daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #881
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

I totally agree with HK999.

when you stand in front of a building it doesn't matter if it's 300 meter high or 500 meter high. you only realize the difference with some distance.
New York doesn't need needles that stand out of it's skyline, same with HK.
This building has a perfect height and I can't think of a New York skyscraper with a similary design. I think that this building will be a great addition.
OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #882
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 22

How long till we see the shorter version design?

And what is the timeline on this one... as in when is construction expected to begin? Surely they wanna get it up ASAP. Hines (with MoMA) is behind the property, no?
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #883
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve View Post
How long till we see the shorter version design?

And what is the timeline on this one... as in when is construction expected to begin? Surely they wanna get it up ASAP. Hines (with MoMA) is behind the property, no?
Last month, Nouvel stated that he is working on the revised design. I'd guess that construction will start in about a year since the ultra-high end housing market is recovering in NY.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #884
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
That's just not true. Dubai has a massive and growing port, airport, and are developing a diversified economy. People get too distracted by the glitzy towers without realizing that below is a city of 1.7 million that will have 5 million by 2030. And the construction workers live outside the city in company compounds.

But getting back to the topic, this tower attracted NIMBYs who are still furious over the Museum Tower that MoMA built over its air rights in the '80s. They drew the line at this one but what's crazy is that it will still be twice as tall as Museum Tower! The thinking is that some very powerful NY'ers that don't live in the neighborhood were against anything that would rival the ESB. Another Midtown supertall proposal 20 years ago met the same fate because it was much taller than the ESB.

In 2030 Dubai well be a ghost town. Remember the auto boom in Detriot and the steel boom in Pittsburg. The population of those city were in the millions. It had much to do with the industry and amount of work during the period. But when the work started to subside, people started looking else where for work, moving to other cities. And since those city relied on one product they had a hard time bouncing back. If Dubai doesnt want to end up like those cities in 20 years it's
going to need more then what it has now.

But that's beside the point it going be a few years before see this built and who know what kind of changes they'll make

Last edited by kingsc; May 25th, 2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: half asset it
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #885
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
In 2030 Dubai well be a ghost town remember the auto and steel boom in Detriot and Pittsburg. At those time both city were massive, people run when there was work. When oil become a died product all the country who only income is from oil well fall apart.

But that's beside the point it going be a few years before see this built and who know what kind of changes they'll make
he just said dubai is a port and a diversified economy
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #886
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
In 2030 Dubai well be a ghost town remember the auto and steel boom in Detriot and Pittsburg. At those time both city were massive, people run when there was work. When oil become a died product all the country who only income is from oil well fall apart.

Em, don't talk about what you don't understand. Oh, and type properly -- you come across as confusing.

Everyone knows Dubai's future is services, logistics and tourism -- it hardly has any oil as of now. That is what this boom is all about, creating a future beyond oil. Have you seen how they are using their airport as a global hub transfer point?
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #887
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorldResident View Post
I totally agree with HK999.

when you stand in front of a building it doesn't matter if it's 300 meter high or 500 meter high. you only realize the difference with some distance.
New York doesn't need needles that stand out of it's skyline, same with HK.
This building has a perfect height and I can't think of a New York skyscraper with a similary design. I think that this building will be a great addition.

Therefore, what's the point of reducing it? The 380m design would still have been privately funded. Indeed above 200m, even from the other side of a street/avenue, most people really cannot say what a building's height is so... I'll ask again: why reduce it!?

Self-loathing white liberal anti-Western declinism perhaps? Or am I the cynic here?
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #888
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakai View Post
he just said dubai is a port and a diversified economy
I got what he saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Em, don't talk about what you don't understand. Oh, and type properly -- you come across as confusing.

Everyone knows Dubai's future is services, logistics and tourism -- it hardly has any oil as of now. That is what this boom is all about, creating a future beyond oil. Have you seen how they are using their airport as a global hub transfer point?
I fully understand. And I know what they're trying to do, it not going to work. All cities have their period of growth but it never last. But let them worry about that, I'm worried about them changing the design so much that it isn't the same tower we fought for.

Last edited by kingsc; May 25th, 2010 at 03:28 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #889
Rumors

Likes (Received): 1682

I just love that building.
Rumors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #890
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
Therefore, what's the point of reducing it? The 380m design would still have been privately funded. Indeed above 200m, even from the other side of a street/avenue, most people really cannot say what a building's height is so... I'll ask again: why reduce it!?

Self-loathing white liberal anti-Western declinism perhaps? Or am I the cynic here?
you're right, there's no point of reducing the height. the NIMBYs were trying to kill this tower from the very beginning, unfortunately they have too much power in NYC. still, this city will (or more precisely must) continue to grow with or without those pitiful, short minded people. all in all we can count ourselves very lucky that tower verre is still on track and wasn't killed completely.
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #891
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

As long as the tower keeps its proportions, it's just fine. 1050 is still Chrysler height.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #892
marcopolo
◜◝◟◞◜◝◟◞◜

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
- 2WTC (390m roof, 414m spire, construction starting this summer)
marcopolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #893
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
As long as the tower keeps its proportions, it's just fine. 1050 is still Chrysler height.
I agree. The City's approval is conditioned upon the developers' retaining the same basic shape. Thus, it will be beautiful and tall. 1,050 is a tall building. Everyone was thrilled with this proposal when it was first unveiled years ago at around 1,050, and everyone in London is thrilled with Piano's Pinnacle which is just over 300m.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #894
kingsc

the building itself is a piece of art which is fitting for MOMA. It didn't need to takeover the sky. Some height are just right and 1050 feet is just right for this building.
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #895
ArrHo

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
OMO the biggest cheaters were the petronas towers and taipei 101...so we can forgive those ones.
Yeah i hate the rules that stated those cheaters were "taller" than the Willis Tower (Sears), just a rip off. heres an example:
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #896
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5604

I disagree with you being that rough with the Taipei 101. The "spire" isn't just decorative, unlike the ones on the Petronas Towers, it hosts a 730tons steel ball that acts as a counterweight. It allows the tower to sustain earthquakes and typhoons! It's a pure insane feat of engineering and just because of this the Taipei 101 deserved its world's status.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...s/news/1612252
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #897
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

The counterweight is not located inthe spire it is located under it, where the red arrow points to.

[IMG]http://i47.************/2a6ow0w.jpg[/IMG]

So the spire itself has just decorative purposes, but on the other hand the Taipei 101 would look dull without it, so the Petronas. We definately need refreshed deffinitions of "the tallest...". Sorry for getting too off topic.
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #898
Matthieu
Administrateur

It's all down to where the spire begins, in all cases the damper is located above the highest floor.
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #899
ExclusiveOne

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
I disagree with you being that rough with the Taipei 101. The "spire" isn't just decorative, unlike the ones on the Petronas Towers, it hosts a 730tons steel ball that acts as a counterweight. It allows the tower to sustain earthquakes and typhoons! It's a pure insane feat of engineering and just because of this the Taipei 101 deserved its world's status.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...s/news/1612252
Yes I certainly agree about Tapei 101 but the Petronas was overkill.

I wish the Sears Tower & the original 1WTC did what the new 1WTC will do, have the antenna encased in the spire. They were both 1,729-1,730 feet tall.
ExclusiveOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #900
Matthieu
Administrateur

My opinion exactly, the Taipei 101 is a pure wonder of engineering IMO. The Petronas towers, I'd have a more reserved opinion.

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre