daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2015, 02:30 PM   #1121
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 809

Its not realtime.
They do not pull the data from some kind of GPS transmitter.
Instead they use the available delay data. These can be off by 1 or 2 minutes.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2015, 03:23 PM   #1122
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

It looks really good. I hope this is better than the previous systems at bus and tram stops. I remember some people referring to the minutes until next departure indicated there as "BVG time", i.e. a different mode from standard 60 second-minutes. Some minutes would grow incredibly long (close to 120 seconds), then an approaching metro would all of a sudden jump back from say "6 minutes until departure" to 7 minutes, etc. A more accurate system would be useful, and especially a system that can show S-Bahn, regional trains, busses etc. on one screen. So far I have only seen that at the S-Bahn ticket counter in Hauptbahnhof.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #1123
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Berlin, 1990. After the militarized border had been abandoned, but before the formal reunification of the city

Old January 10th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #1124
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

I was watching similar videos a couple of days ago. Those are just golden.

Klausenburg liked this post
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #1125
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3891

www.urbanrail.net has a very interesting map of how Berlin's divided network looked like in 1961, just after the wall was built:

http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/de/b/berlin-map-1961.gif

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:55 AM   #1126
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

^ Interesting map. The western lines crossing the eastern sector passed through a couple of 'ghost stations' (which aren't shown on the map) that were closed off and guarded. Part of Friedrichstraße was basically a western station where West Berliners could change trains without having to pass border checks.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #1127
BlackArt-ist

Likes (Received): 2748

Looking at this map I can't help wondering: did some East berliners try to flee using secret subterranean access to Friedrichstraße?
BlackArt-ist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 05:17 AM   #1128
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

They tried to flee using any hole left open...

If I'm not mistaken, there's a story of a family which fled using a service tunnel in the Alexanderplatz area, between U2 (in regular eastern service) and U8 (in western service crossing under the eastern sector).

I knew about the Düppel extension, but I didn't know the S-Bahn reached Staaken.
I found this list of former S-Bahn stretches: http://www.stillgelegte-s-bahn.de/index.htm

Apropos, any news about Falkensee?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #1129
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

I remember watching a documentary detailing various escapes, and one being about a family that flagged down a west german train late at night, the conductor helped them onto the train, and they pretended to be west german passengers while passing by the guarded "ghost stations" until they reached West Germany again.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 05:30 AM   #1130
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Some German articles about that escape:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waisentunnel
http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/archi...,10225740.html

The quite complicated underground network of the area:

They got into Klosterstr. station (U2 Ost), then entered Klostertunnel first and then Waisertunnel (they meet under Grunerstr.); then walked all the way to the U8 tunnel and stopped a passing train.

From the Wiki article:
Quote:
Im November 2015 kam es durch Baggerarbeiten für einen Hotelneubau der Motel-One-Kette zu Senkungen am Tunnel der U2 sowie des Waisen- und Klostertunnels. Die Tunnel sackten teilweise um bis zu sechs Zentimeter ab und dürfen aktuell nur mit 15 km/h befahren werden.[1]
What I understand: in November 2015 there was a sinking up to 6 cm of the U2 tunnel, Waisentunnel and Klostertunnel, due to some excavation works for the building of a new hotel, and at the moment they allow trains at max 15 km/h.

Is this in effect also for U2? That poor line seems to be put in constant danger by any building work performed around it... (see Leipziger Platz).

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; January 11th, 2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:41 PM   #1131
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I remember watching a documentary detailing various escapes, and one being about a family that flagged down a west german train late at night, the conductor helped them onto the train, and they pretended to be west german passengers while passing by the guarded "ghost stations" until they reached West Germany again.
It´s all correct besides the fact that they pretended to be west-german. It was the family of a east-german signal-worker who had special access and knowledge about the transit-lines. This action was kept secret from east and west until 1989, after he flew he worked as signal-worker at western BVG until he retired in the unified BVG in the 2000s (I suppose). The whole operation-sheme and security on those transit-lines U6 and U8 is very complex and described in two books about U6 and U8 (in german).

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #1132
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Is this in effect also for U2? That poor line seems to be put in constant danger by any building work performed around it... (see Leipziger Platz).
Yes, at the moment Speed is reduced to 25 km/h whereas due to sharp curves normal speed there is 30 km/h anyway. This line really often is in danger because it was built mainly without reinforced concrete 100 years ago.

Kind regards

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old January 11th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #1133
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArt-ist View Post
Looking at this map I can't help wondering: did some East berliners try to flee using secret subterranean access to Friedrichstraße?
No. Friedrichstraße was used as exchange-Point for spies, news etc. by secret-police. It was impossible for private persons to flew because no one really knew the complex labyrinth inside this station, separating Transit passengers from visitors and returners. As a passenger I remember this and I was astonished about the clear layout of the station, as they took all those rooms and floors away, creating a wide space.

Almost unknown is the fact that until 1966 east-german transport-workers had a facility at Friedrichstraße U-Bahn, in which they stored material for track-maintainance. They were allowed to pass controls and beeing on the U-Bahn platform, so they could catch a train going to West-Berlin, which they did to go for a shopping often. Surprisingly no one ever flew and after this lack of security was evident they had to move to Friedrichsfelde during one week.

Kind regards
Old January 14th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #1134
vandiss

Likes (Received): 16

Here's a link to a photo library on the Tagesspiegel containing images of various Berlin train stations just after the fall of the wall.

Interesting trying to work out where they were taken....

Link here

Old January 14th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #1135
vandiss

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Apropos, any news about Falkensee?
There was an interview with a DB administrator in Berliner Zeitung a few days ago which says that the Falkensee s-bahn extension is "very important".

However, the town's commuters currently seem happier being able to catch a Regional train direct to Berlin in 20 minutes rather than sitting on an S-Bahn train following the same route for 45 minutes!

Obviously, the commuter could change from S-Bahn to Regional at Spandau, if there was an agreeable connection time, but then they are at the mercy of timetables/delays etc.
vandiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #1136
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 809

Quote:
This action was kept secret from east and west until 1989, after he flew he worked as signal-worker at western BVG until he retired in the unified BVG in the 2000s (I suppose).
During the escape he manipulated a signal between Jannowitzbrücke and Heinrich Heine Str. (the Waisentunnel merges with Line U8 between those two stations). That way he managed to get a West Berlin U-Bahn train stopped. The conductor let them board and ordered them to lie on the floor. The boarding happened in the tunnel, therefore, the East German border guards did not took any notice.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #1137
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Well, Falkensee itself would have no problems, since it would keep the RE stop (being an S-Bahn terminus).

The issue is only for the two middle station, which enjoy a 30' frequency today; with a 20' frequency they'd get -5' on average waiting times but +20' travel time.
I guess the intention is to build more local stops on the S-Bahn.

EDIT: unless the idea is to have a 10' frequency on the S-Bahn. In that case the average waiting time drops from 15' to 5' and it's much more interesting for the intermediate stations.

EDIT2: and wait, the travel times the claimed are not true. Spandau - Alex is 20' by RE and 34' by S-Bahn. The travel time between Falkensee and Spandau would be the same.

Let's calculate it better. Falkensee - Alex:
- RE 27'
- RB 38'
- S-Bahn hypothesis: 7' Falkensee - Spandau + 34' Spandau - Alex = 41'

The RE would stop there anyway, so: no loss for Falkensee.
RB vs. S: +3' of travel times, but 5-10' less waiting.

It's a win even with a 20' frequency...

Urbanus, tunnel owl liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; January 14th, 2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #1138
Urbanus

Likes (Received): 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiss View Post
There was an interview with a DB administrator in Berliner Zeitung a few days ago which says that the Falkensee s-bahn extension is "very important".

However, the town's commuters currently seem happier being able to catch a Regional train direct to Berlin in 20 minutes rather than sitting on an S-Bahn train following the same route for 45 minutes!
But isn't the frequency of the regional trains really low?

Of course the commuters will rather get faster to town, but they might change their mind when they experience the flexibility and freedom of a S-Bahn with a 10-20 minuttes headway.

tunnel owl liked this post
Urbanus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #1139
Minato ku

Do you know how many passengers use regional trains every day in Berlin metro area?
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #1140
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanus View Post
But isn't the frequency of the regional trains really low?

Of course the commuters will rather get faster to town, but they might change their mind when they experience the flexibility and freedom of a S-Bahn with a 10-20 minuttes headway.
Sorry, I edited my last post after you wrote. In one word: travel with regional trains is not so much faster as they claim

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn