daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #361
Yetzirah231

Likes (Received): 389

Are they still working on... or planning to extend this line towards Alexanderplatz?

In April and May I was in Berlin, enjoyed it very much, incl. the subways...
Yetzirah231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #362
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

What took so much time and money to build such a short tunnel?

Was tunnelling performed with spoons, or is there a secret military bunker included?
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #363
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Read the article at the top of the thread if you haven't already.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #364
Schliemann

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta29 View Post
Here is some more information about the 2nd north-south-line...called S21

And here the S21 project is red...

Is the U21 not suppose to connect to the U55/U5 at the station called Reichstag on the pic?

And just out of interest is the "Ost-West-S-Bahn" from 1938/1965, no longer planned. I would have thougt it would provide a needed line into Treptow.

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by Schliemann; August 12th, 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Typed in wrong dates
Schliemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #365
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schliemann View Post
Is the U21 not suppose to connect to the U55/U5 at the station called Reichstag on the pic?
No, the Bundestag station of the U5 is located north west of the Reichstag on the west side of the Paul-L÷be building.
The proposed station on the S21 would be built on the east side of the Reichstag. If it's going to be built at all. There are suggestions to save some money by discarding this station.

Quote:
And just out of interest is the "Ost-West-S-Bahn" from 1938/1965, no longer planned. I would have thougt it would provide a needed line into Treptow.
There are no such proposals any more. The S21 is the only intended extension of the S-Bahn network within the circle line (S4).
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #366
Schliemann

Yes the Reichstag would useless when it comes to changing between lines, since it connects at Potsdammer Platz and Hauptbahnhof. And the area is already served by the U55/U5 and could therefor easily be discarded.
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #367
Schliemann

So what big projects with the U-Bahn are still in the planning. The 200 km line? Or maybe extention of the U4 to Prenzlauer Berg via Hauptbahnhof?
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #368
Schliemann

When they extend the U1 to Frankfurter Tor do you think they will build a totally new station at Warschauer Stra▀e? The S-Bahn station could certanly benefit from a better layout and the distance between the S and U is unnessisary long. Since the U1 runs at streetlevel they could easily build a very good connecting station by the bridge.
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #369
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I used to use that transfer a lot. The walk from the U-Bahn to the S-Bahn is quite long indeed.
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #370
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

Berlin has some cool subway stations. Thx 4 the pics.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #371
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
So what big projects with the U-Bahn are still in the planning. The 200 km line? Or maybe extention of the U4 to Prenzlauer Berg via Hauptbahnhof?
No big projects only one project, the U5 to Hauptbahnhof, there is no money for other big projects, Berlin is a poor city. They are thinking about closing lines, the U4 for example, because they have not enough money.
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #372
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

Does anyone have photos of what the new Brandenburger Tor U-Bahn station looks like from the outside? I'm interested in how Pariser Platz/Unter den Linden looks now that the construction fences etc... are gone.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #373
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Since last tuesday there is a reduced S-Bahn-service again! Only 25% of all trains are in operation! Reason: During a routine inspection at a S-Bahn-carriage it was found that 4 out of 8 brakes were defunct. Now ALL S-Bahn trains in Berlin have to be checked again!

Quote:
News - reduced timetable from 08. september 2009
English informations

Dear Passengers,

Owing to safety-critical inspection work which has become necessary at short notice, we are currently unfortunately unable to ensure a fixed timetable. We are however endeavouring to offer services at 20-minute intervals on all lines operating. Please use regional transport, the underground, buses and trams as an alternative.

the following sections are currently not at service:

* Alexanderplatz <> Westkreuz
* Westkreuz <> Nikolassee
* Westkreuz <> Spandau
* Wartenberg <> Springpfuhl
* Sch÷neweide <> Spindlersfeld
* Strausberg <> Strausberg Nord (between Strausberg and Strausberg Nord alternative service by bus)

Map with the limited service. All lines with an "x" are not in operation. 23 stations are closed now.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #374
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Actually, market economics is the best system for a great deal of trade and business. This is easily proved by comparing with countries that don't have market economies. We certainly wouldn't be communicating like this on the Internet today in opposite ends of the world if governments were relied upon for technological innovation, development and deployment.

The U.S. government invented the Internet doofus. It was a creation of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in 1969.
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #375
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The U.S. government invented the Internet doofus. It was a creation of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in 1969.
Wow. What sort of person just calls another a doofus over a discussion like this? Did you never learn any social etiquette when you were a child, or are you still one?

Yes, the US government invented the basic technology behind the Internet, but the fact you are using it now has nothing to do with the government but private companies who invested into the technology and developed the, further. Just look at government designed technology for consumers and you can see how bad they usually are.

By the way, the internet as you use it today, the World Wide Web, Web Servers and the browser to use it was invented by a Brit called Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in Switzerland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web

But it was Microsoft that brought it to the everyday user with the release of Windows 95. And it was other companies that developed and evolved both the software and hardware that made it possible for everyone, including you to use it on a daily basis.

If the government was solely responsible for the technology needed for the hardware and software of a global internet device in every home of the developed world, I can assure you that we would not have it today.
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #376
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Hi - my first post to Skyscraper city so be gentle.

I haven't been to Berlin since 1996 (for a Love Parade actually), I used to go a lot when it had it's wall back in the 80's. Back then the S-Bahn was a very neglected system, I seem to think it was run by the GDR (the old East Berlin) and only one or two lines were still running in the western section and there were lots of derelict stations. The trains then looked much the same as now, but had hard wooden seats.

On my first visit in 1981 we took an S bahn from Wannsee into the city and were told off by some West Berlin friends for using it, Westerners only used the U-bahn back then.

Anyway, just showing me age.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #377
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Hoosier is one of those wannabe leftists, so don't take his posts seriously Justme.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #378
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr23Derek View Post
On my first visit in 1981 we took an S bahn from Wannsee into the city and were told off by some West Berlin friends for using it, Westerners only used the U-bahn back then.
hey derek! Actually your story is quite interesting. Do you happen to have some photos from those days?
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #379
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
hey derek! Actually your story is quite interesting. Do you happen to have some photos from those days?
Very few I'm afraid and most of what I did take was of the wall I think but I'll have a dig through the box. Berlin used to be a very special place when it had its wall, I must go back sometime to see what's left, but somehow I fear it's become just another city - although for all our sakes it's probably a good thing!

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #380
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

No, Berlin hasn't become to "just another city". There is still a mental divide in east and west among many original Berliners. And it is probably the only capital in Europe where it is cheaper to live than in other major cities of the country. That attracts a lot of the arts and subcultural scene, which makes Berlin still special today, just in a positive context.

joethelion liked this post
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn