daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #2921
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 821

I love black cladded skyscrapers like Willis and Hancock in Chicago, and it looks darker than I expected. Should be good.

dubaibobby liked this post
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #2922
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25179

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/53w53/

http://www.lakako.com/tag/53W53

Old October 13th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #2923
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 608

The "suits" don't wear safety shoes.
I would personally kick them off the yard immediately...

seb.nl, aquaticko, JuanPaulo, vibrato, DeaconG liked this post
oud-Rotterdammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #2924
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
I'm wondering that nobody commented on the glass panels over the concrete wall aka fake windows yet. Anybody?

Seriously: The cladding looks great! High-quality but restrained.
Old October 13th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #2925
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

The cladding looks great.
As do the fake windows.
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:00 PM   #2926
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowns n' Spires View Post
I'm wondering that nobody commented on the glass panels over the concrete wall aka fake windows yet. Anybody?

Seriously: The cladding looks great! High-quality but restrained.
Sounds very immature to constantly point out some 'fake cladding' (whatever that means) and compare it to some disgraceful and disrespectful towers/styles in New York, constructed recently.
Glass is used as a construction material just like any other material like metal, or stainless steal, therefore if it covers a wall completely it does not mimic windows with PVC frames lit from the inside.
Please do not compare incomparable things - styles, more importantly - materials of different quality.
And I've already said this before, I wonder how many times will I have to repeat for some people to be capable of understanding the point.
Oh forget it, they'll still say stuff to justify other buildings which they like so much.
I've even read conspiracy theories about modern architecture lately, in some other threads, now that puts the discussion on a completely new, sort of esoteric level, and I'm not willing to participate.
Next time, I'll just skip those threads, you know, to spare myself from the huge amount of nonsense.
I apologize for the off-topic, but as you can see they even bring their topics in these sort of threads.

Ghostface79, airpix84 liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #2927
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by oud-Rotterdammer View Post
The "suits" don't wear safety shoes.
I would personally kick them off the yard immediately...
But maybe not the one second from the left. He's the architect!
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #2928
oud-Rotterdammer
Marc from Rotterdam

Even him!
Rules are rules.
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #2929
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 236

If anything, the architect should know better!

DeaconG liked this post
LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 02:41 AM   #2930
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Sounds very immature to constantly point out some 'fake cladding' (whatever that means) and compare it to some disgraceful and disrespectful towers/styles in New York, constructed recently.
Glass is used as a construction material just like any other material like metal, or stainless steal, therefore if it covers a wall completely it does not mimic windows with PVC frames lit from the inside.
Please do not compare incomparable things - styles, more importantly - materials of different quality.
And I've already said this before, I wonder how many times will I have to repeat for some people to be capable of understanding the point.
Oh forget it, they'll still say stuff to justify other buildings which they like so much.
I've even read conspiracy theories about modern architecture lately, in some other threads, now that puts the discussion on a completely new, sort of esoteric level, and I'm not willing to participate.
Next time, I'll just skip those threads, you know, to spare myself from the huge amount of nonsense.
I apologize for the off-topic, but as you can see they even bring their topics in these sort of threads.
Well, this is isn't a conventional curtain wall, where an uniform wall of glass, acting as a separate entity of the building, covers the entirity of the facade, usually oblivious to elements such as the structure.
In this case, the cladding is designed for showing the net of structural elements that support the building, with an opaque clading where the columns and diagonal bracings are, with glass in the rest. If they mimic that in that blank concrete wall, I think they are basically making the same thing as in 220 CPS: fake windows. I think they've should let that blank wall entirely with the opaque cladding, to be coherent with the rest of the building, and after all, that blank wall is not that big, it will only go for a few lower stories.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 04:35 AM   #2931
jack3589

Likes (Received): 1012

loving the windows and pretty much everything else.
Old October 14th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #2932
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Well, this is isn't a conventional curtain wall, where an uniform wall of glass, acting as a separate entity of the building, covers the entirity of the facade, usually oblivious to elements such as the structure.
In this case, the cladding is designed for showing the net of structural elements that support the building, with an opaque clading where the columns and diagonal bracings are, with glass in the rest. If they mimic that in that blank concrete wall, I think they are basically making the same thing as in 220 CPS: fake windows. I think they've should let that blank wall entirely with the opaque cladding, to be coherent with the rest of the building, and after all, that blank wall is not that big, it will only go for a few lower stories.
You can't compare incomparable buildings and designs, especially not ones with completely different proportions and materials of different quality.
But it's okay to put this building at the same level as some others if that makes you feel better.
The building looks great, more importantly, even if the small wall was completely covered with metal, the building would still look great, we can't say the same for some other buildings/designs, right?
At least this one is creative and innovative.

BLACK DAHLIA, airpix84 liked this post
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #2933
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I think very few people would even realize they are fake windows. They blend in seamlessly with the rest of the cladding.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #2934
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
they are fake windows.
Fake cladding* (whatever that means)
Old October 14th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #2935
earthbuilder
MagnaCarta/HolyGrail

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Fake cladding* (whatever that means)
Well no. The Windows are fake, the Cladding is not.
It's the same cladding used on the rest of the building.

||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||

Check out my 3D projects:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1570589
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1497145
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1363777
earthbuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #2936
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbuilder View Post
Well no...the Cladding is not.
It's the same cladding used on the rest of the building.
My point precisely.
Old October 14th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #2937
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

Well I really like the idea of covering concrete walls with glass. As if this building needed one more thing to make it unique and great looking!

Architecture lover liked this post
Amecurty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #2938
Fluxit
Fluxit Builders

Likes (Received): 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amecurty View Post
Well I really like the idea of covering concrete walls with glass. As if this building needed one more thing to make it unique and great looking!
No, this is certainly one brilliant project. Will look amazing when finished.
Fluxit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #2939
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
You can't compare incomparable buildings and designs, especially not ones with completely different proportions and materials of different quality.
But it's okay to put this building at the same level as some others if that makes you feel better.
The building looks great, more importantly, even if the small wall was completely covered with metal, the building would still look great, we can't say the same for some other buildings/designs, right?
At least this one is creative and innovative.
First of all, I am not comparing the two buildings, what I said, is that for covering those blank walls, they followed similar strategies (although, of course, 220 CPS is a much bigger offender). And BTW I think this building is far more superior as those A. M. Stern towers (at least in the outside design) I am of the ones that doesn't get all the fuss those Stern's towers have. For example I find it awkward the way the pattern of the windows change in 30 Park Place (in the main tower section), I don't find that elegant at all, it seems like random, but I think the crown is ok.

A conventional curtain wall is completely uniform and does not differenciate between openings, structural elements or even blank walls, it just wraps the building facade entirely, that is why, even if the curtain wall covers a blank wall, it can not be considered as fake windows, because it is not a window, it is a cladding made of glass, entirely, it is not intended to differenciate the parts of a building, so it doesn't have to. Where there are windows, the glass functions as a window, if it is a wall, the glass is just a facade covering. To the exterior is all the same, just as you state, I do get your point at that.

But this is not a conventional curtain wall. It has two materials, glass and and an opaque one made of some metal. The two clearly and intentionally differenciate from each other, and unlike a conventional curtain wall, they intend to show a pretty unique structural system to the exterior. The opaque metal covers the structural elements, while the glass covers the rest, that are mostly openings (except for the floor slabs).

But if in a part of a building, they choose to make a pattern that doesn't show the actual structural elements that are behind, as in the rest of the building, according to their own "rules", what can I say, it is indeed fake. And I agree, if they would have clad it with the opaque material, it would still be great, so, I don't know why they didn't do it, That is all I was saying and it wasn't for make me feel better.

Architecture lover liked this post

Last edited by CCs77; October 14th, 2016 at 05:56 PM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #2940
Architecture lover

Okay.

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre