daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #2261
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
it takes forever to start this tower....
As long as it starts anytime everything is good
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #2262
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
it takes forever to start this tower....
Hines moves very fast once they go to ground. As soon as this little party favor disappears, the REAL party starts!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:11 AM   #2263
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5311

More progress.

Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:54 PM   #2264
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28206

That won't take long to remove.

iamtheSTIG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:50 AM   #2265
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Nice

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:13 AM   #2266
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Great to see this moving forward! Hopefully construction will start before the winter.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:13 AM   #2267
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Good Riddance! That old museum building is finally decreasing in height. Then, piling and excavation can occur.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #2268
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Hines moves very fast once they go to ground. As soon as this little party favor disappears, the REAL party starts!
OK, maybe it is just me, but I am talking and hearing about this tower the last 4 or so years with the previous designs being scaled down, changed, criticized, slammed and finally we are at the time of demolition. Hallelujah!!!

I really hope they start soon, since it is like one of the oldest proposed sites in the city....

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #2269
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
OK, maybe it is just me, but I am talking and hearing about this tower the last 4 or so years with the previous designs being scaled down, changed, criticized, slammed and finally we are at the time of demolition. Hallelujah!!!

I really hope they start soon, since it is like one of the oldest proposed sites in the city....
I feel the opposite. The wind has been taken out of my sails regarding this project. Im not that enthusiastic about it any more. Sure, it is an objectively beautiful building (although I sorely miss the originals design), but it is being built in a totally different context now. One of taller and grander buildings.

The EDM Student
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #2270
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

Taller buildings are being built in the city, but till this day none of them has been able to match the grander of this tower's design, tho some are close (Steinway).

Meanwhile....

http://hines.com/press/releases/9112014MoMA.aspx
Series of Closings Ready 53W53 in New York for Imminent Groundbreaking

Quote:
(NEW YORK) – The New York office of Hines, the international real estate firm, made a major announcement today concerning its prime parcel of land adjacent to The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). Hines acquired the land in 2007 and, today, closed on the purchases of additional air rights necessary to build 53W53, a striking for-sale residential tower designed by Jean Nouvel with interiors by Thierry Despont.

There were two air-rights closings: one with MoMA and one with Saint Thomas Episcopal Church. The project partnership also closed on an $860 million construction loan led by United Overseas Bank Limited with participation from three other Asian banks: Maybank; OCBC Bank; and DBS Bank. In addition, a guaranteed-maximum-price construction contract was finalized with Lend Lease.

Hines and project partner Goldman Sachs have entered into a joint venture agreement and equity partnership with Pontiac Land Group, a respected Singapore-based real estate developer and investor.

With the achievement of these milestones, the project is ready to commence construction. Corcoran Sunshine Marketing Group will handle marketing of the project, and a sales gallery will open on Fifth Avenue in early 2015.

53W53 is located adjacent to MoMA and spans the width of the block— from 53rd to 54th Streets. The 1,050-foot-tall, 82-story tower will comprise 140 highest-end condominium residences plus 28 service apartments and offer an extensive palette of luxury amenities. The new tower will also include, and rise above, a 39,000-square-foot expansion of gallery and public space for The Museum of Modern Art on lower floors.

“More than a decade of planning has gone into setting the stage for this architectural masterpiece. The building’s singular elegance will be valued by future residents and treasured by New Yorkers and visitors as a new international design landmark,” commented Hines Senior Managing Director Tommy Craig.

Hines is a privately owned real estate firm involved in real estate investment, development and property management worldwide. The firm’s historical and current portfolio of projects that are underway, completed, acquired and managed for third parties includes 1,317 properties representing more than 541 million square feet of quality real estate. With offices in 115 cities in 18 countries, and controlled assets valued at approximately $28.2 billion, Hines is one of the most respected real estate organizations in the world. Visit www.hines.com for more information.

Vertical_Gotham, onewtclover liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #2271
Tümsiad
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

nice tower
Tümsiad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #2272
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

After Decade of Planning, Nouvel’s MoMA Skyscraper Ready to Rise
http://highrisefacilities.com/decade...er-ready-rise/

Quote:
There were two air-rights closings: one with MoMA and one with Saint Thomas Episcopal Church. The project partnership also closed on an $860 million construction loan led by United Overseas Bank Limited with participation from three other Asian banks: Maybank; OCBC Bank; and DBS Bank. In addition, a guaranteed-maximum-price construction contract was finalized with Lend Lease.
Quote:
Hines and project partner Goldman Sachs have entered into a joint venture agreement and equity partnership with Pontiac Land Group, a Singapore-based real estate developer and investor. With the achievement of these milestones, the project is ready to commence construction
Quote:
All discretionary approvals necessary to build the project are in place and construction is expected to begin in October with initial occupancy in late 2018

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster, desertpunk, j-biz liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #2273
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Sigh. It is great news. But part of me has secretly been hoping all this time that Hines had some trump card up their sleeve that could get Amanda Burden's height ruling overturned. This gem of a tower deserves to be much much taller.
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #2274
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
This gem of a tower deserves to be much much taller.
Gary Barnett should give Nouvel a call. Scale it up, add a little overhang and get an instant classic Nordstrom tower. One can dream..

It is not wholly crazy talk. New York has plenty of examples of good designs being reused, from Ralph Walker's towers to the Grace and Solow buildings. The model on Gary's desk in the PBS episode about One57 even reminded me a bit of Nouvel's design, with the tapering figure and expressed structure in gloss metal:

(I'm still holding out that that is the actual model for that tower and the current blocky thing is just massing).
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #2275
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

That tower Barnett has is the one that should have been built. What a tremendous tower that would have been, much better than the current tacky One57 or the boxy Nordstrom.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #2276
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Sigh. It is great news. But part of me has secretly been hoping all this time that Hines had some trump card up their sleeve that could get Amanda Burden's height ruling overturned. This gem of a tower deserves to be much much taller.
Given the organized opposition to the tower from the NIMBY neighbors, I doubt Hines would want to open the process back up again. Even if the original height were restored, those Shiite NIMBYs would file an injunction immediately. I guess you take what you can get on West 53rd St...

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #2277
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

The model looks really nice. They should build that. (And I'm not talking about Tower Verre. They look different.

As for the tower's height, it would be nice if it was taller. Just around 400m would be nice.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #2278
Vertical_Gotham

We already know this but another article on it in today.

$85M air rights purchase pushes stalled MoMa tower ahead Dallas developer Hines has also lined up construction loan with several Asian banks
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/09/...l+Estate+News)

Quote:
With the purchase of some $85 million worth of air rights from its neighbors and a large construction loan in place, the developer of the long-stalled MoMa supertall tower said it is finally ready to put shovels in the ground.

Dallas-based Hines recently closed on two deals to buy more than 240,000 square feet of development rights from MoMa and the St. Thomas Episcopal Church for its Jean Nouvel-designed, 1,050-foot condo tower 53W53, property records show. The total purchase price worked out to $85.3 million. The 31,389 square feet of development rights from MoMa worked out to about $453 per foot, while St. Thomas’ 210,000 square feet of excess rights came in shy of $340 per foot. The developer declined to comment on the specifics of the transactions. An air-rights expert not affiliated with the deals said they were probably negotiated some time ago at different intervals.

Hines purchased the site in 2007 and planned to build what would be, at the time, the city’s tallest residential tower. The tower’s height was slashed by about 200 feet throughout the course of gaining city approvals, and as the project got bogged down during the financial crisis, competing buildings – Extell’s One57 and Macklowe’s 432 Park – forged ahead and took the tallest-tower distinction.

Hines and its development partner, Goldman Sachs, have entered into an equity partnership with Singapore-based Pontiac Land Group. The team closed on an $860 million construction loan from United Overseas Bank Limited in conjunction with three other Asian banks: Maybank, OCBC Bank and DBS Bank.

Construction on the 82-story, 140-unit tower is expected to commence shortly.

“More than a decade of planning has gone into setting the stage for this architectural masterpiece,” Hines senior managing director Tommy Craig said in a statement. “The building’s singular elegance will be valued by future residents and treasured by New Yorkers and visitors as a new international design landmark.”

A sales office run by Corcoran Sunshine Marketing Group is expected to open on Fifth Avenue early next year.

citybooster, desertpunk liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:09 PM   #2279
Vertical_Gotham

Jean Nouvel’s 53rd Street tower PH units revealed: PHOTOS 82-story structure to have over 442K sf of residential space, composed of 140 residential units
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/09/....jMbsPyht.dpuf

7,375 sq ft 3 bedroom, penthouse duplex unit on the 78th & 79th floors

Quote:
Floor plans for the Jean Nouvel-designed MoMA tower planned for Midtown reveal that the largest penthouse will be nearly 19 times the size of the smallest staff apartment. Developer Hines disclosed those figures in an application filed last month to sell condominium units at the 1,050-foot structure.

The 82-story structure at 53 West 53rd Street planned for mid-block between Fifth and Sixth avenues will have a total of 442,357 square feet of residential space, composed of 140 residential units that include six penthouse units as well as 30 additional staff quarters on floors 14 through 16, for a total of 170 units, according to the condominium offering plan Hines submitted Aug. 13. As of last week the plan was under review and had not yet been accepted. Hines did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The largest penthouse, PH76 has 7,892 square feet spread over two floors, while the smallest of the staff apartments, unit 1503, has just 417 square feet. That ratio is not as wide as in 432 Park Avenue, where the largest unit at 8,255 square feet is 24 times larger than the smallest staff unit with just 342 square feet. CIM Group and Macklowe Properties are building 432 Park.

The prices were not revealed except for the resident manager’s unit, priced at $3,115 per square foot. That’s more expensive than at 432 Park, where the resident manager’s unit had an original price in 2013 of $3,000 per square foot.

Hines, based in Houston, recently closed on the $85.3 million purchase of air rights that will be used to construct the tower, The Real Deal reported last week.

In contrast to Extell Development’s One57 at 157 West 57th Street, this tower has very few three-bedroom units, although in some instances the floorplans suggest a bedroom could replace a library.

Like many office and residential towers today, the actual number of floors is smaller than the marketed number of floors. The city’s Department of Buildings shows the structure has 73 floors with the highest apartment floor on the 72nd floor. The filing with the AG’s office identifies the tallest floor as 82.

To get to that high a floor, several floors — in this building 41 through 47 — are skipped.

The residential units at 53 West 53rd Street are focused on smaller units, compared with 432 Park and One57.

Among the 140 apartment units for sale (not including the staff units) are 32 one-bedroom apartments, 51 two-bedrooms, 47 three-bedrooms, nine four-bedrooms and two five-bedroom units.

The only five-bedroom units in the building are on the 60th floor with 7,195 square feet, and 61st floor with 7,071 square feet. The largest unit in the building is a three-bedroom duplex, PH76.

In contrast, 432 Park has 99 units for sale but only two are one-bedroom units. In the CIM and Macklowe development, there are 30 two-bedrooms, 40 three-bedrooms, 18 four-bedrooms, three five-bedrooms and six six-bedroom units.

At One57, the bulk of the 94 units have three bedrooms. There are eight one-bedroom units, 20 two-bedroom units, 38 three-bedroom units, 22 four-bedroom units, four five-bedroom units and two six-bedroom units.
more Floor plans available in link

j-biz, citybooster, streetscapeer liked this post
Old October 7th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #2280
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre