daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #621
XIX
Frequent Flyer

Likes (Received): 593

Thank you
XIX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #622
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Friedrichstraße was used by Westerns as an interchange to the S-Bahn trains running on the western part of the Stadtbahn (not depicted on that map). The road accesses to the U-Bahnhof were sealed off; the only possible connection was to the western tracks in the S-Bahnhof.

Despite lying in East Berlin territory, the Lehrter Bhf - Friedrichstr. part of the Stadtbahn was actually part of the West Berlin rail services, Friedrichstr. being the frontier station. The track layout was different from today's one: 4 tracks were dedicated to S-Bahn (each couple being separated from the other) and 2 tracks to those few main railway services crossing the frontier.
It should also be pointed out that Friedrichstr was a point of entry to East Berlin (at least for foreigners like me, not sure about Germans), So you could take the u and s -bahn into the east.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #623
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Yes, West German were allowed to pass the border coming from the U-Bahn or the S-Bahn that coming from the West ended there. In fact it was the main border crossing by rail. Also, there was a kiosk on the U-Bahn plattform selling alcohol for Deutsch Mark that was open all night. You could go there, buy booze and return to the American or British occupied sector without border or customs control.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM   #624
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2753

A train of the Berlin S-Bahn derailed a few hours ago, 6 people were injured:

Video:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/...tzte-1.1446346
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:10 PM   #625
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Oh, my poor 481s again

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM   #626
Kolothos
slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 768

I was recently in Berlin, made very good use of the S-Bahn! Great system.
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:51 AM   #627
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #628
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Deo liked this post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #629
vandiss

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azia View Post
will there be an expand line to falkensee in 2015 ?
Latest update I know is that the Berlin Senate wants to extend the S-bahn to Falkensee (Transport Plan 2017).

However, the Brandenburg government don't want to fund their part of the project meaning in the first instance the line would run as far as the Berlin/Brandenburg border (Albrechtshof).

Link
vandiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:09 PM   #630
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I have some questions:

- what is the track arrangement between U-Bahn stations Nollendhorfplatz and Wittenbergplatz? Could they re-shuffle/truncate services there if they wanted, for instance, routing U3 to Adernauerplatz or routing U4 to Pankow?

- why can't they deploy a system that prevents train doors from opening until the trains are completely stopped with brakes locked (instead of opening when the train is still moving some centimeters per second)?

- does BVG have plans to build more direct physical access between stations, especially between the Ring S-Bahn station and the U-Bahn stations when lines meet?

- some U-Bahn lines could be easily extended to the nearest S-Bahn line increasing connectivity. Do they have plane extending the U-Bahn from Adernauerplatz to S-Bahn Halensee, or from Krumme Lank to S-Bahn Mexikoplatz.

- do they have plans to upgrade some of the former East Berlin tram lines to elevated or underground metro? The line along route M17 seems a good candidate: plenty of blocks around, but not so close that an elevated line would be detrimental.

- why does BVG "cheats" users signaling buses or trams as if they were part of the same service? Just to avoid showcasing how western parts of the city have no trams and rely on crappy buses?

Last edited by Suburbanist; June 22nd, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 01:39 PM   #631
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
- why can't they deploy a system that prevents train doors from opening until the trains are completely stopped with brakes locked (instead of opening when the train is still moving some centimeters per second)?
It saves time, some seconds at every stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
- some U-Bahn lines could be easily extended to the nearest S-Bahn line increasing connectivity. Do they have plane extending the U-Bahn from Adernauerplatz to S-Bahn Halensee, or from Krumme Lank to S-Bahn Mexikoplatz.
Yes, since the 1930s
friedrichstrasse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM   #632
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
- do they have plans to upgrade some of the former East Berlin tram lines to elevated or underground metro? The line along route M17 seems a good candidate: plenty of blocks around, but not so close that an elevated line would be detrimental.
Trams in those areas are already pretty fast, and stops are often located at roads crossing, so there's not that much loss of time at traffic lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
- why does BVG "cheats" users signaling buses or trams as if they were part of the same service? Just to avoid showcasing how western parts of the city have no trams and rely on crappy buses?
They don't: buses have a purple rounded symbol, trams a red squared one. Same colors of the respective lines on the city map (trams are in orange to avoid confusion with railways, in red too).
Plus, there is a specific map of the tram network, which doesn't exist for buses (and would be greatly appreciated, at least M-buses...).

M-lines exist for both buses and trams, but it is a commercial designation for a network of lines (MetroNetz: http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17104...ro+Routes.html) which keep a minimum schedule of 10', and run 24/24.
I also remember M-lines had to keep a minimum average speed but I can't find any data about it

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM   #633
outage
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
I also remember M-lines had to keep a minimum average speed but I can't find any data about it
That would be nice you will find it. It is uncommon.
outage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM   #634
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

I find confusing to call bus and tram lines as "Metros" and to identify them with a "M".

flierfy liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #635
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Why? Metrobus and Metrotram. They are metropolitan services hence the 'M'.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:33 PM   #636
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

"Metro" is an international term that refers to U-Bahn.

tunnel owl, flierfy liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:41 PM   #637
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

I agree, a little confusing. But I guess it''s only people with special interest that care.

As for buses on the maps, they are drawn in the big map that you usually find on the u-bahn. I think they sell those for 30€. Unfortunately I forgot about buying one when I was in Berlin, which is a shame since they are really nice and big.
They are not good to use on the fly though.

tunnel owl liked this post
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:42 PM   #638
Wilhem275
The Transporter

You can get the city map for around € 5 and I suggest to buy it There's also the big one for € 30 or so.

But what is missed is the scheme of the bus network, while they have it for trams and S+U and also night lines (including night MetroBuses).

About the "Metro" word, there's not much ambiguity since BVG usually refers to trams and buses, not Metros.
I agree that first time users probably don't know the difference between
and

but whatever, to the user it's not that much important to know if a tram or bus will show up, as long as he's in the right spot to wait for it and the vehicle will display the proper line number.

Informed passengers, and transit junkies, have the complete information at hand, if needed.

The really tricky one is the X-bus! If you get on this one you may end up where you don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outage View Post
That would be nice you will find it. It is uncommon.
I remember many years ago I read something about it, maybe it was a minimum average of 20 km/h for trams and 15 for buses?

The only data I can find is that the average of the whole tramnetz is 19 km/h, which is not bad:
http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17106/name/Tram.html

Last edited by Wilhem275; June 22nd, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM   #639
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
The really tricky one is the X-bus! If you get on this one you may end up where you don't want to.
Now that sounds just plain spooky... Go on then, what's an X bus?

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:14 PM   #640
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Express buses (they don't only exist in Berlin) apply to buses the common express concept. They're buses which follow mostly the same route of a main line, but stop only at selected points to be a little faster.
When you look at the map, you have to check carefully the symbol of the stop, a full purple circle or the same with the white X.
http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17130...xpressBus.html

With a nice sense of humor, the TXL line not only goes to TXL but is also an X line

So if you get on X11 instead of M11 you may miss your stop, and sometimes they even follow different paths. X11 and M11 western termini are in completely different neighbourhoods!

I'm not against the concept of ExpressBuses, but if they follow a different path they should just give them a different number.

tunnel owl liked this post

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn