daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #741
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Lines U1 to A4 are built to Kleinprofil (width 2.35 meters), all other lines are built to Großprofil which is 30 cm wider.

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #742
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
But this is no real assignation as vehicles are used rather flexible within its own sub-network. Hence there is no assignation of one series of vehicles to one service line as well.
That's what I meant. Thanks!
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #743
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr23Derek View Post
So what are the two gauges and which lines have which? Is this a remnant of the division days or just an historical fact?
It is indeed a remnant of the division days. Not of the well-known post-war division though, but from the decades before the formation of Greater Berlin when the growing conurbation were still politically fragmented. It was in the early 20th century when metropolitan Berlin had already spread into the nearby towns. Three of these towns, Charlottenburg, Wilmersdorf and notably Schöneberg, tackled the growing traffic problems by building some metro lines. These lines are elevated or run in tunnels just below street level which forces them to follow street alignment strictly. Today these lines run as lines U1, U2, U3 and U4.

When the city of Berlin started to build its own metro lines it opted for a more generous standard. The loading gauge of these lines are wider, the alignment straighter and the tunnel lie deeper in the ground. All lines from U5 upwards form this big gauge network today.

Deadeye Reloaded, kjetilab liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #744
whatsuplucas

I thought the traffic around Friedrichstraße and Unter den Linden would be awful, but it seems pretty good even with the works around there. It's just a little sad to go from Französische Straße to Friedrichstraße on foot when it's raining.
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #745
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Berlin road traffic is not bad. For the better and for the worse both sides built some quite wide boulevards. The city also has rather spread centers of employment and its arrangement do not require people driving form the outer neighborhoods to them to cross Mitte and other very central areas.
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #746
whatsuplucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Berlin road traffic is not bad. For the better and for the worse both sides built some quite wide boulevards. The city also has rather spread centers of employment and its arrangement do not require people driving form the outer neighborhoods to them to cross Mitte and other very central areas.
It's not, but I thought it'd be at least there. Even with all the tourists around there, it flows perfectly.
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #747
Akula_00

Likes (Received): 10

Here is a very good site by the topic Ostkreuz und Warschauer Straße: Ostkreuzblog

A few pictures

kyah117, Minato ku liked this post
Akula_00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #748
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

What construction are they working on at Boddinstraße(U8)? I was there in may and it seemed to be extensive construction with a close down of the southern exit and tear down of the tiles. As I see on older videos and pictures of the station, the tiles looked pretty nice and inline with the other stations on line 8.
It also appears that the north exit have been closed before.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #749
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
What construction are they working on at Boddinstraße(U8)?
There is an urgent need for repair for the tunnel between Boddinstraße and Hermannstraße. Build around 1929 the walls suffered from water-lacks. So the original tiling of Boddinstraße and Leinestraße had to be knocked down unfortunately in order to see how bad the concrete got damaged behind this. But a few days ago the southern exit of Boddinstraße reopened with tiling very closely designed to the original tiling. Same will be down with all tilings of Boddinstraße and Leinestraße. Both stations are protected buildings, so don´t worry too much about the original look. It´s not forgotten. Next week the section Boddinstraße-Hermannstraße will close completely because of renovation.

Kind regards

Northridge liked this post

Last edited by tunnel owl; August 6th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #750
Minato ku

Wow, Ostkreuz has really changed since my visit in August 2011.
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #751
Akula_00

Likes (Received): 10

@Northridge

What do you exactly mean? The Station U-Boddinstraße is being renovated since last year. They might confuse the station with U-Leinestraße? Which is currently being renovated and there wasfound severe damage to steel girders.

Already in 2012, all the old tiles were removed in U-Boddinstraße. Such tiles can be restored only rarely. You will then faithfully recreate and fired again and replace the old tiles. Look at yourself so nothing will change. This gives the monument not forth.
Akula_00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #752
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Hence there is no assignation of one series of vehicles to one service line as well.
Not quite. Small-profile rolling-stock of the G-series is only allowed to run with eight-car-trains because it has no slip-door at the front-side. So it´s basically seen on U2. Same goes for the new Hk-trains because they are configured as 2*4 cars. U2 needs 8-car-trains. U1, U3 runs with six-car-trains, U4 with only two-car-trains. So type G and Hk run only on U2.

Big-profile trains of the F-series F84 to F94 are not allowed to run on the U5 because they have asynchronous motors without surveying of frequencies, so this might cause problems with the WSSB-signalling system of former GDR-production based on 50Hz-technology. H-trains have this, so U5 is a domain for that trains. Never heard that real problems occured with this on U5 but it´s on the safe side.

Kind regards
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #753
Northridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula_00 View Post
@Northridge

What do you exactly mean? The Station U-Boddinstraße is being renovated since last year. They might confuse the station with U-Leinestraße? Which is currently being renovated and there wasfound severe damage to steel girders.

Already in 2012, all the old tiles were removed in U-Boddinstraße. Such tiles can be restored only rarely. You will then faithfully recreate and fired again and replace the old tiles. Look at yourself so nothing will change. This gives the monument not forth.
I mean what you basically said. The old tiles have been removed and the sothern exit is closed. There are big tents on the streetlevel for what I would assume is storing equipment and other things. But I wonder why they have removed them and closed down the exit(s) and what is the plan for the station?
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #754
Northridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
There is an urgent need for repair for the tunnel between Boddinstraße and Hermannstraße. Build around 1929 the walls suffered from water-lacks. So the original tiling of Boddinstraße and Leinestraße had to be knocked down unfortunately in order to see how bad the concrete got damaged behind this. But a few days ago the southern exit of Boddinstraße reopened with tiling very closely designed to the original tiling. Same will be down with all tilings of Boddinstraße and Leinestraße. Both stations are protected buildings, so don´t worry too much about the original look. It´s not forgotten. Next week the section Boddinstraße-Hermannstraße will close completely because of renovation.

Kind regards
Thanks for the answer. Was it as bad as feared? I also would like to thank you for all the information you are contributing to this thread. Very interesting to read.
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #755
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
Thanks for the answer. Was it as bad as feared? I also would like to thank you for all the information you are contributing to this thread. Very interesting to read.
Your welcomeUnfortunately it was. Main thing: Sometimes concrete of the 20s or 30s is bad because they did bad work sometimes and the technology was not that approved at this times. Another thing is that Berlin-tunnels lie under the groundwater-level. Therefore they put a layer of tar and paper around the tunnels. Paris did a good job to use something like ceramic-stuff for this. What no one expected, tar is a victim of time and it´s getting thiner and thiner. Now they use tar-based stuff again but let´s hope that it will last longer.

Another very bad thing was to put salt on streets in winter until the 90s. This is poison for concrete and tar but still the best thing to get roads clear very fast.

Kind regards

Northridge liked this post
Old August 6th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #756
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I find it quite bad practice to remake tiles like old ones. They should instead rebuild the interior with modern tiling when they need to renovate a place.
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #757
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quick trip from old Schönefeld station to the BER station, with BR481:

And backwards:

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #758
whatsuplucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Wow, Ostkreuz has really changed since my visit in August 2011.
The upper part? The S-Bahn tracks still look really ugly, as well as Warschauer Straße.
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #759
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Quick trip from old Schönefeld station to the BER station, with BR481:
Amazing. Thank you very much for those pics

First video shows at 3:02 an interesting thing. As we see Berlin S-Bahn runs with third rail (750 DC). When they started electrification in 1924 almost all of the dedicated S-Bahntracks were already build for steam-service. If those tracks pass a bridge there was no space for thrid rail at the guirders, even worse, they had to invent a current-collector which is able to slip horizontal when passing a bridge. I suppose Hamburg S-Bahn must have done the same. So, if a train passes a bridge, there is a guide-rail for the current-collector, moving him in a more horizontal position. As you see in 3:02 S-Bahn uses former tracks of BAR (Outer Berlin-railway-circle). This bridge built back in the 80s is not foressen for third rail and they had to build this guide-rail again.

This caused some trouble because since the 20s S-Bahn tries to get rid of every bridge with those guide-rails. Trains with movable current-collectors cause more wear at the third rail and the whole system must be maintained. Now they have to wait again until this bridge will be rebuilt one day. So maybe in some decades we will have trains with fastened current-collectors.

Kind regards

caiocco, Wilhem275 liked this post
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #760
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I find it quite bad practice to remake tiles like old ones. They should instead rebuild the interior with modern tiling when they need to renovate a place.
They're protected buildings. By law they would have to keep the original style and that's a great thing.

I think destroying heritage buildings is bad practice.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn