I have gone out of my way to show as many pigeons as I possibly could, and the "shopping" pictures were almost incidental. Therefore, if I called the thread "Shopping in Seattle," that would be dishonest, because the thread is really about "Pigeons in Seattle." Now, there's nothing wrong with a thread about the pigeons in Seattle, but if that's what the thread is really about, that's what I should title it as.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #29
Minato ku

But it is Shopping times, it is a bit different than Shopping alone.

An other picture in this commercial center

Not different, we don't really see the shops but oh great fact everyone is white

Actually the only picture which don't really respect the subject is it.

A weird fact but everybody in this picture is white.

Last edited by Minato ku; November 15th, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #30
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

^
I'm not sure what you mean by shopping "times."

In fact, I can't see what that 2nd picture has to do with shopping either. How do you (or the viewer) know that those people were shopping? Don't get me wrong - it's a nice shot of some faces and a street and the museum in the background. But to me it doesn't depict "shopping."

Yes, you do have a few pics which only happen to show white people. But for every one of those you seem to have several pictures which seem to have little to do with the topic but which just happen to have a non-white person right in the middle of the picture.

Here's what I mean. This picture is about "shopping." There are obviously people who are obviously shopping at a street market.

Same with this. There are people in front of a music store.

And this. It's obviously a picture of a shopping center.

And this. The focus is on the stores and the overall scene. The people are just incidental.

This picture, on the other hand, isn't about "shopping." There are no obvious stores. I don't even see anyone with shopping bags. What, then, was the point? Oh - but there happens to be an Asian woman in the middle. Hmmm.

And then there's ones like this. I mean, superficially it's on a shopping street. But it's obvious that aspect isn't what you were trying to depict. The stores are buried in the background, even the person with the shopping cart isn't the subject of the photo. There is one thing - and only one thing - which seems to be the focus: The two black guys walking in front of the camera. I look at this picture and ask myself, "Is this a picture about shopping?" No, it isn't, it's a picture of two black guys.

^
A whole bunch of your pictures seem to be like that last one. The purported topic is buried in the background, and the focus seems to be on something else entirely. Now, once again, there's nothing wrong with picture threads on that topic, but if that's what you're really interested in, just say so!

I'm done here.

Last edited by Bond James Bond; November 15th, 2007 at 01:09 AM.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #31
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
^

And then there's ones like this. I mean, superficially it's on a shopping street. But it's obvious that aspect isn't what you were trying to depict. The stores are buried in the background, even the person with the shopping cart isn't the subject of the photo. There is one thing - and only one thing - which seems to be the focus: The two black guys walking in front of the camera. I look at this picture and ask myself, "Is this a picture about shopping?" No, it isn't, it's a picture of two black guys.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4048/cimg2916ea5.jpg
In the reality the focus was the man with the shopping cart who sell corn but my camera is very slow.

Quote:
This picture, on the other hand, isn't about "shopping." There are no obvious stores. I don't even see anyone with shopping bags. What, then, was the point? Oh - but there happens to be an Asian woman in the middle. Hmmm.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2118/cimg2828re5.jpg
You would say a french woman.
In fact this photo is in one of most famous shopping district of Paris and I have shown this picture because we see the beautiful Garnier Opera.
Of course if everyone was white here nobody would said something.

To be honest for photographing blacks I would go in the Goutte d'Or district.
Anyway I agree that my vision of shopping times is maybe very extended and that I also wanted to show the ethnical diversity of Paris.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #32
fettekatz
BANNED

I think Bond has a point, the title isn't adequate for the pics. But as I said earlier (if anyone cares ), if you do a shopping trip in that quarter, you might actually see everything what's on those pics...

So it's more like "Paris seen through the eyes of an unheeding shopper" than "Documentation of the shopping facilities in district XYZ "...

I still wonder why Bond is so persistent about the non-caucasian faces...
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #33
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
An other picture in this commercial center

This picture is in the second part.
Not different, we don't really see the shops but oh great fact everyone is white
No! There's a black girl pushing a baby buggy right behind the blond haired girl! And by the way, since when are they blond haired people in France? Aren't French supposed to all be brown-haired with a moustache and a beret?

Last edited by Metropolitan; November 15th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #34
eklips

Likes (Received): 5050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
No! There's a black girl pushing a baby buggy right behind the blond haired girl! And by the way, since when are they blond haired people in France? Aren't French supposed to all be brown-haired with a moustache and a beret?
Haven't you noticed that Minato is trying to show blond people here!

The thread should have been renamed "blondes in Paris". It's not about shopping at all!
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #35
fettekatz
BANNED

blond(e)s are essential to show ethnic diversity
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #36
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
Haven't you noticed that Minato is trying to show blond people here!

The thread should have been renamed "blondes in Paris". It's not about shopping at all!
It's funny looking the crowds to find specific people reminds me of "where is Charlie"? You know the cartoon where we have to find a guy with glasses and a red and white hat in the middle of a crowd.

Old November 15th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #37
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Ya, I think Minatu Ku is always determined to show us the non-cliché Paris but that still doesn't change the fact that racial diversity seems to be everywhere you go in Paris (except maybe West Paris). So although he may have waited for the "right" shot, he probably only had to wait seconds and not minutes, because Paris is very multicultural.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #38
atariboy15
el mexicano blanco

Likes (Received): 45

bond needs to give it a break, perhaps shopping "times" was referring to the months of January and July when its official "sale" time for stores? I only guess this because many stores have sale signs in the windows!
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #39
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

I actually like this game. Spot the non-white faces in these photos! We know they are in there.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #40
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by atariboy15 View Post
bond needs to give it a break, perhaps shopping "times" was referring to the months of January and July when its official "sale" time for stores? I only guess this because many stores have sale signs in the windows!
It is not wrong and your maybe the only who get my point, most of these picture was taken during the "soldes" or in september october just after the holiday and the shopping times are obvious during the "soldes" and the saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan
Oh my bad, I will be accused of minority focus.
It is very difficult to not have non white in Paris, the next I will do shopping in Marly-Gaumont (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fwA65kmEMg) and I am not sure to not see some black in my photos.

Last edited by Minato ku; November 15th, 2007 at 01:47 PM.