daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #261
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Actually I will give Dubai props for trying things that have not been done before on relatively overdone scale but still the magnitude of the development there is astounding although drenched in cheeseyness (but not all). Aquablue won't be starting anything, just brush his comments off.

Just frusterating is all. The silly process to get things done over here is dramatic and complicated. The amount of time it takes to hear about something, watch one get canned, or actually get off the ground. On top of that we get to read all the inane comments made by opposition groups, activists, and tired politicians. So if you can excuse me just this once for any of us here in New York it gets so aggrivating.

Rizzato said it right too total cok blockage lol thats just about right !

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #262
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

The Toronto forumers are big fan's of this one. We envy you basatards
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #263
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

If you don't have hope that it will get built, the NIMBYs and dickcheeses all over have already won. I am quite happy to say that his has a chance, and must have lots of backing because of the famous designer and because it's famous a cultural institution. It would be horrible for everyone to see this just never be built, with the renderings remaining as a source of pain for everyone who is unlucky enough to see them again.

Currently, in New York, it's that the more groundbreaking and unique and grand and iconic a design is, the more of a reason there is for it not to be built in the eyes of these idiot NIMBYs and people who have no lives and just go around spreading negative news about and trying to cancel skyscrapers and other large projects because they think it's all just a waste and imposing on the rest of the city. If you give them the choice between a 50-story tall box of concrete that costs 400 million to build and a 100-story, breathtaking piece of art that would cost 2 pennies to build, we all know what has the best chance of being built: nothing because 50 floors is "clearly in violation of zoning laws" and is "way too tall and imposing."

For skyscraper fans, you might be better off living in places where people don't have basic freedoms.

Make New York New York Again: Yield to Developers
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #264
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

I don't think community boards are necessarily evil, in fact it was once a good idea, but as it consists right now it is just a waste of time money and completely not the use it was intended for. I think the whole process to get a permit approved is too time wasting especially at a time when construction costs go up by 3% over a month. Sickening isn;t it?
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #265
weird
vagamundo

Do they need this amount of space?
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #266
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
If you don't have hope that it will get built, the NIMBYs and dickcheeses all over have already won. I am quite happy to say that his has a chance, and must have lots of backing because of the famous designer and because it's famous a cultural institution. It would be horrible for everyone to see this just never be built, with the renderings remaining as a source of pain for everyone who is unlucky enough to see them again.

Currently, in New York, it's that the more groundbreaking and unique and grand and iconic a design is, the more of a reason there is for it not to be built in the eyes of these idiot NIMBYs and people who have no lives and just go around spreading negative news about and trying to cancel skyscrapers and other large projects because they think it's all just a waste and imposing on the rest of the city. If you give them the choice between a 50-story tall box of concrete that costs 400 million to build and a 100-story, breathtaking piece of art that would cost 2 pennies to build, we all know what has the best chance of being built: nothing because 50 floors is "clearly in violation of zoning laws" and is "way too tall and imposing."

For skyscraper fans, you might be better off living in places where people don't have basic freedoms.

Make New York New York Again: Yield to Developers
They already won Ebola! They've got the city in the palm of their hands practically. Its as if they call the shots and we all just bow to them. If it isn't good enough for them ( which nothing is) then it isn't good enough for the city and what little can be done is the watering down of height and design and its crap. The city isn't just one neighborhood its hundreds upon hundreds of neighborhoods and the stupid rants they give are so convincing to the powers that be that they fall through QUITE A BIT.
Meanwhile what does construction mean in the long run? JOBS, JOBS, JOBS lets get more people working! HOMES, HOMES, HOMES lets make it so we can accommodate our citizens. It's progress and it is constantly being blocked.
I am not very confident in this wonderful project going through but when I see steal I'll breath a sigh of relief. Eitherway, until then it certainly is up in the air.

New York will always be NY with or without a wtb or fancy buildings everywhere because of the flare the city has. In my eyes it sits head and shoulders above everywhere else no matter what is being built. New thousand footers being built over seas is a tease but they'll never amount to NY even if they doubled construction more.. it just sucks to be a skyscraper fan in NY dealing with nimbys abound every corner. Pardon me but this is all just frusteration getting out. If I said this anywhere but in here people would think I was .

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #267
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

It would be a real waste to see such a classy tower cancelled.
Is there a counter-NIMBY movement? If not, perhaps it should be organized because if NY is anything like where I live then the NIMBYs are (or were until recently) more or less the only voiced opinion.
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #268
Stern

Likes (Received): 0

Jo.

It is longoverdue that Midtown Manhattan builds another building over 1,000 feet. Not only is this building tall but it is gorgeous, an instant landmark with lasting power that will put it alongside the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.

Help shut up the nimby's and the critics and sign my petition to put this project on the fast-track through the approval process.

http://www.petitiononline.com/53West53/petition.html

Thank you!
Stern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #269
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

Nimbys don't exist in Midtown Manhattan belive me
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #270
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

NIMBY in Midtown manhattan....sounds weird
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #271
Stern

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorhoge View Post
Nimbys don't exist in Midtown Manhattan belive me
No?

The New York Observer

Residents Rail Against Current MoMA Skyscraper Plans
by Eliot Brown | March 11, 2008

A planned 75-story residential skyscraper connected to the Museum of Modern Art seems headed for a fight with area residents, who claim the Jean Nouvel-designed tower would be dramatically out of scale with the surrounding neighborhood.

The proposed condo and hotel tower at 53 West 53rd Street, which would rise next door to and contain 50,000 square feet of added space for the museum, was hailed by New York Times’ architecture critic Nicolai Ouroussoff as “the most exhilarating addition to the skyline in a generation.”

Given a complex set of air-rights transfers, the developers of the tower, Hines, would need a set of public approvals, starting with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission, and ultimately the City Planning Commission and the City Council.

A Community Board 5 committee, which has an advisory role, unanimously voted against the development rights transfers last week, and the full board votes Thursday.

“The scale is just totally inappropriate in a low-rise area,” said RitaSue Siegel, vice president of a block association by the site.
Stern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #272
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

NYgirl, why do you have me packaged up, labled and in a box? My comments were meant as a mild joke, not an attack on NY. In fact, I think NY is a fantastic city and that is why I bring up issues like the subway, etc.. I'm bringing up these issues beucase I care about the city and I want to bring awareness to issues that are unacceptable. That is the only way things can get fixed anway, through public awareness. My comments on Dubai were frustration on the nimbies that you rail against so often, so we are in agreement there.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #273
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stern View Post
Signed Thanks for creating the petition.

But if it's really in danger I think even more needs to be done. New Yorkers who want it built could make their presence known in newspapers, radio and TV. Some Stockholm forumers did that (sorry, it's in Swedish), and I think it has actually begun to make an impact on public opinion. Take it as an inspiration that NIMBYs doesn't have to feel unchallenged, things can be done. Although I'm a little surprised New York has a nimyism problem as well.
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #274
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
The scale is just totally inappropriate in a low-rise area,” said RitaSue Siegel, vice president of a block association by the site.
WHAT!!!???

BTW, do you have a link to that article?
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #275
stefr

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
WHAT!!!???

BTW, do you have a link to that article?
Yes, she's true. This building is totally inappropriate in a low-rise area. But, in a high-rise area like Midtown Manhattan, it is perfect!

The article:

http://www.observer.com/2008/residen...yscraper-plans

And the counter-attack:

http://www.observer.com/2008/communi...unter-petition
stefr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #276
AltiusAltiusAltius

Likes (Received): 53

WTF? I can't believe such NIMBYS exist there. It's NYC for God's sake and it's not a "low rise" area!

Quote:
No?

The New York Observer

Residents Rail Against Current MoMA Skyscraper Plans
by Eliot Brown | March 11, 2008

A planned 75-story residential skyscraper connected to the Museum of Modern Art seems headed for a fight with area residents, who claim the Jean Nouvel-designed tower would be dramatically out of scale with the surrounding neighborhood.

The proposed condo and hotel tower at 53 West 53rd Street, which would rise next door to and contain 50,000 square feet of added space for the museum, was hailed by New York Times’ architecture critic Nicolai Ouroussoff as “the most exhilarating addition to the skyline in a generation.”

Given a complex set of air-rights transfers, the developers of the tower, Hines, would need a set of public approvals, starting with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission, and ultimately the City Planning Commission and the City Council.

A Community Board 5 committee, which has an advisory role, unanimously voted against the development rights transfers last week, and the full board votes Thursday.

“The scale is just totally inappropriate in a low-rise area,” said RitaSue Siegel, vice president of a block association by the site.
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #277
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

low rise Area???????? .....without words......
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #278
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Likes (Received): 1188

http://www.petitiononline.com/53West53/petition.html

Please everyone sign!! For those in New York lets all get to the meetings and take this opportunity to shut nimbies up. They are going to far this time with their absurd arguement, there is nowhere on earth more contextually suited for this building than midtown manhattan.
alonzo-ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #279
egramsbergen

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo View Post
Signed Thanks for creating the petition.

But if it's really in danger I think even more needs to be done. New Yorkers who want it built could make their presence known in newspapers, radio and TV. Some Stockholm forumers did that (sorry, it's in Swedish), and I think it has actually begun to make an impact on public opinion. Take it as an inspiration that NIMBYs doesn't have to feel unchallenged, things can be done. Although I'm a little surprised New York has a nimyism problem as well.
The same thing is happening in Rotterdam, some forumers and PIMBYs are entering the public debate about the Zalmhaven Tower and the Central Buisiniss District adjoining the new central train station. I even saw one of them on TV.
egramsbergen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #280
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

why are we talking about tower being canceled - does anyone has any real info on that or this is all just speculation?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre