daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2016, 08:59 AM   #1221
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Imho, what they did with the original livery of ET270. later BR 485 was the best compromise ever: red and anthrazith would push the S-Bahn into 21th century instead of red and beige (or whatever this is called).

The actual colours dating back from the 1920s never catch up with modern public-transport design. It´s so easy to create better solutions if you look at BVGs yellow, which changed over the last decades but still is yellow.

Last but not least the historic context of the actual colour is also peculiar. Green or red/beige was the colour for compartment classes of the Deutsche Reichsbahn in general. It was never designed especially for Berlin S-Bahn. That´s what the public did, as the old Trains ran for seven decades with this old design.

Wilhem275 liked this post
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #1222
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Please, that yellow (actually ochre) - red color scheme is almost one hundred years old (applied since 1928). I see no reason to change a traditional color scheme just because some designers think a new train would look better with some other colors.

1927 Berlin S-Bahn ET 165 - Verkehrszentrum München [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], von User:Mattes (Eigenes Werk), vom Wikimedia Commons
Old October 6th, 2016, 10:25 PM   #1223
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I'd like for these trains to have side LED panels that broadcast ads and also some other. Maybe something that allows passengers to interact?
Old October 6th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #1224
metr0p0litain

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post
It's potentially not a bad-looking train!
You've convinced me!
Old October 6th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #1225
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Please, that yellow (actually ochre) - red color scheme is almost one hundred years old (applied since 1928). I see no reason to change a traditional color scheme just because some designers think a new train would look better with some other colors.
For sure I'm not a designer I'm just a user and a supporter, and I still think that this paintjob made its time. It already did by the time all the current fleet was proposed...

Design evolves, and paintjobs should evolve accordingly. It's not a "one fits all" feature, the paintjob MUST follow the main lines of the object. This one is two given color, applied randomly.
If it was a matter of tradition, then the general design of the train should resemble the ET 165, with thin vertical windows and round headlights. It's not even close (luckily), so I don't get the reason to claim "traditions" only for a part of the design, while letting the rest go on its own.
The TEE livery was and still is very elegant, applied to the right trains. Imagine how crappy it would look if applied to an ICE3 today...

Frankly, I think it's a passionate matter just for railfans who like historical trains, while in real life this stuff looks completely outdated to those which public transport should try to attract (especially to young people).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Svartmetall, Autostädter liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #1226
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
It's not a "one fits all" feature, the paintjob MUST follow the main lines of the object.
Exactly. A 1920s livery looks ridiculous on a modern train, just as the other way round, a modern livery looks ridiculous on a historical train. The traditional livery still looks perfect for the classic EMUs. If it weren't so, why don't we still see all-green carriages and black locomotives with red wheels? Design and taste changes over time and that's a good thing. I think the "issue" is that the 1930s EMUs featuring the old livery have been around such a long time so that some people think they cant't live without them. Also, the colours actually don't look that bad on the current fleet.

Svartmetall, metr0p0litain liked this post
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:51 AM   #1227
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

There's also the matter of "brand identity". When people go to London, they expect the tube to be largely white with red ends and blue trim. When people go to Paris, they expect a light-blue/light-green body with white trim. People associate certain things very strongly.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #1228
tunnel owl

London and Paris are good examples. The tube was fitted with an aluminium-look for decades. What they do now is using a traditional colour combination without using exactly original colours. BTW never imagined a Sprague-Thomson Train looking light-blue, did they?

To make it complete: Due to a serious lack of U-Bahn-trains the historic D/DL-Train will be back in passenger-service. They painted it with actual yellow, which looks strange for this train, but we´ll see. D/DL will be in test-service on U9, later it will run on U55 until U5 opens.
Old October 7th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #1229
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

Two variants with the current look:

All I can say is that it is a big step backwards. The 481 looks waay better even though it's already over 20 years old.

Last edited by Autostädter; October 7th, 2016 at 09:43 AM.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #1230
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I like the paint schemes above, but it definitely is a throwback in appearance, and the previous cars were better looking.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 05:11 AM   #1231
MrNogatco
Urban Explorer

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I like the paint schemes above, but it definitely is a throwback in appearance, and the previous cars were better looking.

Absolutely agree. These new S-Bahn trains are aesthetically ugly. The last "real" S-Bahn trains are the 485 series built in the DDR in the 80s. The 480 and 481 are okay but already have a more lightweight look and feel (like the U-Bahn H & Hk trains). But this new train is horrible and a complete departure from the aesthetic template that has been carried over to the newer trains since the 1920s.

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
MrNogatco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #1232
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Man, you liked my avatar?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #1233
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post

To make it complete: Due to a serious lack of U-Bahn-trains the historic D/DL-Train will be back in passenger-service. They painted it with actual yellow, which looks strange for this train, but we´ll see. D/DL will be in test-service on U9, later it will run on U55 until U5 opens.
That's great. When will they be returned from Pyongyang?

whatsuplucas, Lw25 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 09:16 PM   #1234
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

BVG approves €3.1bn fleet renewal programme
Tuesday, November 01, 2016

A plan to invest around €3.1bn in the modernisation of Berlin’s U-Bahn and tram fleets by 2035 was approved by the supervisory board of Berlin Transport (BVG) on November 1

In the first phase of the programme, BVG will procure at least 182 small-profile and 264 large-profile U-Bahn cars and a minimum of 80 bidirectional low-floor LRVs of varying lengths

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #1235
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Here is an article from earlier this month explaining the plan to run 1950s-era trains on U55 beginning next spring:

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/...trains/506450/

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #1236
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
That's great. When will they be returned from Pyongyang?
It depends on the question which pictures instead of the big leader will be shown inside the car, probably Merkel and the CEO of BVG

The first double of D-trains is already allowed for service whereas the second double (DL) will be there in the end of November. It is planned to run them as additional service between Hönow and Frankfurter Allee on U5 for training personal until February 2017. At this date they should be put into U55.

This is a sad thing, due to lack of money in Berlin the U-Bahn didn´t get enough new trains. Next year 44 new cars for small-profile will arrive in service on big profile where the demand is higher. It´s like during the world-crisis in 1929 or after 2.WW as they did this change bertween small and big profile due to serious demand for cars. The G-type trains of East-berlin have been running in Athenes between 1982 and 1985 with the same equipment (having side-boards to filll the gap between platform and train).

At least next year there will be put a bit for about 260 big-profile and 180 small-profile cars. In the end the order will be for about 800 new cars.

Calculate the bit will be succesful, so it´s 2018 to name the supplier and 2020 to have the first prototype. Means no real improvement until 2022, if everything will go well.
Old November 15th, 2016, 02:59 AM   #1237
Lw25

Likes (Received): 1263

They really want to use small profile trains on big profile lines? Wow. I knew that U-bahn rolling stock is old, but I didn't know it is that bad.
Maybe Berlin should consider buying an enourmous amount of angle grinders then scratch 3 cm on each side on one of a lines and then buy Series 81 from Warsaw. They are just 6 cm larger than the rest, not that old and Warsaw will probably sold them around 2019-2020.
Lw25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #1238
tunnel owl

Using small-profile trains on big Profile lines is not very new. Madrid did this for a certain period. Amsterdam does it and Berlin two times long ago in the past. Athenes and also Pyongyang used east Berlin G-type rolling stock
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #1239
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
Amsterdam does it[...]
But not for very long anymore, thank god. One of the biggest mistakes ever in the short history of this small network.
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #1240
MrNogatco
Urban Explorer

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Man, you liked my avatar?

Lol I've been using it for years. It's from a picture of an S-Bahn sign I downloaded.
MrNogatco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn