daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1021
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

totally agree.....
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1022
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
Go NYC

midtown, with this and Carnegie built, would be one of the nicest architectural exhibition around. Old, new, boa, esb.
Don't forget this beauty.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1023
archnyer
Architecture Afficionado

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Nothing will be like ESB or Chrysler... No mather how tall they build.

They are "the pyramids" of Skyscraper History. If someone build (just because they can) several pyramids 3 times bigger than in Giza, they will be more famous and iconic? Never! Same thing with ESB or Chrysler, just can't beat them, no mather how huge, modern and glitzy are the new ones.
Yes, this is a point oft made and well said Luci. I tend to agree of course - there simply cannot be another time like the 30s. But there is hope. Tower Verre looks very inventive and interesting for something being built in the 2010s. In its own way it will become an icon "almost" as good as these other two.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #1024
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Yes I think Tour Verre has the architectural quality to stand alongside the Empire State Building or Chrysler, but it cannot match their place in history. Skyscrapers have become so common now around the world that probably none of the new towers will aquire the fame and stature of the early American classics.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #1025
palindrome

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Stop spamming your retarded forum, archnyer
or shall we say TikiNYC
palindrome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #1026
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Sun is overrated.
looks like you are lunetic.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #1027
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Who knows ? It might be better than the ESB.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #1028
red_eagle_1982
frustrated architect

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Yes I think Tour Verre has the architectural quality to stand alongside the Empire State Building or Chrysler, but it cannot match their place in history. Skyscrapers have become so common now around the world that probably none of the new towers will aquire the fame and stature of the early American classics.
Or perhaps, the post-modern world has not delivered a truly magnificent project to match that of ESB and Chrysler. I'm an optimist. I believe that our modern day great architects will deliver.
red_eagle_1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1029
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_eagle_1982 View Post
Or perhaps, the post-modern world has not delivered a truly magnificent project to match that of ESB and Chrysler. I'm an optimist. I believe that our modern day great architects will deliver.
No I disagree. I think we have lots of towers that are as magnificent. Buildings like Tower Verre, the Shard, SWFC, Khalifa, etc, are easily as impressive as Chrysler or ESB in terms of both architectural beauty and scale. However there are just so many amazing towers going up at once all over the world that it's harder to get noticed.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1030
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

Quote:
No I disagree. I think we have lots of towers that are as magnificent. Buildings like Tower Verre, the Shard, SWFC, Khalifa, etc, are easily as impressive as Chrysler or ESB in terms of both architectural beauty and scale. However there are just so many amazing towers going up at once all over the world that it's harder to get noticed.
i think he was just talking about new york not the whole world ( if he was talking about the whole world then i agree with you )
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1031
archnyer
Architecture Afficionado

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_eagle_1982 View Post
Well this is a big debate because the ESB was built in 1931 so it really is like the Pyramid at Giza of skyscrapers. Anything built today will have to be a lot better to be said to be better because anyone can build skyscrapers in the year 2010, just look at Shanghai for an example. That is why some of the buildings in Hong Kong will always outshine those on the mainland, because they were built in the 1980s when it was still a challenge not now when you me or my aunt could practically build one. Some things exist now that just didn't 30 years ago, like a couple of hundred million Indian, Chinese and Eastern European outsourced engineers who can work off a 200 dollar notebook more powerful than any business computer that existed in the 1980s and will gladly do it for your lunch money all day long to assist on projects. Then on top of that we have a 200 or 300 million people or more who will gladly move from the country to the city to work as a construction worker, braving death and injury and no decent western hospitals and no decent system of responsibility or compensation except a slap on the back and "such is life" when they lose their arm, just to work all day long building skyscrapers for 20 cents an hour because it's a better life than being in the country.

Back in the 1930s it was all slide rules and people were actually paid a working wage. I remember those days myself!

Last edited by archnyer; August 27th, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
archnyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #1032
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Sure you do.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #1033
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern37 View Post
i think he was just talking about new york not the whole world ( if he was talking about the whole world then i agree with you )
Well if he's talking just about New York then I agree with him.
Old August 28th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #1034
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by archnyer View Post
Well this is a big debate because the ESB was built in 1931 so it really is like the Pyramid at Giza of skyscrapers. Anything built today will have to be a lot better to be said to be better because anyone can build skyscrapers in the year 2010, just look at Shanghai for an example.

Back in the 1930s it was all slide rules and people were actually paid a working wage. I remember those days myself!
If I'm all "uuu... aaa... ooo...", about the height of Burj K, considering today's material and tehnologies (Composite Concrete, Special Alloys, Wind Tuner, Computer Design, etc.) I can see this happening.

Still, I can't belive how the hell could they built the Chrysler Building with bricks...

Now that's engineering folks...
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM   #1035
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Bring it on!

NYC residential market showing faster improvement than rest of nation: experts
August 31, 2010 11:00AM
therealdeal.net

Despite a gloomy outlook for the nation's housing market, New York City industry experts are reporting encouraging news on home prices during the third quarter of the year, according to the Wall Street Journal. Manhattan led the charge, with an 18.5 percent increase in median price compared to the second quarter to $900,000. Queens and Brooklyn saw their median prices climb 6.5 percent to $350,000 and 3.9 percent to $467,600, respectively, during the same time period. Staten Island and the Bronx saw their median prices stay relatively flat, meanwhile -- the former daw a 1.7 percent climb in median price to $376,000, while the latter dropped 1 percent to $310,000. The progress appears to be outpacing the rest of the country, according to Gregory Heym, chief economist with Halstead Property and Brown Harris Stevens. "We didn't lose the number of jobs that we thought and added jobs back quicker than we thought," Heym said. "The [NYC] economy is recovering quicker than it is across the nation." [WSJ]
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM   #1036
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

another clear sign of NY's recovery. i'm sure tower verre is going to be built, the question remains at which height. maybe there's still a chance the city council gives the 200ft back, after everything what's happening with 15 penn.
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:42 PM   #1037
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
I disagree, Imagine the Transamerica pyramid with shiny facade. SWFC...a tall, beautiful modern building, of course. Architectural beauty prize goes Chrysler time and time again, and was built..80 years ago.
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1038
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
another clear sign of NY's recovery. i'm sure tower verre is going to be built, the question remains at which height. maybe there's still a chance the city council gives the 200ft back, after everything what's happening with 15 penn.
It will be built at 1,050. There is no way that NYC will increase the height beyond that.
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM   #1039
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

well then i hope nouvel is able to produce a nice redesign, i'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1040
RobertWalpole
BANNED

He is obligated by the city's order to produce the very same design except shrunken down to 1,050 feet.

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre