daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #381
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Well on the other hand I think its a shame how Berlin treated its 'heritage'. No doubt the wall was unwanted, but demolishing it like that - except for a short section somewhere off the beaten track - was just wrong. Same goes for destroying "Palast der Republik". A fake checkpoint charlie (yes the original one was demolished too of course) can't make up for that
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #382
City-Kelle
Kelle is into cities.

Likes (Received): 0

Personally I think that there are enough pieces of the Wall and Berlin in general made a big step forward in the right way. Its edginess and vibrant scene is a vast attraction for people around the world.
City-Kelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #383
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr23Derek View Post
Hi - my first post to Skyscraper city so be gentle.

I haven't been to Berlin since 1996 (for a Love Parade actually), I used to go a lot when it had it's wall back in the 80's. Back then the S-Bahn was a very neglected system, I seem to think it was run by the GDR (the old East Berlin) and only one or two lines were still running in the western section and there were lots of derelict stations. The trains then looked much the same as now, but had hard wooden seats.

On my first visit in 1981 we took an S bahn from Wannsee into the city and were told off by some West Berlin friends for using it, Westerners only used the U-bahn back then.

Anyway, just showing me age.

Derek
You are cooler than you'll ever know.

I wish I'd been able to visit Berlin in the 80s. I bet you went to Manchester in the 80s and saw early New Order concerts too, didn't you? Lucky bastard.

GRRR SO JEALOUS!
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #384
City-Kelle
Kelle is into cities.

Likes (Received): 0

Me too. I love the 80s.
City-Kelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #385
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Favourite city on the continent... and the s-bahn is integral to that.

Long live my memories of Berlin - and those to come in the future!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #386
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Funny, none of you seems to know what is going on with the S-Bahn these recent months....

Berlin S-Bahn debacle may cost Deutsche Bahn dearly

Published: 10 Sep 09 14:30 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090910-21845.html

Berlin’s mayor sharply criticised the operators of the city’s crippled S-Bahn transport system on Thursday amid reports Deutsche Bahn faces losses of several hundred million euros for the botched commuter rail service.

After another safety scandal left just 25 percent of the fleet in service this week on top of an already reduced schedule, the Berlin city government said it will give the company just a €5 million of its usual €20-million monthly payment in September.

“The privatisation was obviously taken too seriously here,” Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit told broadcaster ZDF on Thursday morning, referencing Deutsche Bahn's plans to go public before the financial crisis hit.

Wowereit also said the company had been “trimmed for profit” and scandalously lost sight of safety concerns at its subsidiaries like the S-Bahn.

Parliamentary liaison to the Transportation Ministry Achim Großmann divulged that he asked a recent board meeting when “circumstances appropriate to western civilisation would again prevail.”

Delays and reduced service began on July 20 to inspect faulty train axles after a derailment. Service wasn’t expected to return to normal until December when this week the company announced a problem with brakes that needed immediate attention – cutting service again by 75 percent.

Meanwhile the Financial Times Deutschland reported that the continued incompetence will likely cost Deutsche Bahn a “few hundred million euros.”

The paper also alleged it had gathered evidence that S-Bahn workers had intentionally filled out safety forms incorrectly to say that brake parts had been replaced, even though they had not actually been repaired.

The debacle will likely tear a dangerous hole into Deutsche Bahn head Rüdiger Grube’s 2009 budget, in addition to destroying his political credibility, the paper said.

Berlin state prosecutors are also investigating S-Bahn executives over the mismanagement that led to the chaos. S-Bahn boss Tobias Heinemann and other members of the company’s executive board were accused of consistently ignoring train maintenance schedules and allowing damaged wagons to return to service unrepaired. He and three others were replaced on July 2.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #387
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

The thing with Berlin's S-Bahn is that it's a myth. And people tend to forget the daily operational side of that 'myth'. Currently it's truely a debacle and it will probably hurt the system a lot.

How are the Berliner's coping these days? Can U-Bahn and regional trains cope with all the extra passengers?
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #388
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Those who have a car, simply use it more extensively. The others use alternative routes or their bikes.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #389
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
The thing with Berlin's S-Bahn is that it's a myth. And people tend to forget the daily operational side of that 'myth'. Currently it's truely a debacle and it will probably hurt the system a lot.
The S-Bahn isn't a myth. It's pretty real and essential to the city which makes it so unbearable to cope without it.
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #390
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Seeing as rheintram asked, a quick dig into the archive box came up with a video I shot in 1990 when I went over to Berlin for the Pink Floyd Wall concert and to have a look at what was left of the wall. The vid is mostly about east Berlin and the wall, but does include some shots of the S Bahn.

Anyhow, I've started a thread about the wall because they don't really belong here - see here

Derek

joethelion liked this post

Last edited by nr23Derek; September 19th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM   #391
Schliemann

Likes (Received): 2

The plan is to make a connecting station between the U5 and the U6 at Unter den Linden. My question is, what will happen to the U6 station at Französische Straße? Will it be closed and a totally new station be build, or will it merely change names and a connecting tunnel constructed to the U5? Although not at Unter den Linden, the station is pretty close to it. Seems like a waist of money to build a new station 300 meters north of the old one.
Schliemann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM   #392
Schliemann

And... In the Technikmuseum in Berlin I saw a model of the Potsdamer Platz station. I also read on Wikipedia that there are actually three U-bahn platforms there, although only one is in use. I would really like to see a plan drawing of these platforms. So if someone knows where i could find it whether its on the internet or not, that would really make my day.
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM   #393
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schliemann View Post
The plan is to make a connecting station between the U5 and the U6 at Unter den Linden. My question is, what will happen to the U6 station at Französische Straße? Will it be closed and a totally new station be build, or will it merely change names and a connecting tunnel constructed to the U5? Although not at Unter den Linden, the station is pretty close to it. Seems like a waist of money to build a new station 300 meters north of the old one.
The station will be moved to the new location.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:53 AM   #394
flierfy

Quote:
And... In the Technikmuseum in Berlin I saw a model of the Potsdamer Platz station. I also read on Wikipedia that there are actually three U-bahn platforms there, although only one is in use. I would really like to see a plan drawing of these platforms. So if someone knows where i could find it whether its on the internet or not, that would really make my day.
http://www.nordsued-s-bahn.de/bildbox/12.jpg
This is a drawing of the station in the late 1930s. The only thing that has been added since is the mainline station just west of the S-Bahn.
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #395
Schliemann

Thank you for that flierfy. It reminds me that i need to pick up a copy of that book.

As i thought, there is a huge underground structure present there, with only parts being used. The east-west tracks shown on that maps are (i assume) tracks that would be used for the hypothetical U10. That leaves me with the question of how much of that line has actually been constructed. Had the construction for that line already started at the time, or was it only a preparation?

Secondly. The underground link between the S-Bahn and the U2. Does it exist? And this lobby from which it comes from. Where is that, and did it have a specific purpose? Like a shopping area
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #396
flierfy

Quote:
As i thought, there is a huge underground structure present there, with only parts being used. The east-west tracks shown on that maps are (i assume) tracks that would be used for the hypothetical U10. That leaves me with the question of how much of that line has actually been constructed. Had the construction for that line already started at the time, or was it only a preparation?
The U10 has been given up in favour of an U3. A few hundred metres including the station of this proposed underground line were built in the 1990s. These are only provisions, however, as the construction of the U3 is in limbo.

Quote:
Secondly. The underground link between the S-Bahn and the U2. Does it exist? And this lobby from which it comes from. Where is that, and did it have a specific purpose? Like a shopping area
No, the U2 is not directly connected to the mainline and S-Bahn station at Potsdamer Platz. Interchange between the U2 and the S-Bahn there includes a walk on street level in any case.
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #397
Schliemann

When you say it has been given up for the U3 are you talking about what used to be the U3 project (shown on the map U10/U3) or the current U3 line?
Because that would make sense to me to extend the current U3 beyond Prenzlauer Berg via Potsdamer Platz. In my opinion it should then stop going to Nollendorfplatz but instead turn North (like the map shows) with a stop at Schillstraße.
The Western end of the map would be done instead with an extension of the U1.
But would they ever consider such a massive project, extending a kleinprofil line?

If making massive extensions of kleinprofil lines is indeed acceptable, then I would also like them to extend the U4 into what is refered to as the U11 on wikipedia. I could see it having stations at Magdeburger Platz (where it would connect to the U3), Gemäldegalerie, and Paulstraße (on the other side of Tiergarten) before connecting to Hauptbahnhof.
But then again, with the U4 only having 5 stations it would probably be worth the effort of broadening the existing tracks, making it Großprofil.

I know Berlin doesn't have any money to (drastically) extend it's network. But having these stub lines can't be very attractive.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #398
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

one question. was the U8 line in use during the seperation era from voltastrasse to moritzplatz? I mean, were the trains passing under East Berlin when the wall was seperating the city, eventhough they didn't stop to East Berlin's stations, or this part was closed?
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #399
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
one question. was the U8 line in use during the seperation era from voltastrasse to moritzplatz? I mean, were the trains passing under East Berlin when the wall was seperating the city, eventhough they didn't stop to East Berlin's stations, or this part was closed?
Yes it was. The U8 trains passed from voltastrasse to moritzplatz without intermediate stop. U6 only had one stop in Friedrichstrasse.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #400
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

thank you. But there was no exit from Friedrichstrasse station to East Berlin right? People could just change to S1 & S3 right?

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn