daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #981
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

To Berliners, how much transport disruption on the rail transport is there on Christmas eve? I am in Berlin then and want to take lots of photos and videos of the transport.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #982
vandiss

Likes (Received): 16

There are plans afoot to extend the U1 from Warschauer Straße to Ostkreuz, thus giving the line a connection to the Ringbahn.

You'll have to Google for the story as I can't post links with my meagre post count...
vandiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:03 PM   #983
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Thank you as usual for all this competence. I miss the city and its rails so much, and the day I'll get back there you'll have a free beer
You´re welcome

Well in other cities like Munich or Vienna U3 to Mexikoplatz would already work. Let´s see if they get the Ostkreuz-extension some further to realization. At least it´s not forbidden anymore to talk about some more U-Bahnstations. There is nothing new to say, albeit that estimated costs are about 100-140 Mill. Euro. This is probably more than needed, but better to Keep the costs than double them or more like BER.

Notable Statement from Berlin finance-council is, that they agree with the demand of new cars for metro-fleet. Those are badly needed as Substitute for old ones before any extensions.

Kind regards and happy new year
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #984
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Aren't BVG fares too low, in your opinion, tunnel owl?
Old January 6th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #985
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 525

How much actually do you have to pay for rides in Berlin?

Did I understand it correctly from the BVG homepage (after I searched like 5 minutes for the ticket prices)?:
1 short ride (4 S- and U-Bahn stations or 6 tram stations) - 1.60EUR
1 ride (AB zone) - 2.70EUR
1 day (AB zone) - 6.90EUR
7 days (AB zone) - 29.50EUR

I know it would be pointless to compare fares between Berlin (a almost 3.5 million city) with Riga (a almost 1 million city) but just FYI:
1 ride - 0.60EUR (or 1.20EUR if bought in the vehicle)
24 hours, unlimited rides - 2.50EUR
5 days, one route, unlimited rides - 5.00EUR
5 days, all routes, unlimited rides - 8.00EUR
one month, working days only, one route, unlimited rides - 20.00EUR,
one month, all days, one route, unlimited rides - 25.00EUR,
one month, working days only, all routes, unlimited rides - 30.00EUR,
one month, all, days, all routes, unlimited rides - 40.00EUR,
50% discount for full-time students and parents of large families,
Free rides for - handicapped people (and one accompanying person), pensioners and pupils.
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #986
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Aren't BVG fares too low, in your opinion, tunnel owl?
No, I don´t think 2,70 Euros is too low. Still there is the opportunity to get 4 rides for 9 Euros, btw. Basically it´s not the fares about to complain. In earlier times fares had been far to low, compared with other german cities. Meanwhile Berlin seems to have a top-position regarding this.

In general public-transport in Germany is not beneficial and still there has to be paid something from county or city. That´s what I meant, what is to talk about if it comes to new trains.
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #987
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
No, I don´t think 2,70 Euros is too low. Still there is the opportunity to get 4 rides for 9 Euros, btw. Basically it´s not the fares about to complain. In earlier times fares had been far to low, compared with other german cities. Meanwhile Berlin seems to have a top-position regarding this.

In general public-transport in Germany is not beneficial and still there has to be paid something from county or city. That´s what I meant, what is to talk about if it comes to new trains.
I'm not thinking in terms of single-ride tickets, but passes and subscriptions.

Paulo Magalhães liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #988
tunnel owl

Quote:
I'm not thinking in terms of single-ride tickets, but passes and subscriptions.
What do you mean with passes and subscriptions? Daily and monthly passes?
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #989
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
What do you mean with passes and subscriptions? Daily and monthly passes?
Yes. GVB weekly and monthly passes are rather cheap. Maybe if they cost more, GVB would have more money to build more U-Bahn, like extending U5 to Moabit, extending U1 to Halensee etc.
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #990
tunnel owl

Quote:
Yes. GVB weekly and monthly passes are rather cheap. Maybe if they cost more, GVB would have more money to build more U-Bahn, like extending U5 to Moabit, extending U1 to Halensee etc.
Yes, they are cheap. That´s the strategy as many Berliners are not very rich (in german terms) and have to use public transport. Making those passes more expensive would not make more U-Bahn extensions possible, I´m sure. Furthermore BVG is more an authority than a company. It´s based on wealthfare principles and is not allowed to take part at competitions for example. It has a direct contract with Berlin like other european cities do with their public transport in accordance with EU-law 1370.

At the moment projects/investments are only possible with federal founds, still they give you up to 80% of the money (20% from this has to come from county). The fares in Germany have to meet the amount of money spended for operation (maintainance, stuff). Last year BVG managed to do this without a loss of money and even a small profit. This calculation does not include new trains, extensions, investments etc.
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #991
Suburbanist
on the road

Is there some easy to check database of ridership on different U-Bahn and S-Bahn lines (and maybe metro tram lines) in Berlin?
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #992
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

I've been in Berlin recently and have a number of videos from the city showcasing its public transport system.

Firstly, on the day of arrival it was very late, so I took some basic videos from the Hauptbahnhof and surroundings.

Departure of an S-bahn train at night from Hauptbahnhof.

Hauptbahnhof ICE3 and S-bahn arrival.

Walking from the Hauptbahnhof to the U55 station.

U55 train arrives at Hauptbahnhof station.

U55 train departure.

U-bahn station Bundestag entrance to platform level.

Finally - a short ride on the U55 between Bundestag and Hauptbahnhof to give an impression of the trains, the ride quality and the announcements used.

Plenty of photos to come as well.
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #993
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Some pictures of some U-bahn stations on the U55 (to be linked up to the U5).

Hauptbahnhof station.

Automatic ticketing machines. These were quite easy to use.

Old January 17th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #994
tunnel owl

Quote:
Is there some easy to check database of ridership on different U-Bahn and S-Bahn lines (and maybe metro tram lines) in Berlin?
No. there is no official statistic to be found in the net. Basically BVG counts passengers boarding and leaving. Meanwhile all U-Bahn-trains will get infrared-counters at doors. As long as this is not complete, there are counting-trains, easily spotable with the marked Z for Zählzug at the drivers door. I prefer counting the average daily traffic in both directions between two stations. The number of whole passengers on line doesn´t give you any clue about capacity. For U-Bahn the most traffic is at U9 between Hansaplatz-Spichernstraße and U5 between Lichtenberg and Alexanderplatz with 80.000-85.000 per day between 2 stations in both directions. U7 Neukölln to Berliner Straße and U6 Mehringdamm to Kurt-Schumacher-Platz with about 75.000. Small-profil is some lower, with exception of U2 between Alexanderplatz and Zoologischer Garten.

Tram no.1 is M4 with 50.000 between Alex and Weissensee, also between every two stations and both directions daily traffic.

As it was asked before accuracy is 97,5% per contract. This seems to be international standard as I heard Warsaw-metro e.g. does the same. BVG-U-Bahn kept this overall in 2014, but reliability of trains is a problem meanwhile (to old).

In terms of passenger/km Berlin U-Bahn ranks second in Germany after Munich, before Nuremberg and Hamburg. Vienna has about the same as Berlin with half of the network-size, but passengers numbers of Berlin grow steadily, exceeding the 500 Millions/a to join the COMET-club of world metros. During the crisis of 2000 to 2005 ridership was significantly lower than today.

lechevallierpatrick, Svartmetall liked this post
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #995
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

I was actually really impressed with the Berlin U-bahn, though it was very quiet when I used it last due to it being Christmas eve...
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #996
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Some more footage of Berlin public transport that I captured whilst in Berlin on Christmas eve 2014.

Firstly, a really swish-looking DB Regio train (is that a flirt?) at Hauptbahnhof and the arrival of an S-bahn train.

Journey between Hauptbahnhof and Alexanderplatz through an unfortunately rainy window from the S-bahn.

Two S-bahn departures from Alexanderplatz as well as a look at the platforms.

One of the new multi-segmented Bombardier Flexity Trams (I think) outside Alexanderplatz. Can someone correct me on that?

A tour of Alexanderplatz U-bahn station showing all lines (U5, U8 and U2).

Old G class train on U2 service at Alexanderplatz.

Potsdamer Platz U-bahn station with G class rolling stock. Also a walk to the entrance of the station.

More impressions of Berlin to come.
Old January 18th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #997
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Firstly, a really swish-looking DB Regio train (is that a flirt?)
That should be a Talent 2 (aka "hamster cheeks")

Svartmetall, Wilhem275 liked this post
Maadeuurija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #998
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Cheers for that! I wondered what it was, and so many trains look the same these days unless you see their face.
Old January 18th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #999
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

It is: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Talent_2

It's registered as BR 442 and I find it a very good train. In NRW they packed too many seats inside, but in Berlin they are just fine.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Svartmetall liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #1000
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Perfect, thanks. They look to be really nice trains. Now DB have to look at replacing rolling stock on the S-bahn in Berlin. They were looking a bit tired in places...

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn