daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #681
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Last edited by Jay; August 16th, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #682
Clément

Likes (Received): 0

Please New York, go for elegance and take the Nouvel design! It also fits much better with the MOMA next door!
Clément no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #683
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

I hope this Nouvel's design is picked. If WTC 2 and 3 are cancelled we will need this stunning piece in New York.
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #684
Killatown

Likes (Received): 166

that tower is nyc to me is too beautifull
Killatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #685
dkrager

Likes (Received): 0

I agree. My initial response was to be startled. At first glimpse it looked to be bombed out, on the verge of collapse. Then it looked inviting. Like a portion of the building has opened up begging closer scrutiny. It invites examination. That's good architecture!
dkrager no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #686
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman View Post
I hope this Nouvel's design is picked. If WTC 2 and 3 are cancelled we will need this stunning piece in New York.
If anything, they're just on hold though I suspect that Foster's tower will be built now.
dnobsemajdnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #687
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Let's do it.

- A
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #688
aceflamingo23
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

That looks like some kind of evil fortress or something.
aceflamingo23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #689
deez

Likes (Received): 2

Take off 200 feet...

MINUS 200 FEET---
http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...200-foot-chomp
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #690
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #691
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

what a shame cutting this beautiful and innovative (in design) tower! it seems to me that in nyc a few stupid people have too much power! (i think they are called nimbys if i'm not mistaken) nyc needs more supertalls (3,4 in 300m range; 4,5 in 400m range --- for the next decade)! i really like this city but unfortunately it seems that nyc is kind of "slowing down" (construction, innovation etc.).
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #692
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4217

now this is sad news..
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #693
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Planning Commission Votes for a Shorter Skyscraper Next to MoMA

By The New York Times
September 9 2009

The New York City Planning Commission voted Wednesday morning to cut 200 feet off a proposed Jean Nouvel tower that was to have rivaled the Empire State Building in height. The tower, being built by the international real estate developer Hines, is planned for a site next to the Museum of Modern Art.

In comments made in advance of the vote and reported yesterday on the Web site of The New York Observer, Edith Hsu-Chen, the director of the Manhattan office of the Department of City Planning said that although the overall design of the building is “exemplary,” the commission is concerned about its effect on the skyline, and does not feel that the top of the tower—originally slated to reach 1,250 feet, about the same height as the city’s tallest building minus its antenna — “merits being in the zone of the Empire State Building’s iconic spire.”
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-next-to-moma/

Well I'd settle for that, 1,050 is still quite tall. They do have a point with the Empire State Building, in preserving the historic nature of that side of the city...
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #694
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #695
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

I'll settle for it as well the most important thing is that this beauty gets build fast. I realy love tot sea a beauty like this rise since the beekman place is going to be finished soon and WTC 1, 2 and 3 will take over 100 years to complete this will keep skyscraper fans focused on New York!!!
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #696
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarulez View Post
what a shame cutting this beautiful and innovative (in design) tower! it seems to me that in nyc a few stupid people have too much power! (i think they are called nimbys if i'm not mistaken) nyc needs more supertalls (3,4 in 300m range; 4,5 in 400m range --- for the next decade)! i really like this city but unfortunately it seems that nyc is kind of "slowing down" (construction, innovation etc.).
That will never happen. For whatever reason, New Yorkers don't want mega-tall buildings like those built in Asia or the Middle East. Anyway, this is one of three 300+meter buildings that are about to rise within a few blocks of each other.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #697
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
That will never happen. For whatever reason, New Yorkers don't want mega-tall buildings like those built in Asia or the Middle East. Anyway, this is one of three 300+meter buildings that are about to rise within a few blocks of each other.
Totally, Totally, Totally do agree with you! beautifully said and done, thanks.

Not everything tall or taller is better or prettier! in my eyes, most of these Supertalls either under construction or already constructed across the Middle East and Chinca are hidiously ugly.

As a skyscraper lover and an Architecture enthousiast, I rather pay hundreds of dollars or Euro's to just wander around NYC, refill, reload my soul and regain energy and rejuvenite rather than getting sick and puke across Shanghai or Beijing or Dubai.

Let's face it, all that is BEAUTIFUL, is located in NYC and all that set a tendency or meant anything to the world of Skyscrapers is located either inside NYC or somewhere else across USA and partially Canada!

Let's face it again, even European cities do copy NYC's structure and shape (with no luck off course), so having JNT cut a little bit shorter, won't make it any uglier or less interesting for me to come over, pay to see it and ABOVE ALL ENJOY IT INTENSIVELY!

For that part of NYC, Empire State was, is and will alway be the TOWER to behold and to look at. It is America, it resembles America's history, EST is the soul and unique spirit of New York City and may not be overshadowed by any taller structure that might eye boring.

NO Offence to anybody in NYC, I love you guys! I am outspoken and that is my opinion.

(I also find the same about CN Tower in Toronto. Hopefully Canadians won't get up and see some boring blue/greenish glassy spiry swirly flashy like supertall standing next to it, making it look like a bimbo!)

oh btw, I totally forgot, I like JNT very much. it is beautiful even though it is a transparant one, but hey, it has to be built next to MOMA, so that on itself, should be quite stunning and a work of art, right? it is ART! I like it
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #698
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
As a skyscraper lover and an Architecture enthousiast, I rather pay hundreds of dollars or Euro's to just wander around NYC, refill, reload my soul and regain energy and rejuvenite rather than getting sick and puke across Shanghai or Beijing or Dubai.
that's a bit offensive don't you think? you should come over here and see both cities with your own eyes, you will be surprised - i promise you that!

see also here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/ar...ding.html?_r=1

Quote:
Does Manhattan have a future as a great metropolis?

If you hope the answer is yes, you will be disheartened by the City Planning Department’s decision on Wednesday to chop off 200 feet from the top of a proposed tower next door to the Museum of Modern Art on 53rd Street in Manhattan.

Designed by Jean Nouvel, the building would have been as tall as the Empire State Building minus its antenna, a fact that probably made planners tremble. Amanda Burden, the city planning commissioner, said the tower’s top, which culminates in three uneven peaks, did not meet the aesthetic standards of a building that would compete in height with the city’s most famous towers. And who, after all, wants to be responsible for ruining the most famous skyline in the world?

Still, the notion of treating the Midtown skyline as a museum piece is more disturbing. The desire of each new generation of architects and builders to leave its mark on the city, to contribute its own forms, is essential to making New York what it is. The soaring height and slender silhouette of Mr. Nouvel’s tower not only captured the spirit of Midtown — the energy and hubris that transformed this island into a monument to American cosmopolitanism — it also brought that spirit forcefully into the present.

Mr. Nouvel’s design was conceived as a giant spire, like the Empire State’s but without the boxy building. Supported by a matrix of interwoven steel beams reminiscent of a spider’s web, it tapers jaggedly as it rises, evoking a shard of glass. The beams are flush with the building’s glass surface, giving it a taut muscular appearance; an underground restaurant and lounge, visible from the sidewalk, root the structure to the site.

The design’s beauty stemmed from its elegant proportions, particularly the exaggerated relationship between its small footprint and enormous height. Seen from the street, its receding facades would have induced a delicious sense of vertigo.

Ms. Burden’s objections were directed at the top of the building. “Members of the commission had to make a decision based on what was in front of them,” she said. “The development team had to show us that they were creating something as great or even greater than the Empire State Building and the design they showed us was unresolved.”

It’s true that aspects of the design had yet to be developed fully. The three peaks were too symmetrical, which gave them a slightly static appearance. And they could have been sharpened to finer points. But Mr. Nouvel, one of the profession’s most creative forces, would have been more than capable of dealing with these issues.

With the new height restriction in place, though, his original design concept will surely be diminished. And the loss of as much as 150,000 square feet of floor space could also lead to cuts in the design budget, which could mean cheaper materials and more cramped interiors. Or, just as bad, it could push Hines, the building’s developer, into finding a way to pack more space onto the lower floors, which could further distort the building’s proportions.

But the greater sadness here has to do with New York and how the city sees itself. Both the Empire State and Chrysler buildings, built during the Great Depression, were celebrated in their time as emblems of the city’s fortitude. The Freedom Tower, our era’s most notable contribution to the skyline, is a symbol of posturing and political expediency. And now a real alternative to it, one of the most enchanting skyscraper designs of recent memory, may well be lost because some people worry that nothing in our current age can measure up to the past. It is a mentality that, once it takes hold, risks transforming a living city into an urban mausoleum.
as i said before, nyc has been cut off to the global skyscraper race...

Last edited by HK999; September 10th, 2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: adendum
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #699
BlackLukes

Likes (Received): 18

What a medieval decision... I'd have never expected that, especially in nyc.

Milan StreetView - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
BlackLukes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #700
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLukes View Post
What a medieval decision... I'd have never expected that, especially in nyc.
If anything, NYC is the only place in the US where this would happen. NIMBYs are very powerful in NY, and there is strenuous opposition to very tall towers.

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre