daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #761
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
So, if a train passes a bridge, there is a guide-rail for the current-collector, moving him in a more horizontal position.
Well, I just learnt a new thing... do you have other examples of such old bridges still in use in the S-Bahn network?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #762
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Well, I just learnt a new thing... do you have other examples of such old bridges still in use in the S-Bahn network?
Huh hard to say, they´re getting lasser and lesser. I suppose the S-bahn branches to Erkner and Bernau still have some bridges with those rails. Last thing I remember was the renovation of bridges between Baumschulenweg and Adlershof.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #763
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
They're protected buildings. By law they would have to keep the original style and that's a great thing.

I think destroying heritage buildings is bad practice.
Correct. They are listed buildings. Nowadays it´s hard to imagine someone would destroy old metro-stations in Paris, a Holden-building in London Underground, Budapest földalatti or a Wagner-styled building in Viennas U-Bahn. Impossible to think about this in Moscow.

Until 1920 Alfred Grenander was the main architect of Berlin U-Bahn stations. The first stations of Siemens-Hochbahn looked more like the Budapest ones. Later he stood in line and contact with Holdens architecture in the 20s and 30s. Grenander was a swedish born archtect who died in 1931. He tended to a straight modern plain looking design. Athens ISAP-line was converted into metro-service in the 1930. The two stations in tunnel were designed like Berlin stations because AEG (german company) did the engineering. Omonia-station looks similar with Rosenthaler Platz and Victoria looks similar with Voltastraße, both typical Grenander-stations.

Since 1962 until 1996 Rainer G. Rümmler created most U-Bahnstations in Berlin in a colorful 70s pop-art-style, later in the 80s with post-modernism. Rümmler was a big fan of Stockholms tunnelbana and it´s station concept, creating individual stations with a relationship between surface and underground. So I like the Sofia and Naples metro-stations as they remind me of Berlins 70s and 80s-style.

But what is a main problem with heritage buildings? They have to reach a certain age until they are seen as worth to be protected. Nowadays architecture from the 70s sometimes becomes a vicitm of superfiicial investments. That´s life.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #764
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34806

Unter den Linden / Friedrichstraße - "U5"

they are closing it:

In front of the " Roten Rathaus":

my own pics, ©Ludi

more about the U5-construction in the german SSC-Thread for the U5.

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Svartmetall, kyah117, n20, geometarkv liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #765
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
U55 – END OF THE LINE is an innovative horror game set in modern-day Berlin.
Source

Since this is a horror game, take precaution watching the video
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #766
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Now that is a detailed rendition! I might put some coins into it...

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #767
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26130

What's up on Berlin tram extensions? Any updates?
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #768
charlotterich

Likes (Received): 0

im living in berlin. Thx for the great pictures. And how time is changing transportation
charlotterich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #769
lechevallierpatrick

Likes (Received): 94

The tram extension to HAUPTBAHNHOF sould be readyby 2015.....

Ludi liked this post
lechevallierpatrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #770
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34806

2015?

I think they want to finish next year allready...

Here last update, the last part in "Invalidenstraße:

my own pics, ©Ludi

More about Tram in Berlin in german SSC-Thread here.

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

kyah117 liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #771
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
- why can't they deploy a system that prevents train doors from opening until the trains are completely stopped with brakes locked (instead of opening when the train is still moving some centimeters per second)?
Had it not dawned on you that a speedier form of metro operation was intentional?

Anyhow, I'm glad this former sleeper of a thread is active.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #772
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

You can build doors that open faster. The problem with opening train doors before it totally stops, at least in Berlin's case, is that sometimes they open WAY too much before the train actually stops, which can cause falls and injuries.
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #773
Wilhem275
The Transporter

It can, but since it does not, there's no problem

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #774
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8808

Quote:
You can build doors that open faster. The problem with opening train doors before it totally stops, at least in Berlin's case, is that sometimes they open WAY too much before the train actually stops, which can cause falls and injuries.
This is not an issue. We don't need to wrap people in cotton wool and bubble wrap. Where is personal responsibility? Shall we have it that all car doors lock automatically as soon as the handbrake is taken off just in case someone opens it when the car has not come to a complete stop too?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #775
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
This is not an issue. We don't need to wrap people in cotton wool and bubble wrap. Where is personal responsibility? Shall we have it that all car doors lock automatically as soon as the handbrake is taken off just in case someone opens it when the car has not come to a complete stop too?
This is called "forgiving design": systems planned to reduce harm even when its user is inattentive of makes some judgement error.
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #776
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Montreal's own method at <0.2KPH has never been known to (e.g.) twist any alighting passenger's ankle ... seldom do I encounter a train that needs recalibrating.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #777
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8808

Quote:
This is called "forgiving design": systems planned to reduce harm even when its user is inattentive of makes some judgement error.
Precisely. So you do advocate automatic locking of car doors as soon as the handbrake is removed, then? You cannot have such measures for one mode and not for another otherwise you're just being illogical. There is just as much of a risk of a car door being opened too soon as there is someone hurting themselves because they opened the door when the driver decides to move the car further up the driveway (for example).
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #778
jeromeee

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
I have never seen or heard of anybody who had an accident because of that issue. Where do you have that from, is that personal experience and if not do you have any source?
jeromeee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #779
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
Source Since this is a horror game, take precaution watching the video <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn_npe3QQB4">YouTube Link</a>
Damn, that's great.
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:10 AM   #780
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I was watching a video I recorded back in 2009, and there is a BR 423 with S-Bahn logos running through the lower level of Hbf.

http://youtu.be/cEp1WvRTmro?t=8m3s

I clearly remember them in 2006 as S21, and also in 2009 on the Stadtbahn due to the BR 481 disaster*, but I didn't remember them on the North-South line. Did they replace S1/2/25 too?

* I remember the rusted S-tracks of the Stadtbahn, what a sad vision...

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn