daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:45 AM   #1101
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio righi riva View Post
i think that this project is dead.
Think Again

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM   #1102
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I'd be very suprised if this project does not break ground in 2011. The market for high-end residentials and hotels is very, very strong in NY.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1103
kingsc

Hmm not really. I've seen a lot of empty condos, floating around Manhattan.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1104
RobertWalpole
BANNED

There are scores of articles about this from the FT, WSJ and NYT. I'll post some ltr.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1105
kingsc

I didn't need to read any articles. All I have to do is step out the door and look around.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM   #1106
RobertWalpole
BANNED

How many apartments at places like 15 CPW, Time Warner, The Plaza, etc., do you come across listing and sales data for? The market is red hot.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:01 AM   #1107
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

This is not dead, no news is not necessarily bad news. Nouvel has to redesign the top of the tower because the City Planning Commission did not like that mechanical equipment would be visible at that height, when he's finished he will present it to the City Planning Commission, where it will likely/hopefully be approved then the developer will have to go out and get financing.

The market for extremely high end condos is very high right now, condos in general is a different story kingsc, and this would fall into the very high end range. So I agree if Nouvel makes a redesign the CPC approves of sooner rather than later there should be some movement on this before the end of the year.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #1108
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Yet another apartment near Central Park selling in the $6k/sf range. Torre Verre's time has come!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Wahl space
Last Updated: 8:15 AM, March 3, 2011

Posted: 12:04 AM, March 3, 2011

Comments: 0 More Print Jennifer Gould Keil

GIMME SHELTER

The entourage has left the building. An apartment once rented by Mark Wahlberg at storied 15 Central Park West has just closed for nearly $6,000 per square foot.
The 26th-floor condo closed for $16.5 million in an all-cash deal. That’s $5,976 per square foot for the 2,761-square-foot, three-bedroom, 3½-bathroom condo.

The seller is hotshot real estate lawyer Warren Estis of Rosenberg & Estis. The buyer is a “glamorous European woman who prefers to remain anonymous,” a source says. Kenneth Deutsch of Ken Deutsch Real Estate, who represented Estis, declined to comment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1FXtosOz9
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #1109
kingsc

Ok now tell me how the two tie together.
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #1110
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhelmcor View Post
Updates anyone?
No official news since last October when the NIMBY's lawsuit got thrown out. I don't think there's even been a quote from MoMa or Hines about this project since late 2009. I haven't found much using google. Nouvel has been quoted once or twice about the tower in 2010, but nothing substantive. Hopefully there is work going on behind the scenes.

The official website, www.53w53.com is still up, so that's something...
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #1111
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Here's a video about Torre Verre from a US news show that aired on 17 Oct. 2010:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ted;photovideo

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6966240.shtml

Here is the partial text of the interview:

Architect Jean Nouvel Makes His Mark on N.Y.
The French Designer Is Adding Two Distinctive Projects to Gotham's Distinguished Skyline

An award-winning French architect is about to leave his mark on the world's most famous skyline: New York City. Anthony Mason reports:

October 17, 2010
Quote:
When Jean Nouvel starts sketching ... something unexpected often happens:

"I like to play with architecture ¡ it's my favorite game," he chuckles.

He's designed the Agbar Tower in Barcelona, a concert hall in Copenhagen, the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, and the Arab World Institute on the banks of the Seine in Paris.

But the 65-year-old French architect is not yet a household name:

"My buildings are more famous than me," he said. He also prefers it that way.

Nouvel is a star in the world of architecture. Two years ago he won its highest honor, the Pritzker Prize.

"Everywhere he goes his project is the biggest of wherever it is," said Justin Davidson, the architecture critic for New York magazine.

"He also creates buildings that have a personality and have a real presence in a place. They're not timid."

Jean Nouvel grew up in southern France, the child of two high school teachers (geography and English). They wanted him to be a scientist. He wanted to be an artist:

"You went to your parents and said, 'I'm going to be a painter,' and they said . . . ?" asked Mason.

"No. No way."

So he used his drawing skills to imagine buildings.

He's now about to make his mark on America's biggest stage, designing two major structures in New York City:

"Was it important for you to make a statement in New York?" asked Mason.

"Of course!" he chuckled. "For an architect, to build in Manhattan, it's kind of a dream."

The first is a residential tower on Manhattan's West Side, with hundreds of irregularly-placed windows tilted at odd angles. He personally placed each window in the building.

From the outside they're designed to reflect the sun and the sky . . . from the inside, to frame the landscape.

"Here, of course, I wanted to catch all the panorama," he said.

In one bedroom he positioned a window so it could perfectly frame the Empire State Building:

"It's like a guardian during the night," he said while reclining on a bed.

Nouvel's other New York project is a building that could rival the Empire State Building . . . a soaring skyscraper that one critic said "promised to be the most exhilarating addition to the skyline in a generation." "I try to play with the idea of a needle," he said.

The tower would be built on a tiny lot next to the Museum of Modern Art. In Nouvel's original design, the slender spire would have risen 75 stories, higher than the Chrysler Building and almost tall as the Empire State: "Which is precisely what bothers some people," said Davidson. "For people who reacted negatively to the tower, it seemed arrogant."

Community groups fought the project. New York, a city of skyscrapers, seemed to be afraid of heights:

"Is Nouvel's building worthy of standing alongside the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building?" Mason asked.

"I think so," said Davidson. "It marks the period in which it's being designed so dramatically."

The architect has faced resistance before. There were questions about his striking Barcelona tower:

"Maybe people think I am sexual obsessed with this building!" he laughed. "It's not the case."

In fact, it was meant to echo the unusual rock pinnacles of nearby Montserrat.

And another Nouvel skyscraper, the so-called "Tower Without End," was never built, because of a housing slump in the nineties which left his Paris-based studio in bankruptcy.

He says it wasn't discouraging: "No, it's not in my character."

The City Council finally gave the go-ahead to build - but only if Nouvel chops 200 feet off the top. "It's very French to cut the head, eh?" Nouvel laughed. "A guillotine!"

So at his Paris studio, Nouvel has gone back to the drawing board, working on a redesign, while his residential tower opened this summer.

"Do you like how it looks now?" he's asked.

"Yeah, I like that. Yes, it's exactly what we wanted."

His aim as an architect, he says, is to give pleasure to people: "I think architecture has to be a gift."

Jean Nouvel is leaving his gifts now across the skyline of the world.
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #1112
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

it would suck if this got canceled
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #1113
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I don't know why anyone thinks this could possibly be cancelled. Like 122 Leadenhall and the Bishopsgate Tower that were put on hold but now under construction, this also was on-hold and will start construction. The economies in NY and London are booming for the uber-rich. There is enormous demand for this tower.
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1114
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

luxury apartment units are off the charts because everyone wants to own property in Manhattan, which is pretty much priceless
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1115
RobertWalpole
BANNED

The attached article from 20 April 2011 re: The Drake also discusses the rumoured imminent construction of Torre Verre.

http://www.observer.com/2011/real-es...t-start?page=1
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:23 PM   #1116
kingsc

I just hope when it gets going, it moves like Carnegie 57. Wonder if we'll see the redesign before it starts.
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #1117
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Absent a devastating terror attack that destabilizes NY's economy, I expect Torre Verre to break ground within a year. There is massive demand for ultra, high-end condos.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/ny...1&ref=nyregion

MoMA to Buy Building Used by Museum of Folk Art
By KATE TAYLOR
Published: May 10, 2011

The Museum of Modern Art is buying the building of the struggling American Folk Art Museum on West 53rd Street, officials said Tuesday.

The folk art museum will continue to operate in its much smaller Lincoln Square branch.

The building to be bought is between MoMA and a vacant lot that MoMA sold in 2007 to the developer Hines. The 2007 sale came with an agreement that Hines would construct a building on the lot connecting internally to MoMA on the north side of the block and provide additional gallery space.

Although there are no current plans for Hines to develop, MoMA ultimately planned to expand in that direction, MoMA’s director, Glenn Lowry, said. He said owning the folk museum’s building would allow it to connect its galleries on both sides of the block.

The folk art museum’s building was designed by Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects and opened in 2001. It was not clear whether it would be torn down. The folk art museum took on $32 million of debt to construct the 53rd Street building. But attendance never met expectations, and after sustaining investment losses in the financial crisis, the museum defaulted on its debt.

Neither museum would say what MoMA was paying for the building, but the folk art museum’s chairman, Laura Parsons, said it was enough to retire the museum’s debt.

The folk art museum pays $1 a year in rent for its Lincoln Square space, which is only 5,000 square feet, one-sixth the size of the building it is selling.

Ms. Parsons said the folk art museum might put on shows in other locations in the city or put parts of its collection on tour.

Ms. Parsons said she could not say how many of the museum’s staff members would be laid off. She said there was no deadline for vacating the building and that, for now, it would stay open.
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1118
primus20

Likes (Received): 38

this tower is beautiful!

for me it would be the best tower in ny

I ♥ NY
primus20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #1119
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

"Absent a devastating terror attack that destabilizes NY's economy, I expect Torre Verre to break ground within a year. There is massive demand for ultra, high-end condos."

A terror attack would probably help NYs economy just like 9/11 did (after a very temporary setback) as the government pumped billions into the city.

The biggest threat to NYs economy is the government ceasing putting money into the financial system and the banks and Wall Street going down again. As the financial system goes so goes NY and the only thing holding up the financial system is the government.

BTW, if this does get off the ground soon it is possible NY could have 5 or more 1,000 foot + towers going up at the same time. That would be awesome.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #1120
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
BTW, if this does get off the ground soon it is possible NY could have 5 or more 1,000 foot + towers going up at the same time. That would be awesome.
True:

1. Carnegie 57
2. The Drake
3. Torre Verre
4. 225 W 57th
5. 15 Penn
6. 1 WTC
7. 2 WTC
8. 3 WTC
9. Hudson Yards tower, like 4WTC, will either be 1,000'+ or just under.

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre