daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM   #901
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrHo View Post
Yeah i hate the rules that stated those cheaters were "taller" than the Willis Tower (Sears), just a rip off. heres an example:
I agree. So why don't they just include antannaes in the height? Then Sears would be taller then Tapei 101 or Petronas.

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #902
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I don't personally support the inclusion of spires or antennae. Height should be determined by the highest point of inhabited or functional structure.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:19 PM   #903
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

That would be unfair for some buildings. Burj would have been counted as 600m or so. And it has not only spire above that but also one piece of building. For me its logic to count either all, or nothing. That really looks moronish, when some buildings have spire, and some "anntena". All of them are attached to the structure, regardless of how they're called. Thats true some of the developers cheets using spire to gain more attention (hey, burj is one huge spire cheeter ). But that doesn't change the fact that spires/antennas are constantly attached to the buildings, so they are part of them.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM   #904
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

The Shanghai tower roof is around 585m or something like that, but the building's walls continue beyond. It is counted as a spire, but should it be?

NYC had a chance to do this with the FT, and I am dissapointed they didn't do a false building structure to 500m to give the appearance of greater height without the need for more office space. It just seems like they gave into the terrorists by building to the same roof height as before.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM   #905
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

You have a very odd definition of "giving in to terrorists."

Building that old monstrosity with missing floors seems more consistent with a losing spirit than the current design.
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #906
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
You have a very odd definition of "giving in to terrorists."

Building that old monstrosity with missing floors seems more consistent with a losing spirit than the current design.
No. I mean building the tower to current roof but w/ extended outer walls higher but with no cage structure to give appearance of a taller building like Shanghai tower....get it sparky?

To me NY aimed too low and had no ambition...it has become complacent w/ its position in the world and will be sorry some day when other cities have far surpassed it. If not for the height limit of 2000ft, the USA should have a tower to challenge China or Dubai by now. But USA has a limit and no building will ever pass 2000ft, sorry to say.

Last edited by aquablue; June 4th, 2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #907
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

You seem to be under the sad impression that skyscrapers are all that make a city. New York has absolutely no reason to "challenge" anything in China or Dubai. As a matter of fact, I'd say the new WTC is leagues beyond anything being built in either of those countries.

You ask people where the tallest building in the world is, they'll probably say Dubai. You ask people what the capital of the world is, they might be more inclined to answer New York.

Last edited by Uaarkson; June 7th, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #908
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5604

Quote:
You ask people what the capital of the world is, they might be more inclined to answer New York.
You're going to make yourself a lot of buddies on this forum .
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #909
REAPER666 94
Reaper

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
You seem to be under the sad impression that skyscrapers are all that make a city. New York has absolutely no reason to "challenege" anything in China or Dubai. As a matter of fact, I'd say the new WTC is leagues beyond anything being built in either of those countries.

You ask people where the tallest building in the world is, they'll probably say Dubai. You ask people what the capital of the world is, they might be more inclined to answer New York.
i agree
REAPER666 94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #910
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
You seem to be under the sad impression that skyscrapers are all that make a city. New York has absolutely no reason to "challenege" anything in China or Dubai. As a matter of fact, I'd say the new WTC is leagues beyond anything being built in either of those countries.

That's subject to opinion. A tiny minority (most likely American) will probably agree with you. Plus Dubai is one of seven emirates of the UAE, so it's not a country.
Myster E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #911
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

guys please keep the discussion on topic. everytime something is posted in this thread, i get excited beacause i think it's some news about tower verre. thx in advance.
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #912
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
That's subject to opinion. A tiny minority (most likely American) will probably agree with you. Plus Dubai is one of seven emirates of the UAE, so it's not a country.
I wasn't referring to Dubai as a country.
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #913
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
NYC is in danger of being complacent with its world position, that is all I am saying. NY doesn't need skyscrapers to be a great city, but skyscrapes made NY famous and are an important part of NY's greatness. NY must not fall asleep on this front. If not the greatest height anymore, at least the quality of design in NY has to improve and become more innovative.
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #914
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

And what is wrong with the design quality of New York's skyscrapers? If you think the ones going up in China and Dubai are masterpieces you have no business talking about architecture. If Carnegie 57 twisted or was set at an incline would that be considered "innovative" to you? What if it looked like it was dancing, or if it had all kinds of wild and wacky dimensions. Is that your idea of quality architecure? There could be anywhere between 6-10 supertalls under construction in NYC during this decade, possibly more. The recession slowed things down a bit, but the tall ones are well on their way.

What I'm trying to say here is that this "New York is becoming complacent with its position in the world" thing is complete, utter bullshit. The World Trade Center will be a global icon. Supertall #143 in China, or soulless, kitschy condo tower in Dubai will not.

Last edited by Uaarkson; June 4th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #915
eire1130

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
NYC is in danger of being complacent with its world position, that is all I am saying. NY doesn't need skyscrapers to be a great city, but skyscrapes made NY famous and are an important part of NY's greatness. NY must not fall asleep on this front. If not the greatest height anymore, at least the quality of design in NY has to improve and become more innovative.
I really must disagree with your entire piece.

Skyscrapers hardly made NYC famous. Skyscrapers were a consequence of NYC being an important city for many different industries.

The tall buildings are iconic, and I have the privilege to work in the ESB, but the tall buildings are a small part of what makes New York, New York.

And "NY must not fall asleep on this front"? Have you read any of the other threads in this forum? There are skyscrapers going up all over this city, downtown and midtown. There's at least two supertall projects that are moving forward and probably a half dozen or more skyscraper projects with about a dozen highrise buildings that aren't even in the highrise forum because in New York building a highrise is sort of like building a swimming pool in the suburbs - no one really takes notice.

I agree that quality of design is important, but I think we are seeing that in many of the projects going up currently. At least certainly not the boxy behemoths along 6th avenue in the 50s. And even those buildings serve a utilitarian purpose.

With a city of 8M people and 24M commuters I'm not too worried about NYC losing its place as the preeminent place to do business for the next 100 years.

At the end of the day, people will still watch movies about New York while growing up and say to themselves: "Wow, I wished I could live in New York for just one year someday" and many will do it. I don't think that same mystique will come even close for Dubaii ever.

NYC continues to be an important place for many industries and is becoming an important destination for many more as time goes on. So long as New York can attract and retain fresh talent, New York will continue to be where it was the last 100 years.
eire1130 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #916
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3046

come on guys back on topic, this argument has nothing to do with this tower......
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #917
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Sorry. But every time someone comes on this forum and starts in with the preposterous notion that New York needs to be building skyscrapers to compete and retain its global position I can't keep quiet. It's infuriatingly naive.

Last edited by Uaarkson; June 6th, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #918
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
You said in either of those countires from your earlier quote, anyway, let's leave it at that and just hope that this takes off in no time!
Myster E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #919
marvinganalon
BANNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1PTISlYito watch this funny
marvinganalon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #920
markybee0

Wow - amazing

Wow,what an amazing building.It dwarfs all the other buildings around it.
Looks kinda strange though from certain angles.

The americans keep building these skyscrapers bigger and better each time despite the fact they cannot afford them.Its not helping their financials.
markybee0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre