daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #581
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Any info regarding the U5 extension connecting Alexanderplatz and Brandenburger Tor? How far along are they? When will any of the stations open?
Construction start was much delayed due to important archaeological findings. Now real construction is starting. Opening of the line this way will be delayed to around 2019.
U5 - Berlin's neverending story, the line noone wanted but everybody ended up building anyways.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #582
Minato ku

S-Bahn

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #583
Minato ku

joethelion liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #584
Minato ku

Tram

joethelion liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #585
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11115

Have you been in berlin recently, Minato?
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #586
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Why nobody wanted U5? It makes sense as a connector of many other lines and serving important destinations. Much better than any currently available option.
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #587
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Have you been in berlin recently, Minato?
In August 2011.
Great city and great transportation system.
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #588
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why nobody wanted U5? It makes sense as a connector of many other lines and serving important destinations. Much better than any currently available option.
And, if continued in the north-western part of the city, would fill a giant gap in that sector...

I have more doubts about S21, even if I'm very curious about that project.

BTW, I was in Berlin one month ago, the portion of Alexanderplatz between the station and the Rathaus is a messy building site for the U5 works.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #589
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5950

The U5 expansion seems to make perfect sense. The disaster is that Chancellor subway as long as this expansion is not realized. Its a shame for Germany as a whole, after all Berlin is the capital.
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #590
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

That´s right! It´s a national tragedy! Thank you for bringing up this painful subject.

What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #591
jomateix

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
The U5 expansion seems to make perfect sense. The disaster is that Chancellor subway as long as this expansion is not realized. Its a shame for Germany as a whole, after all Berlin is the capital.
Not being german, I just see that a not rich enough city/regional government has to do some cuts because doesn't have money. And the problem is...? Is better to extract more money from "somewhere" to do a service that a bus already can do? Isn't all this a good sign of governance without mad rush for "capital" things? Aren't they using logic over heart in something so important like social money (admirable these times!)? This is one of the reasons that makes me admire post-1945 Germany and german people.

I understand the importance of the Hauptbahnhof, but more difficult/expensive/important is the enlargment of the U4 and more years this line has been the funny thing in the U-bahn map and nobody internationally cared.

What is Washington DC in a country with the 20%/25% GDP of the world? In other countries: Beijing, Tianjing Shanghai, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai... All this "capital" thing is just antinatural.

What is really harmful is watching this luxurious capitals in the middle of nowhere (economically speaking, and I preffer to NOT cite any) artificially enlarged by [kings/dictators/old monopolies/political parties] while the 80%/90% of the money and work is produced outside having by far a better effect in the territory.

The times of reality-by-postcards passed: Welcome to the Internet. No more fake cities, please.

Last edited by jomateix; April 19th, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
jomateix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #592
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Dear Suburbanist and other supporters of U5 extension, please look at this map.

U 5 extension will run parallel to the Stadtbahn line of the S-Bahn between Alexanderplatz and Hauptbahnhof. It is never more than 5 minutes by walking from the S-Bahn. For those who wish to walk less, the bus with frequent stops on Unter den Linden will continue to be the better option.
U 5 will therefore only bring benefits to those who leave far east of the Alexanderplatz and will save transfering at Alex when going to Hauptbahnhof. The number of passengers concerned and the plus in comfort and ridership does not justify such a huge investment.
I agree with Wilhelm though that if the orginal plan to extend it to Jungfernheide as a diagonal line to connect the Northwestern districts of Moabit and northern Charlottenburg to downtown (East) Berlin, this would have been a real gain.
Old April 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #593
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Dear Suburbanist and other supporters of U5 extension, please look at this map.

U 5 extension will run parallel to the Stadtbahn line of the S-Bahn between Alexanderplatz and Hauptbahnhof. It is never more than 5 minutes by walking from the S-Bahn. For those who wish to walk less, the bus with frequent stops on Unter den Linden will continue to be the better option.
U 5 will therefore only bring benefits to those who leave far east of the Alexanderplatz and will save transfering at Alex when going to Hauptbahnhof. The number of passengers concerned and the plus in comfort and ridership does not justify such a huge investment.
I agree with Wilhelm though that if the orginal plan to extend it to Jungfernheide as a diagonal line to connect the Northwestern districts of Moabit and northern Charlottenburg to downtown (East) Berlin, this would have been a real gain.
I just made a comment about the geography of the line, having been on the area couple times (not relevant but still: I support the construction of the A100 ring road - Stadt ring and some elevated expressways over tram lines like M4 instead of rail, but since the leftist government of Berlin State will not build 100km of highways, it useful to think about the rail investments).

U5 makes a lot of sense.

The S-Bahn stations are not that close and they look crap.

The Museum island and the Berliner Dom are more like 1km from the nearest station, and it is a major hit with tourists. the Brandenburg Tor is also isolated from the Hbf. station by rail, unless you use a combination of S-Bahn with a change and lengthy loss of time because of station design.

They could get away with a tram... but they'd have put 20 stops instead of 7 stations. However, buses as you suggested are an inferior 3rd World form of transportation an no substitute for segregated transit services.
Old April 20th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #594
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Quote:
I just made a comment about the geography of the line, having been on the area couple times (not relevant but still: I support the construction of the A100 ring road - Stadt ring and some elevated expressways over tram lines like M4 instead of rail, but since the leftist government of Berlin State will not build 100km of highways, it useful to think about the rail investments).

U5 makes a lot of sense.

The Museum island and the Berliner Dom are more like 1km from the nearest station, and it is a major hit with tourists. the Brandenburg Tor is also isolated from the Hbf. station by rail, unless you use a combination of S-Bahn with a change and lengthy loss of time because of station design.

They could get away with a tram... but they'd have put 20 stops instead of 7 stations. However, buses as you suggested are an inferior 3rd World form of transportation an no substitute for segregated transit services.
Just tipped it into google route planner. Berliner Dom is 500 meters, 6 minutes walk, from Hackescher Markt station. Alte Nationalgalerie is even closer. The other two museums are 600 meters from Friedrichstraße station, closer than the 700 m walk to the future station of Museumsinsel.
There have been heavy investments into making the Stadtbahn stations not look like crap. If the result does not please you, this cannot be helped.
The busses are of course not to replace a rail connection, but to complement the S-Bahn line for those who are less mobile on foot or prefer easy orientation.
The easy orientation argument for tourists (have a station for Museumsinsel rather than studying a map on how to walk there from the S-Bahn) is just above the only argument, besides perhaps the one additional direct connection to Hauptbahnhof you found that I cna count in the favor of the line. I am in general in favor of rail infrastructure in major cities; my point however is that this route was not the most urgent or most necessary line for Berliners, and that other connections (or rail systems) would have made better use of the money.
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #595
Suburbanist
on the road

But if so, how to properly connect the new Hbf. station with the Bundestag, Brandernburg Tor or even other areas nearby? Because for that, U55 provides the only real link (using 2 S-Bahns from Brandenburg Tor to Hbf. will take a lot of time and the Bundestag, the seat of German government for all places, would be still totally disconnected!).

Do you seriously think people "should just get used to talk" to/from the Bundestag, as I once read in other thread?

Let's also remember that the U5 station x S-Bahn station transfer at Alexanderplatz is clearly a bad one: you need to exit the station, walk over a plaza in open air for almost 200m to get from one to another. No direct under/overground connection between the two, iff what I saw in a map is correct.

Last edited by Suburbanist; April 20th, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #596
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
the Bundestag, the seat of German government for all places, would be still totally disconnected!).

Do you seriously think people "should just get used to talk" to/from the Bundestag, as I once read in other thread?
It might be argued that no one who does not have services of a chauffeur has any business at Bundestag. But I doubt whether it is German voters who argue that.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #597
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:

U5 makes a lot of sense.

With all due respect, you have no f***ing clue what you're talking about.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM   #598
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5950

Berlin Mitte is, ... well, the centre of Berlin (even if Berlin has other centres as well, Mitte has beyond any doubt regained its old title as heart of the city). Therefore parallel lines (for a few stations) in a distance of half a km to each other are not unreasonably at all. To the contrary, in the heart of a city the transportation demands of a whole city bundle. Moreover the U55 connects better to many major central destinations while the S-Bahn is superior on a wider corridor also beyond the city centre and connects better to other central places of interest. People also can efficiently interchange between both.

In Vienna you have lots of subways within a several 100 m radius of the Stephans Cathedral, some of them also somewhat parallel for a few stations. No one would question their existence.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; April 21st, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:59 AM   #599
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1495

The main error of Suburbanist is that - in Berlin - buses are NOT an "inferior 3rd World form of transportation",
but a very good addition to segregated transit services.
And so are bikes, which are allowed in S-Bahn, subway and streetcars.

more, there is no more than 600 meters between the museums and Hackescher Markt S-bahn station

Nothing more pleasant than this statue in Berlin http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/...cf292dfe99.jpg

A+

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".

Last edited by nanar; April 22nd, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:10 AM   #600
Suburbanist
on the road

Buses are technologically inferior anywhere in the World for being totally dependable on human input to accelerate, brake and - especially - judge safety in turns, crossings etc. Its and inherent inferiority of all internal combustion, steering-parallel-axes-on-tires road vehicles. Mind you, I love cars and have used car extensively in Berlin, despite the high prices of parking... but when I use a car I have a seat belt all the time, and airbags and other stuff should something occur while bus passengers are not restrained at all...

So even in Berlin buses are inferior by design. They have safety features that are akin to those of trams of pre WW-2, if so (they still don't have guidance to prevent lateral acceleration).

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn