daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #1161
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Ah, thanks. 4-car trains make more sense.

Still, having just two car trains seems a bit odd. This gives me the idea that SB-B are planning to use those to strengthen rush-hour services, and leave them otherwise idling in a yard?
Odd anyway: in rush hour the standard should be 8 cars, at least on main branches.
6 cars trains are a common sight, coupled < < >. I understand their management is more complicated, involving the direction of materials, but it's been everyday business for decades.

These operations would be just the same, even if the 4-car is to become the base unit.

For the sake of curiosity, in Berlin's system the train lenght is usually reported by the number of axles, not cars. The stopping point in stations is signalled with an H sign plus "24x" for 6-cars, for example. I don't remember if there are "16x" signs.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; January 29th, 2016 at 01:47 AM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #1162
y0sh

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Ah, thanks. 4-car trains make more sense.

Still, having just two car trains seems a bit odd. This gives me the idea that SB-B are planning to use those to strengthen rush-hour services, and leave them otherwise idling in a yard?
They usually use 6-car trains on the "Ringbahn" (circle line), maybe that's why. Longer trains are probably not needed as they run every 5 minute during rush hours.
y0sh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #1163
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
I like the design, inside and outside. However, the length confuses me a bit. Is demand on SB-B low enough for just two car units (running in multiple) to suffice? All those intermediate cabs seem like a waste of space and money to me...

If I look at suburban networks of other cities, I mostly see 4-car units running in multiple, or even longer single units. London Overground recently had their 378's lengthened to 5 cars, and the commuter railroads around London (such as South West Trains and Thameslink) run in 10- or even 12 car compositions throughout the day. The new Thameslink trains (Class 700) only come in 8 car and 12 car compositions.

Also: without any interior gangways between the units I can imagine this does not help with passenger distribution. Wouldn't a walk-through design such as on the Typ H trains found on the U-Bahn be better to help distribute passengers across the train?
I agree with your points. Maybe they wanted to go for "maximum flexibility" regarding composition assembly? But it still looks a loss of both space and passenger distribution possibilities.
Old January 30th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #1164
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

As previously said, there's nothing wrong with using 6-car trains sometimes because the frequency is good enough. Very often on the Ringbahn I take 6-car trains and it's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The stopping point in stations is signalled with an H sign plus "24x" for 6-cars, for example. I don't remember if there are "16x" signs.
There aren't.

Wilhem275 liked this post
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #1165
vandiss

Likes (Received): 16

There was a meeting in Falkensee on Monday where DB outlined their "concept" of how the "Express S-Bahn" between Nauen and the Berlin Stadtbahn could function.

Here's a link to a Facebook image gallery - in some of the images you can read some of the slides from the presentation...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7397823&type=3

Obviously this was only a presentation to try and generate support for the idea. Will be interesting to see what happens from here on...

Last edited by vandiss; March 17th, 2016 at 06:09 PM.
vandiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #1166
Wilhem275
The Transporter

They introduced the "Express S-Bahn", sounds a bit weird but it can work (as long as timetables are respected, otherwise it's a disaster).

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old March 18th, 2016, 02:59 AM   #1167
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Are U-55 works on schedule to open as planned?
Old March 18th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #1168
lechevallierpatrick

Likes (Received): 94

Guten Tag!I would like to know if the 3 Tramlinien that stop at Hauptbahnhof carry 20 000 passengers daily as expected....Thank U-Danke
lechevallierpatrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #1169
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
They introduced the "Express S-Bahn", sounds a bit weird but it can work (as long as timetables are respected, otherwise it's a disaster).
I wouldn't call it an introduction when it is a proposal which has merely been revealed. It is an idea which has many flaws and it is aiming for widening the business area of the S-Bahn operator rather than providing a real value to the people.
Old March 19th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #1170
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

I'm afraid I'm still not sold on the front of the new S-bahn rolling stock. I think they'll look okay, but I am not excited about them. The current newest stock look like excellent trains, though. It's only a shame the graffiti vandals have had their way with the trains interiors as otherwise they'd be very nice sets.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 05:48 AM   #1171
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the front of the Stadler/Siemens train looks really cool and futuristic?
You're not alone
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #1172
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

I like the front but it would look better without the glass on the front sides:

Old March 20th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #1173
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Not sure if that's glass or just black paint. Windows would be acceptable, but the all-around black stripe looks dumb.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #1174
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Is this actually one (extremely long) car train of 15 doors, as the image suggests? I think it might have a problem negotiating the curves.

Last edited by Antje; March 21st, 2016 at 12:21 AM.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:04 AM   #1175
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

^ Yes, they are re-arranging the tracks currently to remove all the curves (typical case of mismanagement in Berlin).

Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:13 AM   #1176
Wilhem275
The Transporter

LOL

Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:12 PM   #1177
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post
I like the front but it would look better without the glass on the front sides:

Wow, that looks absolutely terrible.

Doesn't a flat front end like that also affect aerodynamics? I realize S-Bahn doesn't go that fast, but wouldn't a design like that increase power consumption?

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:14 PM   #1178
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Are U-55 works on schedule to open as planned?
You mean U5.

Last I heard 2019 was the expected opening.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:55 PM   #1179
Wilhem275
The Transporter

S-Bahn in Berlin barely passes 80 km/h, the impact of aerodynamic drag is almost negligible. It begins to be relevant from 100 km/h.

A flat end allows to spare a lot of internal space, which is much more important in this context.

Deadeye Reloaded, Lw25 liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:07 PM   #1180
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

This
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn