daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #41
eklips

Likes (Received): 5050

"Soldes" means sales by the way, in France during a few winter month we have huge sales everywhere.
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #42
Minato ku

I have transfered my second part here.

Old November 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #43
Karakuri
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettekatz View Post
hey... what's that supposed to mean?

maybe you are really a boring person, but you shouldn't base it on your origin
It's supposed to mean that in France, for so many French, it is not trendy to be French: you NEED to invent yourself roots from elsewhere by all possible means.
If you just say "i'm French", people stare at you like "what? Are you sure? Try to remember! Nobody coming from Italy or Morocco?". But if you say "my mother was born there, and my grandfather there", well people applause and praise you.
Sorry guys, I'm sooooo borring: 100% French....
Karakuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #44
eklips

Likes (Received): 5050

you can always take pride in your home region, brittany, corsica, alsace, occitania etc.

But anyways, there is nothing wrong with people not being ashamed of their ancestry. Each examples that I can think of where children or grand children of immigrants are ashamed of their roots is negative.

And additionnaly, the fact that many people like to identify themselves with ethnic groups, whatever it might be is a caracteristic of the lowering of (social) class consciousness.

Last edited by eklips; November 15th, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #45
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
It's supposed to mean that in France, for so many French, it is not trendy to be French: you NEED to invent yourself roots from elsewhere by all possible means.
If you just say "i'm French", people stare at you like "what? Are you sure? Try to remember! Nobody coming from Italy or Morocco?". But if you say "my mother was born there, and my grandfather there", well people applause and praise you.
Sorry guys, I'm sooooo borring: 100% French....
100% French means nothing to me. You have necessarily regional roots, or at least roots from a specific city.

I know that it's very trendy to use the expression "français de souche", but I like better the expression "français d'origine régionale".

EDIT: Ah... Eklips has been faster than me.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #46
Karakuri
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
you can always take pride in your home region, brittany, corsica, alsace, occitania etc.

But anyways, there is nothing wrong with people not being ashamed of their ancestry. Each examples that I can think of where children or grand children of immigrants are ashamed of their roots is negative.

And additionnaly, the fact that many people like to identify themselves with ethnic groups, whatever it might be is a caracteristic of the lowering of (social) class consciousness.
Yeah, always people's need to talk about and to show their "ethnic" background is the cancer of France. Why do people have to care this much?
It's not about region, it's about proving by all means that you have a double culture (well, if the grand mother of your cousin's husband's aunt comes from XXXcountry, I wonder where is the double culture but...).

Quote:
100% French means nothing to me. You have necessarily regional roots, or at least roots from a specific city.

I know that it's very trendy to use the expression "français de souche", but I like better the expression "français d'origine régionale".
Oh it doesn't? Even my family tree going way back to the 16th century (in Nantes) means nothing? Regional roots yeah, from a specific city yeah...but actually I care much more about where I was born and raised.
Anyway it is not about being 100 or 10%, it is about what you feel, and what you know, where you were raised, and which country made the person you are!

Anyway, Minato's pictures are nice, I like them.
Karakuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #47
Minato ku

Thanks you.
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #48
Yörch

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
There's nothing wrong with showing non-whites. If the thread was entitled, "Multicultural Paris," I would have no problem with it at all. The problem is, the thread purports to show "shopping times" in Paris, but it really has little to do with that at all. It's mostly just another "show the multiculturalism of Paris" picture thread which seems to be Minato's main interest.
Do we got to assume by your statements that only white people can do shopping in Paris and when a non-white person goes to a store that's not shopping but multiculturalism?

I see lots of pics of people with bags, store bags that means they are shopping. If I'd just wanted to see stores and magazins in Paris then the title should be: "Stores and boutiques of Paris"
Yörch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #49
kony

Likes (Received): 1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoryi View Post
Do we got to assume by your statements that only white people can do shopping in Paris and when a non-white person goes to a store that's not shopping but multiculturalism?

I see lots of pics of people with bags, store bags that means they are shopping. If I'd just wanted to see stores and magazins in Paris then the title should be: "Stores and boutiques of Paris"

i totally agree ! i think james Bond has some issues with colors (not to say races) since he insisted on almost every line about the "non-white" which would not appear on the pix as much as he (maybe) dreamed of...

At the end of the day i am much more shocked by james Bond "extremism" than by Minato Ku's pix which i don't find particulary out ot topic...

james Bond, you should help urself with a trip to Paris, and u will (maybe) see how ridiculous your comments were.

For me Minato's threads are not really problematic : when u do a photo thread on a particular subject, it's common thing that a few of your pix are not 100 % related to the title...especially when the thread is about more than 100 pix !!!!

and i take this opportunity to thank Minato, because it is not an easy job to put so many pix online and it takes time...

so instead of being over-picky about words people like james Bond should think of the energy put behing such a great photo collection ! no need to harass some1 which goal is just to share pix.

to end i would say the diversity of Paris is something which is so obvious that it would be difficult to hide it on such a thread scale.

Minatu shows his perspective of Paris and it is good not to always see the usual romantic-monuments-city-of-lights pix of Paris.

Those pix are fresh and diverse. they are PARIS in 2007 !!!!

the only ''good'' point of James Bond's comments is that a few posts back he collected all Minato Ku's thread (obviously in order to bring his negativity)...so it will help me to go and visit them

But Minato u don't even have to justify you that much ! and yeah Black is beautiful
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #50
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

*sigh*

Um people, you aren't paying attention to what I said. For the zillionth time, I was complaining that the thread wasn't really about shopping even though the title said it was, since there were sooo many photos which seemed to have little or nothing to do with shopping. Instead it seemed to be another thread to showcase Paris' multiculturalism. There's nothing wrong with a thread about a city's multiculturalism, but if that's the focus of your thread, you should say so in the title.

I would love to go to Paris someday.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote