daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:09 AM   #1081
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

FNP 1984 may as well have been the direct consequence of the S-Bahn takeover and therefore symptomatic of the contemporary zeitgeist. They wanted to demolish the Dresdner Bahn inside the Ringbahn and build a road in its place, though only after reconstruction of the Cherusker-Kurve. And building a stubend to Gleisdreieck, though this could've been some very clever foresight for a S21 scheme as we know it today. The 1980s were a period of normalization on both sides. The GDR buried a statue of Old Fritz when it was young and put it back in place when it became sclerotic and in need of Old Fritz.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI P7 mini mit Tapatalk
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #1082
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

Berlin Line U5 tunnelling complete
Monday, October 19, 2015

TUNNELLING has been completed on the project to connect Line U5 with Line U55 on the Berlin U-Bahn by constructing a 2.2km underground link from Alexanderplatz to Brandenburg Gate beneath the historic heart of the German capital

"It is a great day for the BVG," said Dr Sigrid Nikutta, chair of the management board of Berlin Transport Authority (BVG). "The U5 gap closure project is on budget and on time."

Work on the 10-year €525m project began in April 2010 and is now at the halfway point. According to Mr Stefan Roth from the construction company Implenia, the second tunnel was bored at an average of 11m per day, rising to 28m per day under the best conditions, and without any accidents

Wilhem275 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #1083
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

How long will it take to finish the tunnel and install the infrastructure before dynamic tests begin?
Old October 19th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #1084
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

If it took 10 years, and they are 'halfway' it will be soon finished... just 10 more years!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #1085
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It only took five so 2020 if all goes according to the plan.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #1086
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I know there are delays and some of them for reasons entirely unrelated to construction or engineering. However, one a tunnel had been fully bored, absent some financial contingency there shouldn't be much more additional delays
Old October 20th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #1087
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

I see from the VBB map that RE trains are diverted from the Stadtbahn for major track rebuilding works.

Is this a complete closure or just some IC/ICE trains can run?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #1088
gam241010

Likes (Received): 6

In Berlin every project took a lot of time and money. The best known example is the airport. This is because of political corruption and mismanagment.
gam241010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:02 AM   #1089
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I see from the VBB map that RE trains are diverted from the Stadtbahn for major track rebuilding works.

I was in Berlin 9-12 October and there were some parts around (I think) Friedrichstrasse station where there was no track at all except for the S-Bahn lines. In my limited time using the S-Bahn I never saw any ICE, IC, RE or RB trains using the stretch between Zoo & Alexanderplatz.

I did see an ICE train leave Berlin HBF (tief) for Düsseldorf but this headed north on the line to Gesundbrunnen. I have no idea whether this is normal or not.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 12:27 PM   #1090
vandiss

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:

It's a complete closure, although note that some RE trains run from Spandau to Zoologischer Garten.

Normal service should resume from 1st November.

Can't wait!
vandiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 02:41 PM   #1091
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Oh, good, I think I'll visit in December, so I will see the brand new Stadtbahn
But the report of VBB said it will go on into December, I hope they'll be quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
I did see an ICE train leave Berlin HBF (tief) for Düsseldorf but this headed north on the line to Gesundbrunnen. I have no idea whether this is normal or not.
Usually the couple of ICEs to NRW (which separate in Hamm) departed from Ostbahnhof and used the Stadtbahn, then called at Spandau and proceeded towards Hannover.
Anyway, not a big deal to use the tunnel, it will take them to Spandau as well. Ostbahnhof is out of the game but probably they will begin their travel in Suedkreuz.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old October 21st, 2015, 03:06 PM   #1092
vandiss

To clarify my last post, according to the VBB, a limited regional and long-distance service should resume on the Stadtbahn from 1st Nov.

There is an additional contingency for work completion and full service will return on 23rd November latest.

So December should hopefully be clear.
Old October 21st, 2015, 04:50 PM   #1093
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Thank you, I probably read an initial report.

Did these works include fixing the Hbf weak pillars on Humboldthafen?

Old October 21st, 2015, 05:40 PM   #1094
vandiss

Quote:
Did these works include fixing the Hbf weak pillars on Humboldthafen?
Unfortunately not, as detailed here.

Looks like the bridge correction work has been delayed until a satisfactory solution can be found (possible as far away as 2020!). In the meantime, trains must cross the bridge at a reduced speed.

At least the planned 3-month closure of the Stadtbahn section of the S-Bahn next year has also been shelved.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #1095
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Usually the couple of ICEs to NRW (which separate in Hamm) departed from Ostbahnhof and used the Stadtbahn, then called at Spandau and proceeded towards Hannover.
Anyway, not a big deal to use the tunnel, it will take them to Spandau as well. Ostbahnhof is out of the game but probably they will begin their travel in Suedkreuz.
If you want to take pictures of ICEs on the Stadtbahn, better not delay your trip too long. DB considers the Stadtbahn overcrowded, so it has the long-term aim to push all long-distance trains into the underground, reserving the Stadtbahn exclusively for RB and RE. As of the change in schedule in mid-December, ICEs to Hanover-Düsseldorf/Cologne will depart from the underground level of Hbf permanently. ICEs to Brunswick as well as ICs to Hanover will continue to use the Stadtbahn for the moment.
The benefit of using the north-south rails to Spandau is of course it saves 5 minutes. The downside is that trains then can no longer stop in the east of the city (Ostbahnhof).
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #1096
Knuddel Knutsch

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
If you want to take pictures of ICEs on the Stadtbahn, better not delay your trip too long. DB considers the Stadtbahn overcrowded, so it has the long-term aim to push all long-distance trains into the underground, reserving the Stadtbahn exclusively for RB and RE. As of the change in schedule in mid-December, ICEs to Hanover-Düsseldorf/Cologne will depart from the underground level of Hbf permanently. ICEs to Brunswick as well as ICs to Hanover will continue to use the Stadtbahn for the moment.
The benefit of using the north-south rails to Spandau is of course it saves 5 minutes. The downside is that trains then can no longer stop in the east of the city (Ostbahnhof).
Will those trains then go to suedkreuz instead of Ostbahnhof?
Acutally, its always good to have more than 1 station in the city area, where you can enter the train.
Old October 25th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #1097
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

No. As far as I can see from checking the future schedule, with few exceptions, they will all first call at Gesundbrunnen, then at Berlin Hbf tief, where they must reverse direction. It is to my knowledge a new route, but Gesundbrunnen can be convenient, besides eastern Wedding and Reinickendorf, to travelers from Pankow, northern Prenzlauer Berg, and Weissensee, who all have fairly long and complicated routes to Hbf, but are well-connected to Gesundbrunnen.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #1098
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Ostbahnhof was always a "meh" solution... yes it's in the East, but not connected to anything relevant, in the end you had to reach it with the same S-Bahn going to Hbf as well.
Warschauer Str. is much better connected, or Ostkreuz, but they were never meant to become full stations.

Südkreuz is probably avoided because reaching it from Rummelsburg requires a painfully long detour and still, all in all, it's less connected than Gesundbrunnen.
With this new solution there are some disadvantages but overall I don't think it's a bad outcome.

If you ask me what the southern half of the city is really missing, my answer is S21.
I think right now the N-S tunnel is poorly served by Regio trains and a "fake" S21 like in 2006 would be a good filler. In a longer terms, with the actual S21 tunnel built, then there would be S lines both from the South branches and from the south-eastern part of the Ring (serving Neukölln).
Right now reaching Hbf from South is quite a pain in the arse... taking all FV trains to Südkreuz would have relieved this, but it's not so easy to put in practice.

The mainline tracks between Wedding and Gesundbrunner will become quite crowded!

Old November 18th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #1099
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

Taken from German transport thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuddel Knutsch View Post
http://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/berli...strassenbahnen

Berlin is buying new Subway trains and Trams for 3,1 billion €. Delivery starts in 2020

The article also says that right now, 1/3 of the rolling stock right now is far beyond their economic lifespan and literarally scrap

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 12:37 PM   #1100
nomnolence

Likes (Received): 19

LSE Cities has put together this transport infrastrcuture map of Berlin as part of the Urban Age project. Any suggests/corrections welcome:

https://urbanage.lsecities.net/data/...obility-berlin

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
nomnolence no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn