daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #2981
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
This is what separates towers like this and 111W57 from the rest of the towers going up in the city or anywhere else, it's the amount of details put into the design. Not only is the design great but every detail seems to be thought through, a true masterpiece.
I agree, a marvelous piece of modern/contemporary engineering, when I think about the lighting, I'm having an impression that it will stand in New York's skyline in a very good way, futuristic.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #2982
Henkka

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
I'm sure it's been said before but it's even more amazing in person.

10/25
This is the kind of attention to details that make or break iconic buildings. Especially the one on the left. Someone else would have just value engineered that piece off by adjusting the positions of the diagonals.

(c) Ghostface79
Henkka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #2983
kalel77

Likes (Received): 117

that's too bad..
kalel77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #2984
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Delete

Amecurty liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; October 27th, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #2985
NYCD

Likes (Received): 1203

I think what he is saying is that it is a masterpiece and wonderful because such little details are added in! He is saying someone else would have just value engineered the building and either left those small pieces off or just moved the whole diagonal. Instead it is left in and those small tiny pieces are included which means high attention to detail and spending that extra dollar(or many dollars haha) to add that small piece in so everything looks complete!
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #2986
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Hmmm. Might have misread it. If that's the case I obviously agree with your point Henkka.

cnbnca, Henkka, airpix84 liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #2987
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 178

We may be looking at the future greatest building of all time. This thing is going to be an absolute masterpiece. Its a damn shame the height got knocked down. Either way this is going to be a legendary tower.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #2988
Henkka

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCD View Post
I think what he is saying is that it is a masterpiece and wonderful because such little details are added in! He is saying someone else would have just value engineered the building and either left those small pieces off or just moved the whole diagonal. Instead it is left in and those small tiny pieces are included which means high attention to detail and spending that extra dollar(or many dollars haha) to add that small piece in so everything looks complete!
Quote:
Hmmm. Might have misread it. If that's the case I obviously agree with your point Henkka.
No harm, no foul.

I re-read my post and there is a possibility for misunderstanding. But as NYCD said, I meant that this is really turning out be the masterpiece promised by the renders. And that is because the attention (and money spent) to those details I pointed out.
Henkka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #2989
airpix84
New York City Lover

Likes (Received): 52

I will be in big trouble when Steinway Tower will begin to rise property in choosing which topic to follow first!Best development of the Century!
Totally agree that this will be featured in a movie as soon as it's done!
My Tumblr
airpix84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #2990
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
This is the kind of attention to details that make or break iconic buildings. Especially the one on the left. Someone else would have just value engineered that piece off by adjusting the positions of the diagonals.
Like was done with 1WTC in a zillion places:

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 88538 others disliked this post

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #2991
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
They could simply cover all the structural elements with the curtain wall. It's quite weird to transfer those shapes to the exterior, while having an opportunity to decorate it better (or keeping it clean and immaculate).

AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #2992
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

There wouln't be any need to shape the strucural elements like this, if not to show them off at the exterior. Just vertical colums, and some cross bracing would have done the same job, while beeing way faster to construct and a lot cheaper. In my opinion, the pointiness of the building, of the three tips at the top, works only with the spiderweb at the outside. If such a havy change would be applied at the facade, one might overthink the shape of the whole building as well. A bland and 'clean', facade would probably requiere a matching bland shape of the building – You might just end with your usual glassbox. Jean Nouvel used the pointy triangular shapes on the building and on its structure on purpuse, to complement the rectangular shapes of MoMA.
Old October 30th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #2993
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Was going to post updates of this tower too, but pictures just do not do this thing justice. I can never decide which one is going to be better, this or 111 W57th.

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #2994
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowns n' Spires View Post
There wouln't be any need to shape the strucural elements like this, if not to show them off at the exterior. Just vertical colums, and some cross bracing would have done the same job, while beeing way faster to construct and a lot cheaper. In my opinion, the pointiness of the building, of the three tips at the top, works only with the spiderweb at the outside. If such a havy change would be applied at the facade, one might overthink the shape of the whole building as well. A bland and 'clean', facade would probably requiere a matching bland shape of the building – You might just end with your usual glassbox. Jean Nouvel used the pointy triangular shapes on the building and on its structure on purpuse, to complement the rectangular shapes of MoMA.
I just noticed the renders on the first page with the random delaunay-tesselated cage. Looks wicked. And the way it's getting implemented - quite crooked. With the quality they're getting there, I would already start to regret it's not a clean glassbox, but a giant dirt-collector.

Old October 30th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #2995
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
I just noticed the renders on the first page with the random delaunay-tesselated cage. Looks wicked. And the way it's getting implemented - quite crooked. With the quality they're getting there, I would already start to regret it's not a clean glassbox, but a giant dirt-collector.
Do you work for a developer that competes with the developer of this tower? You are being quite negative towards this building, even though hardly any of it has been completed yet, and there seems to be little logical reason for your negativity.

ThatOneGuy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 07:33 AM   #2996
AP Design
BANNED

Don't be negative about it. I'm always strictly honest - neither more, nor less. And that's a very positive and creative thing. The lack of honesty is destructive.
Let's hope the lame quality cladding will be corrected, and it will look nicer. I think they will have to unfollow the curtain wall seams while cladding with alumimum panels, for that sake.

Old October 31st, 2016, 05:29 PM   #2997
AndyMEng

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
They could simply cover all the structural elements with the curtain wall. It's quite weird to transfer those shapes to the exterior, while having an opportunity to decorate it better (or keeping it clean and immaculate).
Uh, value engineering?

How about slightly adjusting the joints in the panels so that there aren't a million little pieces that will inevitably become loose in 50 years and be taken off?

Looks to me like if the joint in the vertical panels could just be moved lower, everything would line up and be just fine?

EDIT: Ah, my mistake, I see the joints are aligned with the glazing. To me this is expensive engineering, not value engineering. But good for those with OCD.

AndyMEng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 05:49 PM   #2998
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

Well, (expesnsive) means, they put effort into creating something iconic and a true masterpiece, unlike so many of these wannabe modern organic shaped towers that are just tacky and value engeneered. To me, this tower, One Vanderbilt and 111 W57th will be the kings of this skyscraper boom.
Old October 31st, 2016, 07:43 PM   #2999
AP Design
BANNED

This style's era has passed off already. It was an era of deconstructivist dreamers that had no conception of style. Don't you think that in order to become "iconic", the edifice has to symbolize something, it needs to have a meaning, to represent some values, to be symbolic, and to be easy to remember and easy to sketch? And it's gotta be easy to sketch it to any layman, to sketch it in 5 seconds, and still be instantly recognizable by anybody. And it has to be absolutely unique, literally like nothing else, completely fresh. And if, having all the aforementioned qualities, it manages to embody all the evidences of stylishness - then it's surely destined to become iconic!
This is my concise guide to Iconic Design.

Old November 1st, 2016, 03:55 AM   #3000
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

NEW YORK | Tower Verre - 53W53 | 320m | 1050ft | 77 fl | U/C

Quote:
This style's era has passed off already. It was an era of deconstructivist dreamers that had no conception of style. Don't you think that in order to become "iconic", the edifice has to symbolize something, it needs to have a meaning, to represent some values, to be symbolic, and to be easy to remember and easy to sketch? And it's gotta be easy to sketch it to any layman, to sketch it in 5 seconds, and still be instantly recognizable by anybody. And it has to be absolutely unique, literally like nothing else, completely fresh. And if, having all the aforementioned qualities, it manages to embody all the evidences of stylishness - then it's surely destined to become iconic!
This is my concise guide to Iconic Design.

This style's era has passed...? Nobody's ever built anything like this in NY, so wrong.
Most people couldn't sketch the Emire State or the Chrysler if their life depended on it. Most people can't sketch a bicycle or a dog, so maybe let's not go down to that level with 'iconic' architecture.
Most iconic buildings don't get the title because their architect found some lame design recipe for it, they live through history, they may have exceptional properties and eventually become what they become.
Also the absolutely new, literally like nothing else...no. The Wolworth wasn't Cass Gilbert's first neo-gothic building, it's amazingly beautiful predecessor is a few hundred yards away at 90 West. You don't have to discover a style to create something memorable.

That building on that link doesn't really work.

Last edited by generalscarr; November 1st, 2016 at 05:24 AM.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre