daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #321
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

I'm guessing that's a bad thing
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #322
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

it's a good thing.

....right?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #323
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
it's a good thing.

....right?
No They were voting on denying the transfer of air rights and it seems that they voted yes on not letting them obtain the needed air rights... Freakin NIMBY bastards
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #324
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28350

Well, it is a negative advice, but could it be turned down by the New York City Department of City Planning ?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #325
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Well, it is a negative advice, but could it be turned down by the New York City Department of City Planning ?
Yes - the community board has no official role in the decision. They could wield some influence, but MOMA is also a big institution and will hopefully fight for the tower as is.

Last edited by econ_tim; March 28th, 2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: accidentally left out the word "no"
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #326
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

The community board is only advisory. Its decision is NOT binding. However generally developers tend to bend towards the NIMBYs in order to get the building built.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #327
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

to clear up, the tower is not near its cancelling.

from NYguy:

"NIMBYs have decided they are against the tower, but really, should that be a surprise? Fortunately, they don't get to decide whether or not this tower gets built. Although the transfer of air rights hasn't officially been approved, it's not close to being denied either."
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:10 AM   #328
chromebowler

Likes (Received): 26

It has to help the cause that the architect, Jean Nouvel, just won architecture's highest honor, the Pritzker Prize.
chromebowler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #329
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I never thought I'd live to see this, New yorks going throught another skyscraper boom. I hope this building gets built it would be great for the city. With the BOA and NYT buildings going up in NY. it feels great to be a new yorker. Back to the topic at hand this is by far the best looking building in the city. Lets do what we can to see it Built.
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #330
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I'm getting good feelings. There's a lot of people who want to see her built, and they're united. I am sure we can smash it in the CB's face. They are only one part in a process of many, many parts.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #331
Hankster

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I'm getting good feelings. There's a lot of people who want to see her built, and they're united. I am sure we can smash it in the CB's face. They are only one part in a process of many, many parts.
Don't give up. This is a great project that should get built. In fact, I think it's the best one of all in the city right now. If the pro forces bind together and speak loudly in favor of this project, it will get built, and those NIMBY's will have lost again. New York is a city of great skyscrapers. There's no way those NIMBY's should have much influence at all in New York.
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #332
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

news from SSP:

http://nysun.com/news/new-york/75-st...se-beside-moma

75-Story Tower May Soon Rise Beside MoMA
Landmarks Commission To Study Plan for Nouvel Building

By PETER KIEFER
April 8, 2008

The city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission is being asked to pave the way for the construction of a soaring glass tower that would alter the city’s skyline and permit the expansion of the Museum of Modern Art.

Today, the 11-member panel will consider the plan by a prominent national developer, Hines, to build a twisting, 75-story apartment tower on a small site adjacent to MoMA.

The project architect, Jean Nouvel, last month won the most prestigious award in his field, the Pritzker Prize, and prominent members of the city’s architecture community are expected to rally on behalf of the project, which they say represents a ground-breaking innovation. The plan is also facing loud criticism from neighbors and preservationists because of the tower’s height and its mid-block location on a side street rather than an avenue. The critics say the angular design is out of context with one of Midtown’s most visited blocks.

“This area is a very small footprint where they want to build and put a building that is taller than the Chrysler building,” the president of the West 54th and 55th Street Block Association, Veronika Conant, said in an interview.

The preservation battle is part of a recent trend of developers hiring high-profile architects to add momentum to projects that face challenges acquiring the necessary city or state approvals.

Two years ago, many critics lauded the 30-story glass tower designed by another Pritzker Prize winner, British architect Sir Norman Foster, that was set to be built out of the Parke-Bernet Gallery building at Madison Avenue and 76th Street. After an outcry from neighbors and preservationists, the plan was rejected by the landmarks commission last year.

“In the end, we think this building should be evaluated on its merits, not on the architect attached,” the deputy director of the Historic Districts Council, Frampton Tolbert, said. “This was a big question that came up with the Norman Foster tower.”

Hines will ask the landmarks commissioners to approve the transfer of development rights from two individual landmarks on Fifth Avenue — the University Club and St. Thomas Church — to a site formerly owned by the Museum of Modern Art, more than 500 feet to the west, near Sixth Avenue. The site does not fall within a historic district, but the landmarks commission has oversight because it involves the transfer of development rights from a landmarked building.

In considering the transfer, the commissioners must decide whether the application would help to preserve the existing landmarked structures, in the form of up-front restoration work or a long-term maintenance program. To begin construction, the developer needs several waivers from the city’s Planning Commission and final approval from the City Council.

As part of its agreement with Hines, the Museum of Modern of Art would add gallery space on the second, fourth, and fifth floors of the new building. Museum officials support the plan and will have representatives present at today’s hearing.

The executive director of the New York chapter of the American Institute of Architects, Fredric Bell, said his board was in favor the proposed building and that representatives from the AIA would testify today on behalf of the developer.

“We were generally much more positive than negative and it had nothing to do with Nouvel. Urbanistically the building completes a missing tooth on the street,” Mr. Bell said.

Two years ago, the Whitney Museum on the Upper East Side pulled out of its third proposed plan in 11 years to do an expansion with a celebrity architect attached as a designer. The most recent architect was Renzo Piano.

“It’s a very, very unique block similar to what the Whitney has uptown. We thought what Renzo was doing uptown for the Whitney was similar — creating a different idea for the area, which was a great idea,” Mr. Bell said.

The local Community Board 4 recently voted against the plan, and a number of local residents are expected to turn out at today’s hearing in opposition.

“I can’t believe the claim that Nouvel looked at the context. If he had he would never have done this,” Ms. Conant said. “It will have an incredible affect on the already crumbling infrastructure and it just doesn’t fit there however gorgeous some people think it is.”

It is unclear whether the Landmarks commission will make a decision today.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #333
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

“It will have an incredible affect on the already crumbling infrastructure and it just doesn’t fit there however gorgeous some people think it is.”

Seriously? Man NIMBYs always seem to talk out of their...
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #334
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28350

typical nimby bulls&*
It is the same argumentation as over here.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #335
Captain_Skyhawk_22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Not really tall but the design is so New York... I love it!
Captain_Skyhawk_22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #336
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

I still dont get the existence of NIMBYs in * M A N H A T T A N *, it is so 'against the grain'. Friggin NIMBYs should move to the middle of nowhere and GET THE HELL OUT OF NYC!!!!
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #337
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Seriously, if you are a NIMBY, move the hell out of NYC.

Go to South Dakota. Or Wyoming. Or Montana.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #338
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

to make the Nimby happy. why doesn't the MOMA just buy the houses, that are shadowed by the build. And give those people a nice lil condo in their brand new building. That would make me happy. On a realier note, I don't understand how the Nimby has so much power in the city. I long for the days of the 1930's where they would walk over u just to get a skyscraper of this size built.

You know what the real problem is the Nimby aren't real New Yorkers. People who were born in the city don't bitch about things that are everyday there. Only the outsides do that. New yorker don't care if u block out the sky with big azz buildings. I mean I wouldn't mind it the taller the better.
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #339
desiderio_100578

Likes (Received): 0

The good side of me says;it's such a great building and it fits so damn well to NYC!I hope it will get built...
The nasty side of me says;Let's hope these idiots will sink the project so that Nouvel can build it in Paris...
No seriously ,it has something of a twenty first century Eiffel tower don't you think??
Good luck to you guys
desiderio_100578 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM   #340
AUTO

Likes (Received): 1479

The best New York project IMO, I cross my fingers for that project. You must bulit it!
AUTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre