daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #661
SturmBeobachter
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
That is simply not true. Signage in Germany is rather excellent. Fonts, colour schemes and overall design is well thought-out and user-optimised. Whether it's roads or public transport facilities, the signage is clear to read and fool-proof.
Yes I agree, but Austria is not in Germany.
SturmBeobachter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #662
fifqa
berlińczyczkowianeczka

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
Yea, it was totally my fault. The one thing that made me certain was the time stamp on the ticket.

I quickly figured out that knowing the end stop of the train before entering the station/connecting line would help a lot, and it did.
Signs like this is usually pretty good to have:

Though you have signs like this on every U-Bahn platform in Berlin.

Here on the left side of the picture.
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #663
outage
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
That is simply not true. Signage in Germany is rather excellent. Fonts, colour schemes and overall design is well thought-out and user-optimised. Whether it's roads or public transport facilities, the signage is clear to read and fool-proof.
I agree. Standarisation is the best and placement of these signs are intuitive - no need to look for them.
outage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #664
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
Ostkreuz RE platform maybe does a good job for airport-trainservice one day,
I was actually thinking about the RE stop on the Stadtbahn although the RE stop on the Ring level will be an interesting new toy in Berlin's network.

Today RE stop at Karlshorts (and not even all of them), where you just get the tram, and Ostbhf, where you get... nothing, missing the huge amount of people moving along the eastern Ringbahn and also the three S lines to Lichtenberg.
I consider this an important gap.

With the new stop not only the Ring will be linked, but also people from S5-7-75 will have a faster way to cut through the city with RE, and with tram 21 people coming from the outskirts will have a straight connection with "Ring trams" M10 and M13 (with a better interchange than Warschauer Str.). Not to mention the airport link on the upper level, and the fact than finally Lichtenberg will be no more a terminal station.
Good job!

Letting the fantasy go, one could also create a RE link through Ostkreuz and Gesundbrunnen, for example bringing the RB22 to Spandau via Gesund.-Jungfernheid, or a new RE trunk K-Wusterhausen - Ostkreuz - Gesund. - Hbf... (just making examples here).
Although a "Ring RB22" Potsdam - Spandau sounds nice...

On the other side: Charlottenburg finally has a decent connection S-U7. The RE is not so lucky, being on the wrong side of the station... is there any plan to realign the regio platforms on the same axis as the S ones?.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #665
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I was actually thinking about the RE stop on the Stadtbahn although the RE stop on the Ring level will be an interesting new toy in Berlin's network.

On the other side: Charlottenburg finally has a decent connection S-U7. The RE is not so lucky, being on the wrong side of the station... is there any plan to realign the regio platforms on the same axis as the S ones?.
Ah, ok. In fact there will be additional platforms for RE at Ostkreuz when it´s all finished, somehow around 2016/2017. As you said it would improve a lot at this point which is not the case at Westkreuz.

There are no plans to swap sides of Charlottenburg RE-platforms. It took decades to move S-Bahn-platforms further east to have a shorter way to U7. Still you have 70 m to go, of cause a roof for pedestrians would be useful there.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #666
SturmBeobachter
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
Ah, ok. In fact there will be additional platforms for RE at Ostkreuz when it´s all finished, somehow around 2016/2017. As you said it would improve a lot at this point which is not the case at Westkreuz.

There are no plans to swap sides of Charlottenburg RE-platforms. It took decades to move S-Bahn-platforms further east to have a shorter way to U7. Still you have 70 m to go, of cause a roof for pedestrians would be useful there.

Kind regards
And I hope that someday they will actually finish the access to the platforms for tracks 1 and 2, they're superbly late and of course signage how to actually come there is almost useless.
SturmBeobachter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #667
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Any info regarding the U5 extension connecting Alexanderplatz and Brandenburger Tor? How far along are they? When will any of the stations open?
Today was the official beginning of digging with TBM from Rathaus towards Brandenburger Tor. Took a bike to make some snapshots with my smartphone, hopefully quality is ok.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9790370...7634302362785/

Kind regards
Alex
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #668
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

are there any plans to enclose metro stations in Berlin with turnstiles?
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #669
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I was quite shocked that BVG allows animals on the transit system. Not service dogs for the blind, but regular pets. That is quite awful and third-world-ish. I understand and accept the need for service dogs, which are extensively trained for more than 2 years to help blind people. I don't understand why a person without disabilities should be able to carry any animal on transit, especially bigger dogs.
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #670
jeromeee

Likes (Received): 48

Why? What's the problem with dogs?

AlexisMD, thun liked this post
jeromeee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #671
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I was quite shocked that BVG allows animals on the transit system. Not service dogs for the blind, but regular pets. That is quite awful and third-world-ish. I understand and accept the need for service dogs, which are extensively trained for more than 2 years to help blind people. I don't understand why a person without disabilities should be able to carry any animal on transit, especially bigger dogs.
I'm pleased to say that dogs are 100% allowed on Stockholm public transport too, however, not in all parts of the vehicle. Dogs are only allowed at the back of buses and in the middle carriage of trains so that people with allergies to animals can go to the sections where there are no animals.

It is not at all "third-worldish", to use your term, to provide service for animal owners.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #672
Suburbanist
on the road

Animal owners should find other means of transportation (walk, put in the car, animal transport, dog taxi). Else, you get a zoo in the transit system. Like those third world countries where you have people going on jitneys with pigs, hens and God knows what else.
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #673
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

I remember that incident. The pony was taken down soon afterwards for travelling without a valid ticket (it claimed it lost it due to not having hands but the officers rightly did not accept that excuse). Ponies have had many freedoms in our country but they are starting to take advantage of that. Now they are mugging, disturbing people by openly listening to inappropriate audio books and - worst of all - they are incredibly racist due to their rural background.

Wilhem275, thun, C-Beam, Cager, XAN_ and 2 others liked this post
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #674
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Animal owners should find other means of transportation (walk, put in the car, animal transport, dog taxi). Else, you get a zoo in the transit system. Like those third world countries where you have people going on jitneys with pigs, hens and God knows what else.
I find the derision you show towards the non-OECD countries highly derogatory. Like I said, it is allowed on our public transport network but it certainly does not degenerate into a zoo.

Public transportation is just that - to assist people moving around an urban area and to make it as convenient as possible to do so. I am very glad that if I were an animal owner I would be allowed to take my pet to the vet without hindrance AND without inconveniencing other users given that everyone knows how the system of where animals are and are not allowed, works.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #675
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I find the derision you show towards the non-OECD countries highly derogatory. Like I said, it is allowed on our public transport network but it certainly does not degenerate into a zoo.
I'm not referring to all OECD countries, but to certain transit systems in certain countries/cities. Actually many non-OECD countries have very harsh regulations on transit and stepped up enforcement of things like no loitering or no jaywalking around stops. I'm referring to something like this

Of course there are many systems that are top-quality in otherwise more poor countries...

Quote:
Public transportation is just that - to assist people moving around an urban area and to make it as convenient as possible to do so.
Does that mean you should be able to carry an IKEA cart on a subway at peak hour?
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #676
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Well in Italy (Florence, Rome, etc) they allow dogs on public transit and from what I have seen they (the dogs) are pretty well behaved and do not cause anyone problems. I don't see a reason why dog owners should not be able to take their pets into public transit or even restaurants and bars, etc.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #677
Suburbanist
on the road

Anyway, animals aside, a question: do they plan to expand the use of those Brandebur Tor stickers to S-Bahn? They look quite effective to reduce, drastically, window scratching.

For those who don't know, I"m talking about these:

They are put on windows of U-Bahn trains, and it makes hard to see some scratch drawing.

mb92, erbse liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #678
noisrevid
Hoodoo Operator

Likes (Received): 6022

As someone who lives in Berlin, i wouldn´t recommend that and I dont think that they have plans to do so. For U-Bahn its quite ok to protect the windows this way because it goes maynly underground. But for S-Bahn, which goes mainly upside earth it would disturb the view to the outside.

Here are some visuals for the new stations "Unter den Linden", "Museumsinsel" and "Berliner Rathaus" in U5 line.

Unter den Linden

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/de/10414...en+Linden.html

Museumsinsel

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/de/10414...eumsinsel.html

Berliner Rathaus

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/de/10414...r+Rathaus.html

mb92, chambre12, dj4life, geometarkv liked this post
noisrevid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #679
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 525

It looks like I've missed something new from Berlin

Just to be clear about the U5 project:
The U5 will be connected from Alexanderplatz to Brandenburger Tor and in the end of the project the U5 will run from Honow to Hauptbahnhof?

What's going on with U6 between Franzosische Strasse and Friedrichstrasse? Are they building an interchange with the future U5?

And what's up with U8 between Boddinstrasse and Hermannstrasse?
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #680
noisrevid
Hoodoo Operator

Likes (Received): 6022

You are right about the U5. The line will run from Hönow to Hauptbahnhof.
The construction works for the interchange station between U5 and U6 had already started.
By now the U6 is split into 2 parts because of the constructions which are need to be done underneath the line of U6. If you take a closer look at this visualisation you can see the upper train too.

I dont know whats going on by U8, but i will do some research and post it later, maybe tommorow.
noisrevid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn