daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #121
chiccoplease

Likes (Received): 8

This is one sick article. Comparing a new railway station to Hitler's vision of the Third Reich! Disgusting.
chiccoplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #122
chiccoplease

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
I wonder if the light beams on top were only for the opening or if they will remain.

It was designed by architects from Hamburg (GMP), which is always a guarantee for a good deal of boredom in the design.

And the station will make taxi drivers happy because there's nothing around it and it doesn't even have a link with the subway network.
The governmental district seems to be very close to the station if you look at this map:

And according to this one the station is linked to the Stadbahn, S-Bahn and subway. Berlin is one of Germany's poorest, least prosperous cities which is also governed by communists. What else can it ask for?

chiccoplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #123
C-Beam
Trickficker

Likes (Received): 3394

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiccoplease
Comparing a new railway station to Hitler's vision of the Third Reich! Disgusting.
GRÖBAZ (größter Bahnhof aller Zeiten).
C-Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #124
micro

Likes (Received): 106

You're not quite precise with your facts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiccoplease
The governmental district seems to be very close to the station if you look at this map:
Yes, and how many people usually go to a governmental district? Only a few are working there.

Quote:
And according to this one the station is linked to the Stadbahn, S-Bahn and subway. Berlin is one of Germany's poorest, least prosperous cities which is also governed by communists. What else can it ask for?
The S-Bahn is stopping right in the station, that's true. The Stadtbahn IS the S-Bahn, by the way. At the end of 2006 the U55 subway will be opened, but that'll be only a useless three-station island line without any connection to the rest of the system before 2011.

Berlin is not a very prosperous city (although not the least prosperous), but Berlin's infrastructure and public facilities is among the very best in Germany.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #125
kota16

Likes (Received): 0

The Berlin Hauptbahnhof is an engineering masterpiece. I would love to visit it and take a train to Gare Du Nord in Paris.
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #126
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Sweet
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #127
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

nice
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #128
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

I'll be arriving into the station from Gdansk on the night train on the 1st of July. I cant wait!
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #129
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilenofuturista
now THIS is Germany to me. Bombastic, ultramodern, efficient, BIG, visionary and futuristic and just beautiful. In true german style.
Boring?
Comeon, They should have made an inspiring design, it certainly has potential.
The inside is great and that lightshow is really cool.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #130
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

I think this station is wonderful. I stopped at it a couple of years ago when I was last in Berlin (it was still open despite not being finished) and looked good then, so I think it will be great now it's finished. Still, I am wondering what the original plans looked like. Has anyone some images of these original plans?

By the way, it's not the biggest station in Europe by any degree. It's the biggest through station from what I understand, but there are several bigger stations in other parts of Germany, France, UK, Switzerland etc.
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #131
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8964

I was there at the opening ceremony. Amazing stuff!
If you want to see 127 pictures of the Hauptbahnhof follow THIS LINK to my thread in the polish section of SSC. My traffic is limited so the pictures won´t stay for long.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #132
cladiv
----

Its not the most inspiring or original design but I like it very much, especially its modern outlook.Good job.
cladiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #133
salvius

Likes (Received): 12

I was there last year, when it was still not finished, but it was already gorgeous, and you could tell it was going to be truly wonderful when finished. Obviously made mostly for showing off, but I don't mean that as a bad thing.
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #134
Konoval
Finno-ugric bitch

Likes (Received): 33

God, this station seems to be just the new main sight of Berlin. I am now thinking of byuing a Moscow-Berlin train ticket, when coming to World Championship instead of aircaft! Masterpiece...
Konoval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #135
coolminx

Likes (Received): 10

there are some Videos on the "youTube"-page ...

this is cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHIid...h=hauptbahnhof
(please resize to fullscreen ("size" => 2nd left symbol))

and that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPPB...h=hauptbahnhof

http://www.db.de/site/bahn/de/untern...v20060502.html
Quote:
(...) Etwa 600 bewegliche computergesteuerte Hochleistungsscheinwerfer mit bis zu 2.000 Watt, vier der größten Show-Lasersysteme in Deutschland, 5.000 einzelne Pyro-Effekte, mehrere LCD-Screens, ein 144 Quadratmeter großer LED-Schirm – 750 Tonnen Material wurden benötigt, um die Lichtsinfonie aufzuführen. Insgesamt arbeiten etwa 300 Menschen in rund 30.000 Arbeitsstunden an dem Gelingen der optisch-akustischen Komposition.
(...)
Der weltbekannte Lichtdesigner Jerry Appelt setzt die Sinfonie visuell in Szene und macht sie zu einem unvergesslichen Erlebnis. Die Idee der Lichtsinfonie wurde von einem Team der Agentur Scholz & Friends unter Leitung von Sebastian Turner entwickelt.

Der Lichtkünstler Jerry Appelt (www.jpappelt.de)

Jerry Appelt (39) ist einer der profiliertesten Lichtkünstler weltweit. Er gestaltet weltweit große Shows und künstlerische Kleinode. Bei den Olympischen Spielen in Sydney 2000 verzauberte Jerry Appelt die ganze Welt. Die Eröffnungs- und Abschlussfeierlichkeiten bleiben dank der berauschenden Bilder der Licht- und Feuershow von Jerry Appelt unvergessen. Der Lichtkünstler gestaltete auch große Lichtfeste für das omanische Königshaus (die Royal Equestrian Gala) und für das Königshaus von Thailand. In Sevilla formte er für eine Aufführung der Oper Carmen die ganze Stadt zur Bühne. Jerry Appelt ist Träger des Deutschen Bühnenpreises. Auch in Berlin inszenierte Jerry Appelt bereits eindrucksvolle Bilder: Zur Langen Nacht der Museen 2004 rückte er den Pergamon-Altar in besonderes Licht.(...)

Videos on the "youTube"-page ...

this is cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHIid...h=hauptbahnhof
(please resize to fullscreen ("size" => 2nd left symbol))

and that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPPB...h=hauptbahnhof

Last edited by coolminx; June 1st, 2006 at 01:03 AM.
coolminx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #136
phubben
Is it a bee?

Likes (Received): 1

I don't get it! I went to Berlin last june (2005) and the S-Bahn was already running in the station on the top level! How did they manage to make it go to the lower level... and why was the station inaugurated only ine may 2006?

By the way it's a great station (and I dig Berlin)!!!
phubben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #137
coolminx

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phubben
I don't get it! I went to Berlin last june (2005) and the S-Bahn was already running in the station on the top level! How did they manage to make it go to the lower level...
the "S-Bahn" kept running on top level ...

the visible Station is a bit like a top of an Iceberg ...
most constructions were made on the lower levels ...
in June last year many things were already prepared or already under construction (tunnels to the station, parts of the lower levels) ...
but most parts were unvisible ...

[img]

so, they were many ...
they were working hard by day and by night ...
and they were successful ...

.oO(but didnt recognize that there is too less space for cabs in front of the station so now there is a wild anarchy parking situation ... )

Quote:
(...) and why was the station inaugurated only ine may 2006?
because ...
FootballSoccer WorldCup 2006 ...

Berlin WM-Guest-Helper Campeign: http://www.berlinizer.com
Culcha Candela WM-Guest-Helper promoSound: http://www.berlinizer.com/berlinizer.mp3

Last edited by coolminx; May 30th, 2006 at 11:15 PM.
coolminx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:43 AM   #138
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded
I was there at the opening ceremony. Amazing stuff!
If you want to see 127 pictures of the Hauptbahnhof follow THIS LINK to my thread in the polish section of SSC. My traffic is limited so the pictures won´t stay for long.
When will you post those pics in the German section?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:29 AM   #139
Blitzlicht
BANNED

Cant wait to arrive at this station. I loved the Zoo station, because it's so easy to get everywhere from there, hopefully they build in the U and S lines into this soon. I heard theres a U55 to Brandenburger Tor, is this true? My flat in Berlin is about 3 blocks away and I was wondering if what i heard was true. Would be so easy to get home next holiday then (I go to boarding school in Germany), I usually have to take the U from Zoo to Mitte but that takes so long, and after a 9 hour train ride i'm sick of trains (even if it's on the ICE)....
Blitzlicht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:43 AM   #140
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3667

U55 at the end of this year, I think!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
berlin, buses, s-bahn, trams, transport, u-bahn