daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #1301
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Does BVG consider the possibility of extending some platforms and making M1 and M4 60m-long trams?

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #1302
Darryl

Likes (Received): 119

updates on the U5 extension??? ...anyone?

I'm surprised to see so little on the U5 extension project combining it with the current U55. To me, that is a very exciting and important project. It connects the most central and important parts of Berlin and goes right underneath the famed Unter den Linden boulevard, yet there is practically no discussion of it found on skyscrapercity (especially in english). Even the german thread on it has not been updated since April 2016!!

Is there no interest here in this project?? I thought I could receive updates on its progress, discussion about the station's designs, photos, etc...

Can anyone help out an American who will be visiting Berlin this summer (in July) on what I might expect to see? Is Unter den Linden all torn up still with construction? Or is the boulevard back to normal on the street level, and the construction is happening underground? Are there any most recent updates on when it all might be finished and open?

Thanks!

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #1303
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

I feel like reporting on the U5 extension these days is like watching paint dry. I was there a couple weeks ago but didn't pay enough attention to Unter den Linden (I mostly skipped it, to be honest). However, I don't think there are many (if any) works going on at street level, but someone might be able to clarify this much better than I can.
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #1304
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

What do you expect, Darryl? The U5 runs in the underground where quite natural all the construction happen. There is very little to see for the public right now. If you want to see construction pregessing then you better watch the reconstruction of the Ostkreuz and Warschauer Str stations. There are plenty of forums threads on the internet discussing the construction works with almost daily photo updates.

mrsmartman liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #1305
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

When is U5 supposed to be finished again?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:56 AM   #1306
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

It is exciting to see U5 is reaching Berlin Hauptbahnhof. 1 km of metro in the city center is worth 2 km of metro in the suburbs.

Last edited by mrsmartman; March 15th, 2017 at 07:33 AM.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #1307
lechevallierpatrick

Likes (Received): 94

I think the U5 (or U55) is supposed to open in 2020....I also think that they have encountered many problems with infiltrating water especially under Unter den Linden....That's all I know....
lechevallierpatrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #1308
themapguy
- www.travelario.com -

Likes (Received): 797

Well in other countries you have workers putting a bazillion of Selfies on Instagram, exposing every little detail of the construction process for the public to see and share. That just doesn't happen in Germany though or very rarely. It is the same here as with the BER construction (compare that for example to projects in the Philippines, like the Mactan Cebu Airport or OKADA Manila > http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...73502&page=209). So we have to rely on what is visible from the outside, via project webcams or official press releases / websites. And that is often rather limited.

For the U5 the last update on the official website ( http://www.projekt-u5.de/en/construction-journal/ ) was... for Christmas 2016.
ONGOING: Mapping all the locations of SSC and connecting them with the threads here (already finished: >2000).
NEW: Copy&Paste the URL of a SkyScraperCity thread into the map search field and directly see the location of this project.

DanielFA liked this post
themapguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #1309
Darryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
What do you expect, Darryl? The U5 runs in the underground where quite natural all the construction happen. There is very little to see for the public right now. If you want to see construction pregessing then you better watch the reconstruction of the Ostkreuz and Warschauer Str stations. There are plenty of forums threads on the internet discussing the construction works with almost daily photo updates.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to get at regarding the street level comment. What I meant by that is: Are myself and my visitors going to be able to enjoy Unter den Linden as it is supposed to look or does a large part of the street still have construction equipment, big dirt holes, and fencing all over the place? In other words, I am actually hoping that the station entrances at street level are completed and the remaining construction is underground and out of the public's sight.

DanielFA liked this post

Last edited by Darryl; March 15th, 2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old March 16th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #1310
ikarus280

Likes (Received): 15

There is a guy/website that documents construction projects in public transport and one section is about the U5. Occasionally the galleries also contain "insider" photos.

baustellen-doku.info/berlin_erweiterung_u5/

There is also a thread in a public transport forum.

bahninfo-forum.de/read.php?9,466791,page=21

Both sites are in German, but maybe Google Translate can bring some sense into them. And with Google Chrome you can have entire pages translated very easily within the original page.

PS: Sorry, can't post clickable links yet.

DanielFA liked this post
ikarus280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #1311
themapguy
- www.travelario.com -

Likes (Received): 797

Well look at that. After I added the official project website to my tracker, today there is an update with photos from the underground: http://www.projekt-u5.de/en/construc...-three-levels/

Quote:
The shell of underground station unter den Linden is in the final phase. In summer 2017 the expansion will begin.

On the U5 level of the future crossroads the production of the sole is completed. On the intermediate level, which later serves as a distribution area, the future operating areas will be produced as part of masonry work. At the U6 level, residual work is performed without affecting the passage of the U6.

Before the removal of the subway station can start, the existing pillars must be replaced by the round pillars. The stiffening tubes can also be removed then.
ONGOING: Mapping all the locations of SSC and connecting them with the threads here (already finished: >2000).
NEW: Copy&Paste the URL of a SkyScraperCity thread into the map search field and directly see the location of this project.

arctic_carlos, DanielFA, Wilhem275 liked this post
themapguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 02:17 AM   #1312
Darryl

Thanks ikarus280 and themapguy for the links! They are helpful. My German is good enough that I can get the gist, I only use translators for specific passages I want clarification on sometimes.
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #1313
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

When they say "in summer 2017 the expansion will begin", are they talking about digging, or service, or what?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:54 AM   #1314
ikarus280

Likes (Received): 15

Probably laying the track and building the station interiors.

DanielFA liked this post
ikarus280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #1315
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarus280 View Post
Probably laying the track and building the station interiors.
The station-shell of Rotes Rathaus is complete, station-shell of Unter den Linden ist almost complete. next year they plan to open the construction-site for the public on one day in summer.

2017 is the start for laying tracks in the tunnels between Brandenburger Tor and Unter den Linden, including almost every other thing (signalisation, station-finish). The same is for Alexanderplatz and Rotes Rathaus section. Still missing is the finish of Museumsinsel. It will be proably the bottleneck in the timeline to get in service in 2020. They are working with frozen-ground and are still in preparation with that.

Not to forget that the existing U55 will have to be refiited for U5. The second track and signalisation plus siding-tracks at Hauptbahnhof have to be build or upgraded. The provisional depot at Hauptbahnhof has to be demolished for that. The nearest event will be the input of 4 vinatge D/DL-trains, refitted for service into U55 to replace the F-trains at thje 27.03.17.
Old March 18th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1316
whatsuplucas

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
The nearest event will be the input of 4 vinatge D/DL-trains, refitted for service into U55 to replace the F-trains at thje 27.03.17.
I wonder if they'll buy those back from Pyongyang...

Lw25 liked this post
whatsuplucas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 01:45 AM   #1317
frizzos

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsuplucas View Post
I wonder if they'll buy those back from Pyongyang...
Maybe these are the ones, Pyöngyang didn't want to buy, cause they were in such a bad state.
No - just kidding - They were kept for museum-purposes
frizzos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #1318
vandiss

Likes (Received): 16

The U5 and U55 tunnels are now connected...

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/ba.../19557344.html

Old March 24th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #1319
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

So now one can walk underground all the way from the Tierpark to Moabit

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

vandiss liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 03:19 AM   #1320
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1599

Berlin Hauptbahnof (Berlin Central Station) with incoming S-Bahn train:

S-Bahn at Hauptbahnhof Berlin [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Martin Falbisoner (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn