daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM   #741
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
The fact that there are so many towers and that they're so densely packed in together is why people oppose more. Some streets are like dark canyons due to all of the buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
It really depends on the neighborhood some people don't want tall building near or around their houses.
well, if there is a cluster of tall buildins, there should be no problem to built more (supertall) towers. midtown and lower manhattan are the perfect place. of course 'some' people live in those areas, but the majority works there. and of course there is the problem with the NIMBYs, but there are 'special' people (for me: morrons / idiots) who oppose everything what is being built in their neighbourhood. the biggest mistake ever made was to give them so much power!

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #742
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Planning Ahead!

Amid flurry of major approvals, New York moves forward on the High Line

The City Planning Commission decided on four major development proposals yesterday (clockwise from left): the Hudson Yards, Kingsbridge Armory, MoMA Tower, and Broadway Triangle.
Courtesy Related; Hines

When the real-estate industry went into deep freeze, word had it that developers would use their recessionary downtime to get planning approvals in line for the uptick to come. And sure enough, New York’s City Planning Commission had a marathon day yesterday, approving the Related Companies’ Hudson Yards project and Kingsbridge Armory redevelopment, the rezoning of the Broadway Triangle in Brooklyn, new approvals for Jean Nouvel’s MoMA tower, and—the biggest surprise of the bunch—the announcement that the city was moving ahead on acquisition of the final stretch of the High Line.

The High Line news came just after commission chair Amanda Burden voted in favor of the re-rezoning of the western portion of the Hudson Yards, which had been designated for a stadium in 2005 as part of the city’s Olympic bid. Burden perked up noticeably when she made the announcement, declaring, “The vision of the High Line will not be realized until it extends all the way from Gansevoort Street to 34th Street. That’s why I’m pleased to announce that the city is preparing an application to acquire the final piece of the High Line.”

Burden added that she expects the process to be completed by the end of the year, at which point it will enter the public review process. The continuation of the elevated park, the first phase of which opened to great fanfare earlier this year, has been an open question throughout the Hudson Yards development process. While commensurate open space was required, some developers bidding on the project wanted to replace the High Line with a new park north of 30th Street, arguing its preservation would make building the deck over the rail yards more difficult.

Related, which took over the project after Tishman Speyer backed out last year, was ambivalent about including the High Line in its plans. The developer did seem to warm to the idea as the commission increasingly indicated that was the direction it was leaning, working language supportive of preservation into the rezoning in September. Until today’s announcement, though, nothing was assured.

Peter Mullan, director of planning for Friends of the High Line, said after the announcement that he was excited by the news, but more work remains. “This does not guarantee preservation, but it’s the beginning of the process to ensure preservation and the most significant and concrete step in the process,” Mullen said.

The city must now come to an agreement with CSX, the national railroad operator, to purchase the final stretch of track. No previous deal had been made because the tracks would have been demolished under the stadium plan, and then the city was unsure what action the developers would take.

As for Related’s massive project abutting the High Line, the commission approved changes to the 2005 rezoning, replacing the stadium with one commercial and seven residential towers surrounded by acres of open space, by a vote of 12-1. This will be a part of the completed Hudson Yards, which also includes a parcel east of 11th Avenue that was rezoned in 2005 for commercial and residential use.

The commission made some changes to the Related plan for the western yards that was certified in May, following criticism from the local community board and the borough president. In further deference to the High Line, one tower at the project’s southwest corner that would have straddled the elevated park has been pushed back and its height reduced, though it still overhangs the tracks by 50 feet (the Standard rises 30 feet above).

Changes were also made to the open space, which had been described as “too Bryant Park” by the board. Now, it will be more tightly integrated with the surrounding buildings, along with more seating and other minor changes. Burden also announced the assent of the School Construction Authority to develop a new primary school within the western development. Related could not be reached for comment about these changes.

“They heard everything we said,” Lee Compton, former chair of Community Board 4, told AN after the vote. “They did not agree with everything, though, and we’re going to continue to fight for them.”

The major sticking point, and the reason for the one dissenting vote, is affordable housing. “This project will contribute a number of important, positive aspects to the borough,” commissioner Karen Philips said. “But I am concerned by the lack of onsite affordable housing.” Related has pointed out that 600 units will be created off-site, but Compton said that those were promised during the 2005 rezoning. “To take credit for them would be double dipping,” he said. The community hopes to sway the City Council to require the developer to include more affordable housing, ideally within the site, when the council votes on the project in the next 50 days.

Things did not go as smoothly for Related’s Kingsbridge Armory, an old military hall in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx that has lain vacant for 15 years. The developer wants to turn the massive 57,500-square-foot building into a mall, including a 60,000-square-foot grocery store, which has drawn fire from two local grocers that fear it will put them out of business. Four commissioners sympathized with this issue and voted against the project, though it was still approved by 8-4 with one abstention.

During the meeting, the room was stormed by about two dozen unionists who have also been fighting Related for wage guarantees, along with the borough president Ruben Diaz, Jr., who was in the audience. The commission did not comment on this issue, but pressure will no doubt be brought to bear on the council. “I vote yes on this item trusting that progress on this project will continue,” commissioner Richard Eaddy said.

Another contentious community project was approved yesterday, this one with little uproar. Despite an alternative plan with the support of some 40 community groups, the commissioners approved the city’s rezoning application for the Broadway Triangle 11-1 with one abstention.

The commissioners who did speak up embraced the position of the community board, which argued that a good plan—with contextual zoning and nearly 1,000 potential units of affordable housing—was created in the worst of ways by the Department of Housing Preservation and Development, which largely ignored the community in the process. “We have had these issues with HPD in one manner or another in the past,” commissioner Irwin Cantor said. “I hope we don’t see HPD making similar errors in the future.”

As for Jean Nouvel’s midtown tower, it had already been approved in September, when the commission unexpectedly chopped 200 feet off the top, leaving it at 1,050 feet. Then, at City Hall two weeks ago, the council decided further changes needed to be made to the street-level facade, which had been more of a concern to the community all along.

Despite a personal plea from Nouvel to restore the full height of the tower, the council instead referred it back to the commission after reducing the hotel square footage from 150,000 square feet to 100,000, which eliminated the requirement for a loading dock on 54th Street. (The council also requested that MoMA make the wall to its sculpture garden more transparent and community friendly, something that has been a bone of contention since the expanded MoMA reopened in 2004, though that changes was not under the purvey off the commission.) The changes were approved unanimously, and the council is now expected to vote on them in the next few weeks.

links: http://archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=3944

N.Y will soon booming again !!!

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #743
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

Great news
Anberlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #744
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

MoMA 82-story tower approved by NYC Council
(AP) – 35 minutes ago

NEW YORK — The Museum of Modern Art's proposal for a new 82-story tower has cleared its final hurdle.

The New York City Council voted Wednesday to approve the plan for a 1000-foot mixed-use tower on West 53rd Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues. It was the final hurdle for the plan's approval process.

The museum already has its main exhibition space on that block.

The MoMA Web site says the museum will gain approximately 40,000 square feet of new gallery space — a 30 percent increase.

The building plan also calls for 150 residential apartments and 100 hotel rooms.

Architect Jean Nouvel designed the tower, which tapers as it rises to a spire.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ZTiWQD9BKATNG1
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #745
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Well at less we got that out of da way. Now we can start building
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #746
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

congrats NYC - another beaut.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #747
City of Rain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

crazy.

i have to say i think its way too tall and looks out of propotion, but whatever, congratulations new york!
City of Rain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #748
deq

Likes (Received): 2

NYC doesn't build the highest skyscrapers anymore, but I've always been of the opinion that the design is the most important, not the height. Other cities builds higher skyscrapers, but too often without an impressive design. That is not the case in NYC. NYC builds buildings of the highest class!

I completely love Tour de Verre!
deq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #749
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Well at less we got that out of da way. Now we can start building
I don't believe they've secured financing yet. That's going to be the next big hurdle for this one.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #750
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

A good source of financing would be to force the nimbys to pay for the 200' that they had lopped off this tower.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #751
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Can a mod please change the tilte? It's now approved, not just proposed. Thanks in advance.
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #752
dajumper
status imminent

Likes (Received): 5

reminds me of a creature's claw or rather.... it's so weird.... i love it!
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #753
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

finally, it's approved but with reduced height. the NIMBYs over there in nyc really suck, they all should be arrested and stuck into a high security prison! this tower is too beautiful to be cut so easily... they need to redesign it now.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #754
kingsc

^no they don't it was shorter before they made it that tall so in total they lost about 100 feet.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #755
BlackLukes

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarulez View Post
finally, it's approved but with reduced height. the NIMBYs over there in nyc really suck, they all should be arrested and stuck into a high security prison! this tower is too beautiful to be cut so easily... they need to redesign it now.
I totally agree, it's a shame. But definitely better than nothing

Milan StreetView - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
BlackLukes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #756
spectre000

Quote:
I don't think so. Wall Street is rebounding and very wealthy foreign buyers will flock to this project due to its quality and the very low dollar.

If this were proposed for Chicago, financing and sales would be a problem. It won't be in NY though.
There are several projects on hold in NYC because of lack of financing, more notable ones being 56 Leonard St, 99 Church St, and 2WTC and 3WTC. This one is a few years away from starting.
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #757
kingsc

99 church st and wtc 2 & 3 are being built by the same developer so of course they'd all be on hold at the sametime.
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #758
spectre000

Quote:
99 church st and wtc 2 & 3 are being built by the same developer so of course they'd all be on hold at the sametime.
That's a good point I'd forgotten. But it doesn't overlook the fact their just isn't much financing for projects like this right now. It's going to be awhile before this one starts.
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #759
spectre000

Quote:
You're in Minnesota, and yet, you're an expert on NY? 2 and 3 WTC are office buildings, and there is not demand for new space at this time. 56 Leonard and 99 Church might get financing some time soon. Unlike the Spire, they are not projects that must sell at 5 times the normal rate per square foot in NY in order to make a profit. The same holds true for the Torre Verre.

More importantly, as I noted, Wall Street is rebounding strongly, and the very weak dollar will lead to extensive sales to foreign buyers. It has been well-documented that Russians are returning to the NY property market en masse.

Lastly, Hines is an internationally known developer. This project will break ground within one year and will probably sell more than half the units early on at about $4,000/sf.
Believe what you want, we're all entitled to our opinions. No way I see this breaking ground in one year. No chance. Someday yes, but not in twelve months.

Just because I'm from Minnesota, doesn't mean I can't follow the news regarding another city. Don't be so arrogant and don't insult me.
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #760
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Your love affair with Chicago is sickening. You should really give it a rest. This a proposed/approved building in NYC in case you didn't know.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre