daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #941
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
Stupid NIMBYs- good thing they NYC wasn't built according to their wish, or it would have looked like this:
that's so true!!! Honestly all of their arguments are full of crap and don't understand why anyone would give them the time of day....
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #942
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

By the way I love this building!!!!
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #943
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

because they're trying to building in their neighborhood
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #944
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
, poor NIMBYs. carnegie 57 (306m), tower verre (320m), 225 West 57th Street (300m+) and other upcoming projects - nohting they can do about it. bad times for them, good times for us!
Don't forget 5 WTC which will exceed 300m and 15 Penn Plaza which will be about 365m!

url]http://www.dnainfo.com/20100616/manh...l-pennsylvania[/url]

City Will Vote July 14 on Plan to Raze Hotel Pennsylvania
The City Planning Commission will vote on whether to allow Vornado to turn the Pennsylvania Hotel into a 67-story office tower.

By Jill Colvin
June 16, 2010

Quote:
The Hotel Pennsylvania, one of the most storied hotels in the city, where the Glenn Miller Orchestra and Duke Ellington once played, could soon be closing its doors to make way for office floors and trading space.

Despite fierce opposition to the plan by Community Board 5 and area residents, the City Planning Commission is set to make a decision on whether the project will move forward on July 14.

Under the plan, the 22-story, 1,700-room hotel, which stands around the corner from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station, would be razed to make way for a 67-story office tower.

The project, known as 15 Penn Plaza, would also include moving several subway entrances and re-opening an underground passageway under the south side of 33rd Street that would connect the Sixth and Seventh Ave. subway lines and the PATH trains.

The project is slated to be completed by 2014, according to an environmental impact statement filed with the planning commission.

Midtown resident Gregory Jones, who has spent more than three years fighting Vornado Realty Trust's plans, says that losing the hotel would be a huge blow to New York's history.

"I look around New York City and all I see is new buildings going up. What I don't see is New York of old, the old history, the old buildings," said Jones, who leads the Save The Hotel Pennsylvania Foundation.

"They don't care about our history," he said of Vornado, which acquired full rights to the hotel in 1999 and refused to comment on the project — its second attempt to develop the site.

When the hotel opened its doors in 1919, it was rumored to be the largest in the world. It boasted the world’s first “high rise” elevators and drew top entertainers, according to a Community Board 5 Landmarks Committee review.

In April, the board sent a letter to the Chair of the Department of City Planning urging the committee to vote against the project, citing concerns over overcrowding, traffic and noise.

They also maintained it would "set a troubling precedent and a tipping point for future development in the area."

But Borough President Scott Stringer overruled the Board, announcing his "conditional approval" of the project in May.

The site is "an excellent location for high density commercial growth," he maintained.

In 2007, the board's Landmarks Committee tried to landmark the building, but its petition was denied by the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission in February the next year, the New York Observer reported at the time.

As of now, the building's fate is up in the air.

If the plan is approved by the City Planning Commission, it will then have to be reviewed by the City Council, Wally Rubin, district manager of Community Board 5, said.

But Jones is expecting the worst. "The outlook looks really bleak," he said. "This is a done deal, I think."
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #945
kingsc

Now you know this doesn't belong here
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #946
RobertWalpole
BANNED

With this good news regarding the strong demand for high-end apartment sales, hopefully, this tower will start construction in 2011.

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...d=ashDLS676rPE

Manhattan $10 Million Housing Market Has No Bargains
By Oshrat Carmiel and Ashley Lutz

June 24 (Bloomberg) -- It took Stephane Melloul three days to learn he’d need about $50 million for the New York home of his dreams: four bedrooms, a terrace and Central Park views.

Melloul, president of London-based credit rating company Notalia, started this week expecting to spend as little as $20 million. He raised his target after seeing just five Manhattan properties that met his criteria.

“I thought when I came here that the prices would be more compelling and more attractive, and actually they weren’t,” Melloul said, speaking in French in a telephone interview. Real estate broker Charlie Attias, a senior vice president of New York-based Corcoran Group, interpreted.

Manhattan’s super-luxury apartments, those sold for $10 million or more, outperformed the rest of the city’s housing market in the first quarter. The median price of the most expensive cooperatives and condominiums climbed 6.4 percent from a year earlier, compared with an 11 percent drop across all price ranges, according to an analysis of data provided to Bloomberg News by New York-based appraiser Miller Samuel Inc.

“There is always going to be demand for those units in the sense that they’re hard to come by,” said Gregory Heym, chief economist for Terra Holdings LLC, owner of property brokers Brown Harris Stevens and Halstead Property LLC. “Park and Fifth avenue buildings, the rarity of getting an availability in them, make them very desirable.”

New Neighborhoods

Leonard Steinberg, a managing director at New York-based Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate, said he sold two properties this year for more than $10 million and is working on another two. Buyers who once limited their search to the Upper East Side are now spending equivalent amounts in the city’s TriBeCa, Greenwich Village, SoHo and Chelsea neighborhoods, he said.

“The market has done a 180 from last year, when you had it drop pretty dramatically,” Steinberg said. “Buyers need confidence to buy, not money, and confidence has returned.”

The median price of 77 apartments sold for $10 million or more in 2009 was $12.8 million, according to the analysis of Miller’s data. So far in 2010, 28 units sold for a median of $13.2 million.

Two Buildings

The median price of apartments in the $10 million-plus range has been pretty steady, between about $12.5 million and $13.6 million since 2002, with the exception of 2007 and 2008. In those years, the median hit $14 million, an anomaly set by sales at the Plaza and 15 Central Park West, two buildings that opened at the same time and together more than doubled the typical number of $10-million-plus transactions in Manhattan.

Of the 240 sales above $10 million in 2008, 30 percent were at 15 Central Park West and 10 percent were at the Plaza, said Sofia Song, vice president of research at property website StreetEasy.com.

“There was nothing like it before those two projects and nothing like it after,” Song said.

Resales now make up the bulk of transactions above $10 million, she said.

At 15 Central Park West, the condominium towers that rock star Sting and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Chief Executive Officer Lloyd Blankfein call home, a 25th floor unit sold for $13.7 million in January. That’s more than double what the previous owner paid in 2007, according to city records.

Central Park Views

Apartments in the building, designed by architect Robert A.M. Stern, include some with panoramic views of Central Park and all originally featured herringbone wood floors and six- burner Thermador ranges.

At nearby Time Warner Center, where owners share services with the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, a three-bedroom condo just went into contract for $5,400 a square foot. It marks the second-highest amount paid by that measure for any unit in the complex, said Elizabeth Lee Sample, president of the building’s board and a managing director at broker Brown Harris.

“We have nothing to sell,” Sample said. “It’s just completely limited inventory.”

Melloul, 43, is helping his company open a New York office and would like to move from Paris with his wife and two daughters as soon as possible, he said.

He saw a “perfect” unit at 15 Central Park West for about $50 million, he said. He declined to be more specific.

Inventory Drop

Inventory in the general luxury market, defined by Miller Samuel as apartments of more than $2.87 million from March 31 through June 15, declined 13 percent in that period to 1,302, company president Jonathan Miller said. Overall city inventory rose 1.6 percent to 8,157 properties.

“The first quarter of 2010 was when in my view the luxury market really woke up,” said Miller. “The pace of growth wasn’t because of appreciation, it was because of the shift in the mix to larger units.”

Leighton Candler, a senior vice president for Corcoran who works exclusively on the Upper East Side and around Central Park, said her 25 years in the business have taught her the key to a healthy high-end market is property owners being willing to list their homes.

“In a bad market, the buyers aren’t looking, but just as important, the owners aren’t selling,” she said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Oshrat Carmiel in New York at [email protected]; Ashley Lutz in New York at [email protected]

Last Updated: June 24, 2010 15:46 EDT
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #947
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
With this good news regarding the strong demand for high-end apartment sales, hopefully, this tower will start construction in 2011.
i really hope it will! tower verre (together with beekman) is my favourite project in NY right now.
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #948
RobertWalpole
BANNED

According to the above-noted article and many others, strong demand for these units exists (and should continue to exist unless the worldwide economy plunges soon). Considering how unique this project is, it should find financing. Extell's first of its two 57th Street towers (i.e., Carnegie 57) is the first of the ultra-high-end projects to break ground. Presumably, Hines won't want to be the last one out of the gate considering that three other very high-end projects are planned for the area around Central Park: (1) Extell's other 57th Street tower; (2) the tower that will rise on East 57th and Park (i.e., the Drake site); and (3) Pelli's 220 Central Park South. Also, the Four Seasons Downtown and Herzog and de Meuron's TriBeCa tower, while somewhat cheaper, also will be pretty high end (e.g., $3,000/sf).
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #949
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I think it'll get financing pretty quickly when they release the re-design.
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:55 AM   #950
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I agree.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:02 AM   #951
kingsc

I'll wait to see if they **** the design up before I say that.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:24 AM   #952
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I doubt they will. They've been saying for a while now their goal is to redesign it at a smaller height while keeping the same proportions.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM   #953
sasa_taisa
Hardcore Gamer

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKALE View Post
I don't know if these renders have been posted yet , anyway enjoy:

i'm in love guys!
sasa_taisa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM   #954
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

seconded. This is one of the just fev really good current designs for New York. As I can't see annything special in Carnegie 57 this is mindblowing and really says NY. I hope it will get build as like on these renders
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #955
kingsc

Look the renders never change to 1250 feet, they always showed a building that was about 1050. You see that clearly thought out this thread. They add 100 feet 2x and never change the design.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:25 AM   #956
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Wow, the height of the Tower Verre declined even more, or is it just rumor?

Oh no, 15 Penn Plaza project will still be voted on by city? I hope NIMBYS not appear with all his strength in that vote.

Last edited by rencharles; July 3rd, 2010 at 06:32 AM.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM   #957
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3046

new york is really starting to get some nice modern towers!!!
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #958
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
, poor NIMBYs. carnegie 57 (306m), tower verre (320m), 225 West 57th Street (300m+) and other upcoming projects - nohting they can do about it. bad times for them, good times for us!
Carnegie 57 and Tower Verre will totally change the skyline from Central Park...

Old July 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #959
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
I doubt they will. They've been saying for a while now their goal is to redesign it at a smaller height while keeping the same proportions.
Exactly. Not only did Nouvel make that very point in an interview with him that I posted, but the City's order requires him to reproduce the same basic design but at the reduced height. See below:

The City Planning approvals that were enacted are based upon a design "which conform in all respects" to the plan as presented to CPC in 2009 ...

C 090431 ZSM [pdf]

IN THE MATTER OF an application submitted by W2005/Hines West Fifty-Third Realty, LLC
RESOLVED, by the City Planning Commission, pursuant to Sections 197-c and 200 of the New an application submitted by W2005/Hines West Fifty-Third Realty, LLC pursuant to Sections 197-c and 201 of the New York City Charter for the grant of a special permit pursuant to Sections 81-212 and 74-79 of the Zoning Resolution to allow the transfer of 136,000 square feet of floor area from property located at 1 West 54th Street (Block 1270, Lot 34) that is occupied by a landmark building (University Club) to property located at 53 West 53rd Street (Block 1269, Lots 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 20, 30, 58, 66, 69, and 165) to facilitate the development of a mixed use building, in C6-6, C5-P, C5-2.5 and C5-3 Districts, within the Special Midtown District (partially within the Preservation and Fifth Avenue Subdistricts) Borough of Manhattan, Community District 5 is approved subject to the following conditions ...

1. The property that is the subject of this application (C 090431 ZSM) shall be developed in accordance with:
(a) Plans prepared by SLCE Architects filed with this application (“Certification Plans”), modified as necessary to reflect a reduction of building height to a height of no more than 1050 feet, and to be consistent in all respects with the Modification Notes annexed hereto as Exhibit A, which plans are incorporated in this resolution ...
2. The Department of Buildings shall not issue any Permit for the Subject Development unless and until the Chair has certified that the Department has received a single set of consolidated and revised plans which conform in all respects to the provisions of Section 1 of this resolution.
C 090432 ZSM [pdf]

IN THE MATTER OF an application submitted by W2005/Hines West Fifty-Third Realty, LLC

EXHIBIT A
MODIFICATION NOTES
September 9th, 2009

1. Height & Overall Building Form

The height of the building shall be limited to a maximum of 1,050 feet, including all permitted obstructions. The form of the building shall be in accordance with the Approved Plans and the Supplemental Plans, as set forth in the Special Permit Resolution, as determined by the Chair pursuant to the procedure set forth in the Restrictive Declaration, and subject to the “Limitations” set forth below.
For purposes of the above, the term “in accordance” shall mean that the “Key Architectural and Design Features” enumerated below, and also as defined under the Restrictive Declaration, are fully reflected and incorporated in the building design, subject only to deviations as are consistent with the scale and relative proportions of such Key Architectural and Design Features as shown in the Approved Plans and Supplemental Plans.

The “Key Architectural and Design Features” are as follows:

 Sloped planes which are in number, relative location, orientation, and proportion to the overall building form as shown in Supplemental Plans Z-21, Z-25, Z-26, Z-28.

 A tower top with three distinct asymmetrical peaks, with each peak of varying height and shape, tapering to a narrow edge at the top. The tallest peak shall contain a vertex with an interior angle no greater than 27 degrees. The foregoing shall be in accordance with Supplemental Plan Z-27.

 A “Diagrid”, defined as an asymmetrical, non-orthogonal web pattern, including nodes with radial spokes. The Diagrid shall extend from the top of the building to the sidewalk, and shall be expressed in metal elements projecting beyond the exterior of the building over a curtain wall. The foregoing shall be in accordance with Supplemental Plans Z-21, Z-25 and Z-26

 Exterior walls constructed with a combination of non-mirrored insulated glass and painted aluminum elements.
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #960
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12567

When can we expect to see the bloody redesign?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre