daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #2501
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I agree...it would have really stood out more had they not caved in to pressures to lop it down from 1,250 to 1,050 ft... but Verre is unique. No sin not to like the design, but I think that will remain a very rare opinion especially among those who are really into skyscrapers. It's not just a building but a work of modern art, which is fitting since it wil be hosting several floors of the Museum of Modern Art.

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #2502
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

this one will be a stunner for years to come and become the image MOMA is associated with like the Transamerica Pyramid.

Kanto liked this post
optimusprimal1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #2503
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Fact is, I normally prefer simple rectangular buildings but even I consider Verre to be an exceptionaly beautiful masterpiece. It's sheer artistic brilliancy overcomes even the boundaries of different stlye preference ........ at least to me

optimusprimal1, citybooster liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #2504
DayTrip

Likes (Received): 5

From the rendering, it's a very beautiful and sexy looking building. I can hardly wait to see the whole completed building once it built.
DayTrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #2505
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

And those good renders may have something to do with it too. Shoddy renders elicit criticism that eventually leads to a chorus of "this turned out better than expected".

In this case the renders are actually quite good. Rarely do buildings turn out worse than rendered so I expect this thing to continue getting accolades.

citybooster liked this post
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #2506
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3323

tectonic
Old May 10th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #2507
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28209

the rebar in those piles is really thick.

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #2508
YuppieLifestyle

Likes (Received): 159

Cool shots
YuppieLifestyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #2509
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

High flyer: A vision of Jean Nouvel's addition to New York's soaring skyline

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #2510
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Don't know if this was ever shared....

Melonus, Hudson11, citybooster, Kanto, mafd12 and 2 others liked this post
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #2511
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Inside New York’s Newest Architectural Masterpiece for the Mega-Rich
$70 million might net you the duplex penthouse of 53W53, Jean Nouvel’s MoMA Tower

More info, video and pictures in link:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...to-nyc-skyline

Quote:
The newest condominium tower in midtown Manhattan's billionaires district is ready to open its doors to buyers. It took almost a decade to get there.
The skyscraper at 53 W. 53rd St., designed by French architect Jean Nouvel and rising next to the Museum of Modern Art, will start marketing its 139 apartments next week, with prices starting at $3 million. Planned since 2006, the project endured the real estate bust and a global financial crisis that decimated demand for luxury homes. Now it's emerging when buyers can't seem to get enough of them.

"We're very eager to begin,'' said David Penick, the New York-based managing director for developer Hines, which is building the project with Goldman Sachs Group and Singapore-based Pontiac Land Group. "We're confident in what we have to sell in the market we're in, and we'll see how it goes.''

The project's latest challenge: competing for buyers with about a half-dozen other luxury condo towers that are under construction nearby. The developments—including Vornado Realty Trust's 220 Central Park South and Aby Rosen's 100 E. 53rd St.—are transforming Midtown neighborhoods known for hotels and corporate offices into communities of wealthy people from around the world who are hungry for large living spaces and panoramic views.

It would certainly be better if there weren't so many new buildings coming on the market right now,'' Penick says at the Fifth Avenue sales gallery for the project, known as 53W53. "But I think we have a uniquely attractive package to offer."

A scale model shows 53W53's location near Midtown's "Billionaires Row."

Diagonal Beams

The 1,050-foot (320-meter) tower, the size of the Chrysler Building, will rise near the corner of Sixth Avenue between 53rd and 54th streets, on land once owned by the adjacent museum. MoMA will expand its galleries in the bottom three floors of the residential building, whose signature architectural flourish is a web of diagonal concrete beams that gird the structure from the outside before tapering into a pinnacle more than 82 stories into the sky.

"It is the flag—not only of the building—but the flag of the MoMA on the skyline,'' says Nouvel, who also designed a Ferrari factory in Italy, an art museum in Abu Dhabi, and a 23-story condo building near Manhattan's Chelsea waterfront.

Unobstructed views of Central Park, five blocks away, start on the 48th story, which is where the building's larger half-floor units also begin, according to Penick and preliminary plans filed with the New York state attorney general's office. The most expensive apartment, a 6,643-square-foot (617-square-meter) duplex spanning the 81st and 82nd floors, will be priced at more than $70 million, Penick says.

Inside a model bedroom at the 53W53 sales gallery.

Skyline Views
Smaller one- and two-bedroom units on the lower floors will have views of the Midtown skyline. The least-expensive condo is a one-bedroom of about 1,450 sq. ft. on the 17th floor; it will be listed for sale at $3 million, according to Penick.

"It's not immediately on the park, so the apartments in the lower part of the building, we think, would sell better if they were not so large,'' says Penick. "Very intentionally, we sought to have a range in unit sizes."

Every apartment is shaped a little differently because the building's exterior support beams cross the floor-to-ceiling windows at various angles, Nouvel said. It made for an interesting design challenge.

"We tried to do a kind of dialogue with the views and with the buildings around,'' he says. "You frame it with different shapes in the city and the neighboring buildings."

53W53 tapers into a pinnacle more than 82 stories into the sky.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #2512
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I just noticed the two parts on each side gradually become silver and gold near the top

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #2513
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...n_progress.php
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #2514
Vertical_Gotham

Meet the Visionaries Behind NYC’s New Billionaire Lair

Ghostface79, Assemblage23 liked this post
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #2515
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Ohio!

Old May 15th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #2516
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

I think it shows Hines' confidence in the superiority of their design (and arguably location) that they're doing unlike most other developers and including all the other, taller Billionaires Row towers in that model.

Crowns n' Spires liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #2517
Vertical_Gotham

New York is going bonkers!!

Here's more pic of the model that Munchymunch posted above. The glassy model is being displayed in the Atrium of the MOMA.

Love how they included the Nordstrom and the Steinway in models display below.

Ghostface79, mafd12, Kanto liked this post
Old May 15th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #2518
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

A pure masterpiece!
Guess I know where I'm going this weekend

I wonder if those blue lights on the building are an indication of the lighting scheme they'll use. If yes I wanna see those "veins" in red.

Last edited by Ghostface79; May 15th, 2015 at 09:20 PM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #2519
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I wonder if those blue lights on the building are an indication of the lighting scheme they'll use. Use yes I wanna see those "veins" in red.
I was thinking the same thing. If the "veins" are lit up at night, this tower will be OUT OF CONTROL!!!!

Kanto liked this post
Old May 15th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #2520
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

As with the other residential towers, I think it's unlikely that we'll see the exoskeleton lit up. Which I'm okay with because, while I think it's cool in theory, if the Bank of China tower in HK is any indication, it can look a little cheesy in practice.

Almost undoubtedly they'll do something with the crown which, with its three pinnacles, should be spectacular in its own right. And here's the thing -- the tower will be lit from the inside (and since there's no core, residential lights will fill whole floors) which will create a changing outline of the exoskeleton that's more elegant and natural than any LEDs could.

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre