daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM   #281
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pberg View Post
Hmm, is it just me or is there a difference in perception of districs inside the Ringbahn, as opposed to those lying outside of it? They've been touting Weißensee as the next big thing since I've lived here, especially as places like Prenzlauer Berg become more and more expensive. However, if you go there you see there's still a ways to go before it can compete. The problem for places like Weißensee and Lichtenberg is that it's much further out from the action and the quality of the housing stock in places like Lichtenberg (correct me if i'm wrong, but there's a lot of Plattenbau there?) leaves a lot to be desired.
Compared to a lot of the housing stock I've witnessed in central Auckland around Hobson st, I'd not talk down the Plattenbau at all! They're not that bad, they're just a little ugly at times. Personally I quite like the commieblocks there, at least they're not as bad as the British 50's and 60's flat blocks, those are disgusting!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #282
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

Thank god Brazilian highrise architecture sucks, so I also won't be negatively impressed with anything!

I just hope Karlshorst isn't you know, gray and depressing. For what I've seen on Google Earth there are loads of threes in the area at least.
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #283
UrbanMyth

Likes (Received): 193

Old November 26th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #284
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

outside? not my cup of tea.

but the inside.... now that's what I call a station. I hope to see something like this in Canada one day... but I can only hople. God bless us all.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #285
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacirema dream View Post
looks like a mall
looks like a crystal palace from the outside
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #286
AAPMBerlin

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacirema dream View Post
looks like a mall
it is a mall .... with a railway station.
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #287
serrot

Likes (Received): 0

Boring

Boring design, uninspiring and uninviting, twin towers and a hangar in the middle. No sense of movement...compare it to some of the stations that Calatrava has done and you will see what i mean.
serrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #288
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8803

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrot View Post
Boring design, uninspiring and uninviting, twin towers and a hangar in the middle. No sense of movement...compare it to some of the stations that Calatrava has done and you will see what i mean.
Bit harsh isn't it? I thought it was an excellent design if "safe".
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #289
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrot View Post
I guess we all see things differently as I don't agree at all. This structure is simply amazing when inside. Trains in all directions, above you, below you, everywhere. This certainly gives the feeling of movement.

Outside it is rather simple in design, but still attractive especially at night or on a dull day when the lights come through.

It's only downside is that the area surrounding it is boring and incomplete. But this is not really the fault of the station, it will take a few more years for this area to complete development.

That said, some things were not thought through very well. For instance, there is not enough platform space at the top level. People pile off intercity trains and then all bundle around the limited number of ticket machines for the local trains to continue their journey. And unlike most German stations which have luggage lockers scattered all over the place, this one only has a drop off point which when I needed to use it was completely full and a line outside lasting an hour. These faults could be rectified with a bit of planning and small changes, otherwise the structure itself is one of the greatest new stations in the world.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #290
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

The outside looks ok, but the inside looks awesome! I like it very much. When I was there it was great to visit!
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #291
AAPMBerlin

Likes (Received): 94

have a look on this pictures:

http://360cities.net/image/central-s...berlin-germany

http://360cities.net/image/inside-berlin-train-station

http://360cities.net/image/the-new-c...om-river-spree

Old December 15th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #292
serdar samanlı

It looks like German-speaking countries have excellent railroad networks
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:58 PM   #293
panowilly
Panoramic Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar samanlı View Post
It looks like German-speaking countries have excellent railroad networks
consider the following figures : Amtrak is moving 28 Mio Passengers a YEAR, German Railway 7 Mio a DAY
panowilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM   #294
panowilly
Panoramic Photographer

Lisbon - Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Boring and ugly. They decided to save some money and use simpler designs in order to finish it in time for the World Cup and it certainly shows. Calatrava's station in Lisbon is 10 times better.
Lisbon Oriente station is nice but has almost no traffic. Berlin is different but it is THE traffic HUB from train to train from S-Bahn to train and vice versa with thousands of trains and in some years also to the metro.
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:55 AM   #295
Get Smart
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

looks great but too crowded
Get Smart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM   #296
panowilly
Panoramic Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
looks great but too crowded
Imagine if all these people had a ton of scrap ( called automobile) around them that would be crowded and noisy and stinky and all were trapped nothing would go.....
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:54 PM   #297
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

When will they finish it? Or is the City Authority still bankrupt?

Still despite it not being "finished" - I love this station. It's truly sensational. Berliners and Germans should be proud. Berlin is a symbol and inspiration of so many things to humanity. And this is a gift to the new Europe. Forward thinking. Modern. Well connected. Dynamic. PEACE and FREEDOM!

Although... my favourite European station remains the refurbished London St. Pancras.

Here's too more creative rail architecture, both old and new, in the European rail network!!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:26 AM   #298
panowilly
Panoramic Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
When will they finish it? Or is the City Authority still bankrupt?

Still despite it not being "finished" - I love this station. It's truly sensational. Berliners and Germans should be proud. Berlin is a symbol and inspiration of so many things to humanity. And this is a gift to the new Europe. Forward thinking. Modern. Well connected. Dynamic. PEACE and FREEDOM!

Although... my favourite European station remains the refurbished London St. Pancras.

Here's too more creative rail architecture, both old and new, in the European rail network!!
Here you can see London St. Pancras 1 month before the re-opening. (interactive panorama in Quicktime. Tomorrow I will create a Flash version too ....)
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #299
serdar samanlı

I think this thread should be in "railways" section
Old January 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #300
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Berlin Hbf isn't the biggest railway station in Europe and it isn't the biggest in Germany. München Hbf is bigger for example.

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn