daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #301
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
Berlin Hbf isn't the biggest railway station in Europe and it isn't the biggest in Germany. München Hbf is bigger for example.
Yep, we established that it's the biggest kreuz (cross) station in Europe, not the largest overall.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #302
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

What do you mean by 'cross station'?

I'm not up-to-date on my train station lingo...
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #303
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
What do you mean by 'cross station'?

I'm not up-to-date on my train station lingo...
Station possessing both north-south and east-west platforms, hence a cross-shape.

I swear they just wanted to attach some "best" or "biggest" title to the station though as it's not really that common arrangement for large stations in Europe from what I've seen. Berlin has quite a few of this type though (Südkreuz, ostkreuz, westkreuz etc etc).
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #304
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Seems like a logical name now that you've explained it to me

Did you ever get to use the station Svart? It opened a few months after I left Berlin - I only ever saw it under construction.
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #305
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Nope. I left Britain on the 5th of January 2005 and haven't left NZ since I arrived on the 15th of Jan that year.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #306
JoFMO

Likes (Received): 0

Berlin Hbf is not yet well connected.

There is only an east-west S-Bahn line with trains every 3 minutes.

There is also in subway station at the station but it is not in use yet. A first section of it of 2km lenght will open later this year to the Brandenburg Gate. But it's traffic value is very limited until the connection to Line 5 in the east at Alexanderplatz is finished in some years.

The planned Tram is also far from finished although it only requires 2km of line from a nearby terminus.

There is also an north-south connection missing for local trains. The current north-south trains are only long distance and regional trains that dont offer good connection to the northern and southern suburbs. A commuter line is planned and some preparation work was already done with the new station, but the line will not be finished for the next 15 years.

The new Berlin central station was build build a little bit off the build up area and it will need two more decades to fully imcorporate it into the urban transportation network.
JoFMO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #307
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

The U55 when it links up to the U5 will provide pretty good connectivity to the rest of the network as that'll cross the U6 at a relocated Französische Straße station and the U2 and U8 at Alexanderplatz as well as S1, S2 and S25 at Unter Den Linden. Also the Stadtbahn connects to Friedrichstraße and Alexanderplatz currently anyway so I'd say it does have pretty good connectivity.

There were also plans to connect the U5 from the Hauptbahnhof to the U9 at Turmstraße and the U7 and Ringbahn at Jungfernheide. Until Berlin gets its finances sorted, however, this is a bit of pie in the sky.
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #308
farfaraway

Likes (Received): 0

Berlin Trams

I am interested, is there a plan to return trams in West Berlin like it was before 1967 when last tram in West Berlin stopped running?

Thank you
farfaraway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #309
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

As far as I know Berlin is the first city to have electric trams. I wish trams may return to West Berlin
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #310
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
I am interested, is there a plan to return trams in West Berlin like it was before 1967 when last tram in West Berlin stopped running?

Thank you
There is a tram line in the former West-Berlin along Seestraße, but for more tram lines Berlin hasn't got enough money.
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #311
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

There was an idea mooted about the construction of a tram line through Zehlendorf along one of the M bus corridors - I'll have to go searching for the article though (will add later).
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #312
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

is there no plan to expand the tram system from zinnowitzerstraße, down past invalidenpark to hauptbahnhof?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #313
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

There are plans enough. There's a plan for a line from Warschauer Straße to Hermannplatz, they even layed rails on the Oberbaumbrücke for that. And there's also a plan for a line to the Potsdamer Platz, for which they already layed rails in the Leipziger Straße.
But it seems that even those projects won't be finished soon.
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #314
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Yep, the transport-projects suck in Berlin lately. They build the shortest metro line in the world - shuttle U-Bahn for years now and it should be opened this late summer. It should have worked since few years... but they cant handle it...
the same looks with trams, some projects but there is nothing done since long time:///

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #315
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Does anybody know when trams left West Berlin? Maybe during the division of the city.
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #316
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
Trams are returning to the western parts of the city. However, these lines won't resemble the abolished network of the past. Underground lines have been constructed in the meantime. Tramlines will therefore serve as a feeder system rather than being the prime PT system.
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #317
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar samanlı View Post
Does anybody know when trams left West Berlin? Maybe during the division of the city.
Since the end of the 60ies I think.
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #318
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Yep, the transport-projects suck in Berlin lately. They build the shortest metro line in the world - shuttle U-Bahn for years now and it should be opened this late summer. It should have worked since few years... but they cant handle it...
the same looks with trams, some projects but there is nothing done since long time:///
It's all about money. Berlin is a poor city; in Germany there are cities, which have much more money. Cologne for example builds a new metro line for more than one billion € at the moment, but Berlin is not able, to complete the metro to the main station.
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #319
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
But consider what they already have - a PT system that is the envy of most cities of Berlin's size. One could argue that they don't have to improve much. I'd rather Berlin work on getting its debt down like they are trying to than spend out large on PT projects that aren't currently needed. The U55 has been problematic because of the exceptional groundwater problems they've been having which has delayed construction a lot.

Besides, from 2010 onwards the work to join the U55 to the U5 will be started otherwise Berlin will have to pay back the money the Federal Government gave them. Who knows, there are a lot of advanced plans to build further extensions to the U-bahn and S-bahn system so we might see them realised eventually when the city's finances improve.
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #320
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 528

Flexity Berlin trams are super beautiful I like them a lot. cool.
I hope Berlin gets more of this trams soon.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn