daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #401
Boza KG
Дреница

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekP. View Post
Hi.
Have somebody photos of part of Belgrade - Bar line on BiH territoty /border crossing for instance/?
http://www.sis-nis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=212
Boza KG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:46 PM   #402
MaciekP.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza KG View Post

Thank you. It's very interesting.
Do you know, if BiH custom controler check the trains sometimes?
MaciekP. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #403
Co Co

Likes (Received): 493

balex1, Rail_Serbia liked this post
Co Co no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #404
dresdener78

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekP. View Post
Thank you. It's very interesting.
Do you know, if BiH custom controler check the trains sometimes?
Some sources write that there is no custom check at all, some sources write that sporadically there are customs and passport checkings.

Actually, on this short section through Bosnia, almost 21 years ago a terrible war crime was commited which is comparable to the things the nazis did in WW2. On 27 february 1993, the train no. 671 running from Belgrade to Bar was stopped by the paramilitary units of bosnian Serbs led by Milan Lukić. The armed bandits forced the railway staff at the station Štrpci to set the signal on red and stopped the mentioned train. Then they started to check the passenger documents. 19 passengers of non-serbian origin, however mostly serbian citizens (!) were taken away from the train and vanished without any trace. The mortal remains of two of those passengers were found some years ago in the river dam Peručac in Bosnia, the fate of the other victims is unknown.

Last edited by dresdener78; December 7th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
dresdener78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #405
Co Co

Likes (Received): 493

U-ž

Rail_Serbia liked this post
Co Co no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #406
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 668

Serbian NGO Railfan Association (Udruženje ljubitelja železnice) want to start a campaign for direct trains between Serbia and Bosnia.

This was the last train from Belgrade to Sarajevo at december 8th 2012.

Our campaign will be oriented on benefits for students and tourism.

For campaign we want to use internet, local radio and TV stations, but support from foreign countries could be very useful.

You can write me for any halp or advice:
MAIL: ljubitelji.zeleznice @ gmail.com
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:26 PM   #407
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...ic-floods.html

Railway seeks help following catastrophic floods
21 May 2014

BOSNIA: The Chief Executive of Željeznice Republike Srpske, Dragan Savanović, has appealed to the international rail industry for help with repairing the ‘enormous damage’ caused by ‘catastrophic and devastating’ flooding which hit the Balkans on May 15.

The floodwaters have swept away track and electrification, damaged maintenance machinery and flooded other facilities including offices.

‘Being a very small railway administration, but very significant to our country’s economy, we are not in position independently to fully restore the damage incurred’, said Savanović. ‘Therefore, we are hereby asking our colleagues and railway administrations across the world for solidarity and help, so we could re-establish rail transport as soon as possible, which is supporting our employees and their families. We need urgent help in materials, mechanisation and financial assets.’

As well as financial aid, ZRS is seeking wooden and concrete sleepers, UIC 60 and S49 rails, ballast, tools, computer equipment and office furniture. It needs on-track vehicles for catenary maintenance, embankment compaction and transporting staff, as well as road vehicles of 2 tonne capacity
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:36 PM   #408
trzykawki

Likes (Received): 252

What is the situation in Bosnian railways now? I am planning to travel from Sarajevo to Mostar at 6:51 am on 28.06 or 29.06, can I depend on this timetable?
trzykawki está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:14 PM   #409
Dusko_BG

Likes (Received): 531

You can relay on the trains the figure in the timetable.
For July 8th is announced a strike of ŽFBH workers
but when they strike usually passengers train are running.

General situation in Bosnian railways is bad, (just a few passenger train with a few passengers)
and so it will stay forever.
After awful floods in northern part of the county the border crossing Volinja-Dobrljin is the only functional.
The section Šamac-Modriča damaged in floods of Šamac-Doboj line won't even be rebuilt.

trzykawki liked this post

Last edited by Dusko_BG; June 22nd, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
Dusko_BG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:33 PM   #410
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko_BG View Post
The section Šamac-Modriča damaged in floods of Šamac-Doboj line won't even be rebuilt.
How sure are you about this? This would mean that if there would be plans for bringing the Sarajevo-Vinkovci-Beograd and the Sarajevo-Osijek-Budapest trains back into service it wouldn't be possible at all. Since these trains were cancelled in the end of 2012 the line lost its importance to through traffic for passengers. And what about freight traffic? Was the border crossing at Šamac still used by freight trains before the flooding?
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:51 PM   #411
dresdener78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
How sure are you about this? This would mean that if there would be plans for bringing the Sarajevo-Vinkovci-Beograd and the Sarajevo-Osijek-Budapest trains back into service it wouldn't be possible at all. Since these trains were cancelled in the end of 2012 the line lost its importance to through traffic for passengers. And what about freight traffic? Was the border crossing at Šamac still used by freight trains before the flooding?

In an interview for the newspaper Glas Srpske (http://www.***************/novosti/vi...at/154944.html), the minister of transport of the Republika Srpska (part of Bosnia and Herzegovina) Mr. Nedeljko Čubrilović told:

Dionicu entitetska granica - Šamac - Modriča, zbog obima nastalih oštećenja kao i zbog starosti i prethodne dotrajalosti svih njenih komponenti neće biti ni moguće obnoviti, tu će se ići na kompletan remont pruge.
Which means in English:
The part of the railway line "entity boundary - Šamac - Modriča", because of the volume of the devastation (caused by floods), and also because of its old and dilapidated state, cannot be quickly repaired; this part has to be completely rebuilt and reconstructed.

In other words: There will be no railway traffic on this line in next months, untill the international funds and banks will provide money for the complete reconstruction. But regarding the general economical, social and political situation in the entire Bosnia and Herzegovina, which is absolutely terrible, it is unfortunately possible that this railway line will be really NEVER rebuilt and reopened.

There were also some discussions and initiatives to renew the "international" passenger trains Banja Luka - Beograd and Sarajevo - Beograd, but their route should be different. They shall not run via Doboj to Šamac, Striživojna/Vrpolje and Vinkovci (so, through Croatia) to Belgrade anymore, but from Doboj to Tuzla, Zvornik, Loznica, Šabac to Belgrade. The railway line Tuzla-Zvornik was actually the most modern line in former Yugoslavia, enabling the speeds above 100 km/h, finished just few months before the war in Yugoslavia broke out. But there is the line Zvornik - Loznica - Šabac on serbian side in a very poor condition.

The aim is to avoid crossing croatian territory, because the Croatian railways ask for extremely high fees for using their infrastructure. That was the reason why actually all the international trains were cancelled in the end of 2012 (Sarajevo-Beograd, Sarajevo-Osijek-Budapest). And since then, also the railway traffic between Croatia and Serbia is terribly reduced.
dresdener78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:59 PM   #412
Dusko_BG

I'm sure 100 %. I'm Bosnian Serb and I have a few friends who work on ŽRS
so I get the fresh info every day. I heard that the Šamac station is closed and
the personal of the station will work in Brčko.
Before the floods there were one of two freight trains per day towards Croatia and
one regional train Doboj-Šamac-Doboj.
Now you can imagine that closure of the line is not big loss. Freight train can go
through Brčko and the regional train is cut to Modriča.
If something change I promise to inform here.

On the croatian side a few weeks ago the line Slavonski Šamac-Vrpolje
passenger trains were canceled and now instead of them HŽ put buses
because it's cheaper. The bad thing is that the line is declared international
corridor, modernized (speed 120 km/h) and now closed. Sad Balkan stories!

About trains Beograd-Sarajevo and Budapest-Sarajevo I think that they
belong to the past. Call me pessimist but I think that there is no any
future for rail passenger traffic in Bosnia. Country is poor, now affected by
awful floods, the both bosnian railway companies receive very small annual subsidy
(ŽFFB 11 millions of euros, ŽRS 12,5) which is ridiculous and not enough for
decent passenger service. Other big problem for bosnian railways is difficult
economic situation of croatian railways who had to reduce passenger service
in order save the money and try to reduce the losses.
Two years ago HŽ wanted to cancel even train 396/397 Sarajevo-Zagreb which
is the last international service in Bosnia but luckily Croatians changed their mind
so still is possible to go to Bosnia in this one still remaining international train .

dresdener78, Klausenburg liked this post
Old June 25th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #413
dresdener78

Zdravo Duško! Hvala Ti puno na pouzdanim informacijama.
Now in English: It is really sad and terrible I am sure that the international trains could be profitable if an acceptable travelling time would be offered. Look at the main connections in Bosnia, where the buses go paralelly along the railway. Mostar-Sarajevo, bus each 40-60 minutes with many companies, all of them are full, the ticket price is really high (about twice higher than for example in Czech republic) and the much cheaper train goes only twice a day..
The same situation is on the directions Zagreb-Banja Luka-Doboj. I am alway shocked ho much the bus tickets cost in BiH. I used to travel by the train Budapest-Sarajevo, it was terribly slow on bosnian territory, but you had much more space. In a bus you are pressed like a sardine in oil, and the missing highways in Bosnia make the travelling also really awful and slow (the bus Sarajevo-Vienna needs almost 5 hours to get to the boundary in Gradiška, and that only in the case there is no traffic jam or accident on the roads).

Unfortunately I completely agree with you that the railway traffic, especially the passenger traffic, has no future in BiH in the current conditions. The corrupted authorities slowly kill even the goods transportation in favour of their friends owning the trucks and lorries, the most factories are dead, and with 44 per cent of unemployed people and bankrupt budgets nobody can await some investitions into railways and inviting passengers into trains...

Hey, I always feel like Indiana Jones in BiH. When I am observing the railways. I simply see the poor remains of once very developed and efficient infrastructure.. it is really sad.
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #414
aleksandar_s
ETOPS-9000 certified

Likes (Received): 528

+1

Bosnia has so much potential. Corruption and mismanagement is making the people suffer. Same situation in Serbia as well.

jonasry liked this post
aleksandar_s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #415
K_

Likes (Received): 243

What's the status of the Talgo sets that were bought a while ago?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #416
Dusko_BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresdener78 View Post
Zdravo Duško! Hvala Ti puno na pouzdanim informacijama.
Pozdrav i tebi Nema na čemu! Any time

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
There are some attempts to rent talgo to turkish railways but until now
the is no any result!
Old June 26th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #417
Dusko_BG

One pic from this morning 26.6.2014. Novi Grad station.
Novi Grad has more freight trains these days than usual because of the closure
of other border crossings.
Here the trains wait to cross the croatian border.
They wait long because HŽ Cargo han not enough locomotives.

Last edited by Dusko_BG; June 26th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #418
atlantis.
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2191

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Parked around Sarajevo, together with the Koncar train.

Tragic.

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #419
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Please remind me why the Talgo sets are there and not in service someone.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #420
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis. View Post
Parked around Sarajevo, together with the Koncar train. Tragic.
What's their state? Leaving them sitting around can't be good.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bosnia and herzegovina, railways