daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2016, 03:23 AM   #1281
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanus View Post
How about Uhlandsstrasse - Adenauerplatz - Westkreuz?
That is the western section of the Weissensee line. And it will be the last part of the line that will get built I suspect. The whole line will be built to the broader loading gauge standard. That does mean though that the Uhland stub, which is currently part of the U1, has to be converted from its current narrow loading gauge. This conversion makes it impracticable to extend the line beyond Uhlandstrasse before it has been turn over to the new U3.

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #1282
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Sorry, but at the moment no one knows at which loading-gauge a possible extension from Uhlandstraße would be built. And we even don´t know if it would be the western end of Weißensee-line. This was a plan from 1996, no one (beside us) remembers that.

Around 2001 an intern study was made for a small-profile extension to Adenauerplatz with results as follows:

1) The additional link in the U-Bahn-System would only be favorable for U7-users between Wilmersdorfer Straße and Fehrbelliner Platz. Changing at Bismarckstraße, Wittenbergplatz and Fehrbelliner PLatz is already possible and comfortable. One could imagine U1 end at Kurfürstendamm and it would make the same sense.

2) Substitution of bus-service would be nice, but only possible if the point to break bus-lines is at Halensee. This latter argument imho could have been worked out further, if a partial new bus-Network in this area would make sense to let U1 end at Adenauerplatz. But in fact, this extension is not necessary at the moment.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #1283
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

One place you haven't mentioned: Berlin U-Bahns are concentrated to the south of the city. To the north of the Stadtbahn, there are still wide swaths of the city where rail transport is far away. That is why there was this old plan to extend U5 westwards beyond Hauptbahnhof, via Turmstraße to Jungfernheide and Tegel Airport. Both the old senate and the new one now want to build trams on that route, which is I guess having a bird in hand rather than two in the bush, but the region could have done better.
To optimize the U1/2/3/4 lines, one would not need much. Most of them are interconnected at Wittenbergplatz, so we could have them operate for example Ruhleben-Warschauer Straße alternating with Uhlandstraße-Warschauer Straße, thus creating a direct East to West line across the city. With some mid-level reconstruction at Gleisdreieck, U4 could run on the grid northwards, so we could have besides a line Pankow-Krumme Lanke also Innsbrucker Platz-Pankow, so two lines connecting the Northwest with the Southeast.

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #1284
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
One place you haven't mentioned: Berlin U-Bahns are concentrated to the south of the city. To the north of the Stadtbahn, there are still wide swaths of the city where rail transport is far away. That is why there was this old plan to extend U5 westwards beyond Hauptbahnhof, via Turmstraße to Jungfernheide and Tegel Airport. Both the old senate and the new one now want to build trams on that route, which is I guess having a bird in hand rather than two in the bush, but the region could have done better.
ACK. As it was written several times before, all those small gaps in the network really look stupid at the map, but in fact it´s not that really urgent to do something. If we look at Berlin as a growing city, we have to come to the conclusion that there will be two areas with possible big changes: The area of TXL-airport and the area north of Weißensee. Both areals togehter could host about at least 150.000 inhabitants with very attractive small distance to the city. So, TXL would be U5-extension and Weißensee would be a new line, most likeley running to Alexanderplatz and Potsdamer Platz. Only U-Bahn or S-Bahn can put a city forward which has an estimated growth of at least 250.000 people over the next 15 years. Trams should substitute bus-lines and in some places go to new built housing-complexes. But the main task is to bring all those people in the Northwest and Northeast into the city at an attractive time.
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #1285
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

http://www.dw.com/en/the-quiet-hero-...atz/a-36881733
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ny-order-merit

I have been thinking since I read these news... nothing against poor Rudolf Breitscheid, but Łukasz-Urban-Platz would sound very good to me. Just a humble tribute (and the square already changed name several times...).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; December 25th, 2016 at 01:47 AM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #1286
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6751

A Polish guy about the public transport in Berlin:

Turn on the English subtitles.
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:45 AM   #1287
ikarus280

Likes (Received): 15

The RBB "Abendschau" reported that the tram extension/connection from Karl-Ziegler-Str. (Adlershof) to Schöneweide has basically gotten a go-ahead.

rbb-online.de/abendschau/archiv/20170117_1930/tram-verlaengerung-in-adlershof.html (in German and probably available for just one week)

Start of construction: 2018
Going into service: 2020

Maps can be found here:
stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/staedtebau/projekte/adlershof/de/projekte/tram.shtml
stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/verkehr/politik_planung/oepnv/planungen/de/tram60_61.shtml

Sorry, can't post clickable links yet.
Old February 8th, 2017, 01:33 AM   #1288

Likes (Received): 1

A closed tram depot in Berlin

I came across a video on You Tube, showing a tram doing a circuit of a Tram Depot (Betriebshof) called Schoneweide. Is this a film of a closed depot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JZ-5LK1T0

Have a look for yourself.
43106 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #1289
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

When will BVG adopt an electronic fare medium system?

Paper tickets become more and more and outdated oddity as times passes, soon it would be as lame as those lamp posts in need of removal/replacement.
Old February 8th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #1290
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43106 View Post
I came across a video on You Tube, showing a tram doing a circuit of a Tram Depot (Betriebshof) called Schoneweide. Is this a film of a closed depot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JZ-5LK1T0

Have a look for yourself.
The explanation is on the video's description: "Dieser Hof wird nur noch zum Abstellen nicht gebrauchter Fahrzeuge, In diesem Fall Beiwagen B6A2, und als Wendemöglichkeit bei Bauarbeiten und Havarien benutzt."

My German is not the strongest it's ever been, but I think it translates to something like this: "This depot is only used to store unused vehicles, in this case a B6A2, and as a turnaround in the events of road works or accidents."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
When will BVG adopt an electronic fare medium system?

Paper tickets become more and more and outdated oddity as times passes, soon it would be as lame as those lamp posts in need of removal/replacement.
It's about time... Carrying a paper monthly ticket feels very silly.
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 06:42 AM   #1291
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Hey, Philly still uses tokens and traditional hand-punched tickets for its system, and its doing quite well with them.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #1292
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4187

Are there any plans for expansion of the tram network? They fit into the streetscape well without the cost of subways.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #1293
themapguy
- www.travelario.com -

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsuplucas View Post
It's about time... Carrying a paper monthly ticket feels very silly.
Until 2019 they want to move everyone to e-tickets which can be used throughout Germany (best case scenario but potentially dangerous bec you can be tracked): https://www.golem.de/news/e-ticket-d...01-125444.html

Monthly tickets haven been plastic cards for a couple of years now.
ONGOING: Mapping all the locations of SSC and connecting them with the threads here (already finished: >2000).
NEW: Copy&Paste the URL of a SkyScraperCity thread into the map search field and directly see the location of this project.
themapguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #1294
themapguy
- www.travelario.com -

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
Are there any plans for expansion of the tram network? They fit into the streetscape well without the cost of subways.
Yes, there will be extensions of some lines as well as new lines, e.g. in the south east of Berlin. All projects of the current local government are listed here: http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.d...pnv/planungen/
ONGOING: Mapping all the locations of SSC and connecting them with the threads here (already finished: >2000).
NEW: Copy&Paste the URL of a SkyScraperCity thread into the map search field and directly see the location of this project.
themapguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #1295
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by themapguy View Post
(best case scenario but potentially dangerous bec you can be tracked)
Yeah, because the Germans were not freaking out enough with spying paranoia

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #1296
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

When German citizens start ditching smartphones altogether, I will give more credence to the anti-tracking arguments. Nothing tracks you more than an online smartphone.

Doubt what I'm saying? Check your Google Timeline (unless you disabled it): https://www.google.com/maps/timeline

MrNogatco liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #1297
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
The recently inaugurated municipal government is strongly in favour of the tram and is pushing for various extensions of its network. Yet, the very same administration is also quite incapable of organising efficient public services as well as getting projects done. So don't hold your breath.

Specific projects in the planning stage are only the Turmstrasse extension as well as the Ostkreuz loop as far as I know. A lot more are proposed though.
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #1298
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

I read the new Berlin government is rather fragile and could collapse.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #1299
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I read the new Berlin government is rather fragile and could collapse.
It could indeed. Yet, all parties involved in this coalition are eager to govern. Hence I expect all of them to hold on to power even if it hurts.
Old February 27th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #1300
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26108

From Metro Report

http://www.metro-report.com/news/new...ity-trams.html

Berlin orders more Flexity trams
27 Feb 2017

GERMANY: Berlin transport authority BVG has exercised the final option in its framework contract for Flexity Berlin trams, supplier Bombardier Transportation announced on February 27. The order for 21 trams is valued at €71m.

The 100% low-floor seven-section bidirectional trams will be 40 m long and will be equipped for regenerative braking

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

TM_Germany, Wilhem275 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn