daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #701
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Skyscrapers need not be supertall to be magnificent. London is building some great ones and none of them are supertall. The tallest is the Shard which will be as tall as the Torre Verre.
dnobsemajdnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #702
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
Totally, Totally, Totally do agree with you! beautifully said and done, thanks.

Not everything tall or taller is better or prettier! in my eyes, most of these Supertalls either under construction or already constructed across the Middle East and Chinca are hidiously ugly.

As a skyscraper lover and an Architecture enthousiast, I rather pay hundreds of dollars or Euro's to just wander around NYC, refill, reload my soul and regain energy and rejuvenite rather than getting sick and puke across Shanghai or Beijing or Dubai.
Um have you even been there? Beijing for example has only one supertall (and that's exactly 300 metres). The city has lots of nice highrises. Old and new. And I've been to Shanghai last month and it was so nice. Lots of beautiful art deco buildings. I wouldn't mind living there. Of course that doesn't make New York less atractive. I think both city's are excellent world cities to live in.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #703
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
This is not correct. You have shown an increase in overall size (including the width), rather than a vertical stretch which is what was proposed – given that the size of the plot didn’t increase.

I think a taller version would have made the tower look too slender. 1,050ft is a good height, and the proportions look great too.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #704
MissyC

[QUOTE=chinarulez;42881662]that's a bit offensive don't you think? you should come over here and see both cities with your own eyes, you will be surprised - i promise you that!

OH No No, don't get me wrong. I didn't want to offend you Chinarulez. (speaking of which, china ruling what? the world!?)

No, I mean as a city and I did define my thoughts by adding " architecturaly speaking" to my comment.

I 've been to Shanghai and to Beijing too, I am sure they r making some great progress although those 10 days I was in China, I didn't see any skyscraper as the air was so polluted you could hardly see your own hand, (it was also during the winter time and cloudy!)

I am sure there are lots and lots of supertall enthousiasts who would love to pay 1000's of dollars to visit both cities and pay to see those buildings, but I won't. Neither Shanghai or Beijing did inspire me. I don't know what is missing there, some sort of an X factor!?! I dont know.

We are talking NYC here and I shall apologize again and leave this thread to be continuing its topic.
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #705
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Um have you even been there? Beijing for example has only one supertall (and that's exactly 300 metres). The city has lots of nice highrises. Old and new. And I've been to Shanghai last month and it was so nice. Lots of beautiful art deco buildings. I wouldn't mind living there. Of course that doesn't make New York less atractive. I think both city's are excellent world cities to live in.
I agree with you in regard to the old bldg's and art deco history of the city.
However though, I find Hong Kong VERY EXCITING! it has the " X" factor. What it is I don't know, but even if they switch off all those sounds and songs and illuminations and just let the buildings speak out, still you 've something to really look after to and give your eyes a real treat.

The emphisys is that a skyscraper shouldn't be TOO TALL or THAT TALL to be beautiful indeed.

This buildings design reminds me of an elegant Cranebird or a Swan or a glass Serpant heads up to look around and observe. I hope there will be an observatory inside and atop of it. I am sure the view from that observatory and in regard to its unique location, will be AWESOME AND A MAJOR hit for the tourists to pour in, something that NYC always can use and benefti off course. I LOVE this building's design anyway, taller or shorter!
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #706
zoomzoom

Likes (Received): 0

Hell if this means it'll actually get built, I don't mind cutting 200 off of it. It'll still be over 1000.
zoomzoom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #707
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Sadly, the seemingly best project in the U.S. keeps getting more and more f'ed up I agree with the article and that the height restriction could be disastrous for its design
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #708
MissyC

no matter what, it is a grand breaking idea... the Gustav Eiffel's design alike of NYC
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #709
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

They pretty much work themselve into getting the height they wanted in the first place so they pretty much out smart the Nimby who I'm sure if they had it there way this building would only be about 800 feet. it better off these way anyway.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #710
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
The design should not change. The new height is the same as when it was proposed originally and basically looked like the same tower.
But I agree with the article, the design could change. Everything could change about it. The big one is the materials. Thats the key to look out for even if the appearance is the same, different materials could make it a totally different story.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #711
pokistic

Likes (Received): 4

I hope these people will just move out of midtown! What that hell are they living there for if they do not like tall buildings!!!

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...-quinn-tv-ads#

Nouvel/MoMA Tower Opponents Target Quinn in TV Ads

By Eliot Brown
October 5, 2009 | 1:02 p.m

It seems opponents of the Jean Nouvel-designed skyscraper planned to rise next to MoMA are well-funded.

The opponents, mostly neighbors of the 1,050-foot tower-to-be, are hitting the airwaves Monday with a television ad that directly targets Council Speaker Christine Quinn, urging her to oppose the development, planned to be built by the Texas firm Hines. The ad buy comes a day before the City Council holds a hearing on the building, which needs Council approval to go forward.

The building has elicited impassioned reactions from both the architectural community, which generally loves it, and neighbors, who detest it, saying it is grossly out of scale.

“This tower will overwhelm the neighborhood and crowd streets. Christine Quinn: Say no,” the ad says, narrated by a deep voice that seems at home in a negative political ad. “Air rights are sold off and the people are sold out. Christine Quinn: Say no.”

The politics of the tower are slightly more complicated than normal. The Council often defers to the local member on land-use decisions, and, in this case, the local is Ms. Quinn. But the constituents who are most upset and loudest—members of the West 54th - 55th Street Block Association—are in the district of Councilman Dan Garodnick.

Neither Ms. Quinn nor Mr. Garodnick have taken a strong stand either way on the MoMA tower. Last month City Planning Commission chairwoman Amanda Burden took an action that Council members often seek when they’re looking for a compromise: she decreased the height of the tower by 200 feet. (While many in the architectural and development communities have denounced that move, the opponents, who have formed a group called the Coalition for Responsible Midtown Development, called the height chop insignificant, noting the tower would still be as tall as the Chrysler Building.)

A spokesman for Ms. Quinn, Anthony Hogrebe, said in a statement that the Council would be looking for a balance. "As always, the Council will be working to find an appropriate balance, providing for development that addresses the needs of the community," he said.
pokistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #712
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Looks like MOMA wants their 200 feet back.

Nouvel/Hines to Ask Council for Their 200 Feet Back on MoMA Tower
By Eliot Brown
October 6, 2009 | 9:19 a.m.

The Jean Nouvel-designed skyscraper planned to rise next to MoMA goes before the City Council today for a hearing, where, according to a person informed of the decision, developer Hines Interests plans to request that its original height be restored.

The request comes after City Planning Commission chairwoman Amanda Burden chopped 200 feet off the top of the tower, which was to rise to 1,250 feet, the height of the Empire State Building. And it’s a bit of a reverse of the usual scenario: Typically, when developers reach the Council—the last stage in the city’s land-use approval process—the Council members negotiate with them to make their project smaller, not bigger.

It's probably important to note that 1,250 hasn't always been its height. Back in 2008, when the project went through the Landmarks Preservation Commission, the developer put its planned height at 1,155 feet; so before it shrunk by 200 feet, it apparently grew by 95.

We’ll have more from the hearing later today.

[email protected]

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...ck-moma-tower#
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #713
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I hope so, because that tower with a lower height wouldnt look good IMO.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #714
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
Skyscrapers need not be supertall to be magnificent. London is building some great ones and none of them are supertall. The tallest is the Shard which will be as tall as the Torre Verre.
No? The shard is going to be 310m and this title clearly says 350. Quite a difference.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #715
BlackLukes

Likes (Received): 18

great news

Milan StreetView - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
BlackLukes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #716
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
No? The shard is going to be 310m and this title clearly says 350. Quite a difference.

350 was the old height, the new height is 320, and no that;s not a big difference.

but lets hope they get their 200 feet back
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #717
MissyC

so, are they going to build Tour de Verre or not? or will they change the whole design?

That will be really too sad. This tower is truly beautiful. It can be as iconic as ESB or Ch.B.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #718
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
so, are they going to build Tour de Verre or not? or will they change the whole design?

That will be really too sad. This tower is truly beautiful. It can be as iconic as ESB or Ch.B.
Meeting was yesterday but I don't know when we will expect answer. Someone help?

here is sad part ( losers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHwwRGQNUc
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #719
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Still don't know anymore than you do...

‘So Slim!’: Frenchman Begs Burden for Reprieve on His Chic Tower

NY Observer
By Eliot Brown
October 7, 2009

Jean Nouvel wants his 200 feet back. Mr. Nouvel, the bald Frenchman who won architecture’s esteemed Pritzker Prize in 2008, engaged in a last-ditch effort on Tuesday, Oct. 6, to save the 1,250-foot height of the tower he’s planned to have rise next to the Museum of Modern Art.

Four weeks after City Planning Commission chairwoman Amanda Burden put her own giant stamp on the project, chopping the allowed height to 1,050 feet, Mr. Nouvel went before a City Council subcommittee and pleaded to raise the tower’s height back up.

“You have to keep the city alive,” he said, speaking with a heavy French accent. “I try to respect the neighborhood. The building is so slim.” He was joined in his appeal by the project’s developer, the Texas-based Hines Interest, which claimed that a suddenly smaller building—brought down from the level of the Empire State Building to that of the Chrysler Building height—would threaten the economics of the situation.

But still, it wasn’t an all-out threat to scrap the tower.

The project manager for Hines, David Penick, was asked by Councilman Dan Garodnick flatly: “Can this building not be built at 1,050?”

His response? Six seconds of silence, followed by: “It’s—it’s very hard to say.”

Much will depend on the market, Mr. Penick added, in an almost refreshing bit of candor compared with the typical developer who comes before the Council and disingenuously pronounces that even the slightest change to his planned building would have an apocalyptic effect on his project.

After the hearing, Mr. Nouvel was kept muzzled by Hines, as Mr. Penick said to him on the way out, “Now, I don’t want you talking to reporters.”

He didn’t.

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...tower?page=all
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #720
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

The Frenchmen as so arrogant and stupid, who the hell that guy thinks he is to believe he can get his tower built in NY? (just kidding)

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre