daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #1141
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
There are other values than just monetary ones, you know.
Tell that to the people who owned the building.

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #1142
Masato

Likes (Received): 0

It looks like a tree trunk in a way. Like it fits in with the trees around it.
Masato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #1143
Masato

Likes (Received): 0

It looks like a tree trunk in a way. Like it fits in with the trees around it.
Masato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1144
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

Is this still planned?
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM   #1145
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
There are other values than just monetary ones, you know.
I saw the demolition of this hotel. It was a very sad thing to see. this hotel was quite nice. And for NYC historic as well - being built in 1927. There is a talk about new building on this place, but the plot has an incredibly unfriendly footprint of an L shape and being very narrow. SO I am yet to see something worthy being proposed on the site. Unfortunately beauty is not the consideration that developers do consider in our days. Back in the day they were building a lot of buildings and each has it's own style. Now it is just glass boxes of various shapes and nothing else really. Beekman tower is a rare example of something different. Otherwise there is nothing of note.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1146
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull View Post
Is this still planned?
Yes.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:02 AM   #1147
primus20

Likes (Received): 38

this building would be the prettiest in new york, it looks better than all other building where i know

I ♥ NY
primus20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:48 AM   #1148
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8688

How come I never stumbled over this building before? It's freaking nice and it would be a complete disgrace not to build this wonderful tower. Go for it!
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #1149
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I wonder if this will be even taller with the addition of the Am. Craft Museum site!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...gRYq09wNef0BiM

NY Post
July 19, 2011
Steve Cuozzo

Word is that Hines is casting around for an equity partner to get its stalled 53 W. 53rd St. residential/hotel tower off the ground -- and there might be departures from the original 72-story Jean Nouvel design.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1SY20CWyM
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1150
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

The Nouvel design may have been a sticking point with the NIMBY neighbors so as much as it pains me, Hines is in the development business, not the architectural award business and getting a modified or completely different design could help win them over. *Ugh*
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1151
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 3587

what is the criteria for supertalls
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #1152
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
The Nouvel design may have been a sticking point with the NIMBY neighbors so as much as it pains me, Hines is in the development business, not the architectural award business and getting a modified or completely different design could help win them over. *Ugh*
The city's order regarding this tower required that Hines keep the same design but at 1050 feet. The only tweak possible is a taller design and a bigger base permitted by MoMa's recent purchase of the American Craft Museum. The original Torre Verre design straddled around the ACM in order to connect to MoMA. Assuming that the ACM will be razed, a new base clearly is forthcoming in order to give MoMA better access to the space it will have in TV's base.

Hines needs this tower to be at least 300m in order to provide park views. The Drake, Carnegie 57, 225 W57th will all be at least 300m. With the right views, upper floor units in this tower will sell for at least 10k per sf.
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #1153
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The city's order regarding this tower required that Hines keep the same design but at 1050 feet. The only tweak possible is a taller design and a bigger base permitted by MoMa's recent purchase of the American Craft Museum. The original Torre Verre design straddled around the ACM in order to connect to MoMA. Assuming that the ACM will be razed, a new base clearly is forthcoming in order to give MoMA better access to the space it will have in TV's base.
I'm hoping that would be the only design modification. The snippet you posted seemed a little ominous...
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #1154
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Something absolutely spectacular will rise here. There is a very strong demand for uber-luxury units in the $5,000/sf and up price range right now, and One 57 is the only project that's currently underway to fill this void. Expect Torre Verre, 225 W57th and The Drake to start in 2011 or 2012.
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #1155
3tmk
Rusty Robot

I still fail to understand how we could be having NIMBYs in midtown manhattan
Especially for such striking architecture!
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #1156
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Something absolutely spectacular will rise here. There is a very strong demand for uber-luxury units in the $5,000/sf and up price range right now, and One 57 is the only project that's currently underway to fill this void. Expect Torre Verre, 225 W57th and The Drake to start in 2011 or 2012.
I hope it will be better than One57. It has some good angles but I don't find it "absolutely spectacular", and since One57 had the kind of hype unrevealed ny towers has now I hope at least some of them will turn out better than One57. Actually current design for Tower Verre is the best thing new york can offer this days, and I would love to see it build. I think its way better than anything on the ground zero site being constructed now. The closest to this one in terms of quality may only be the beekman tower imo.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Last edited by patrykus; July 19th, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #1157
paujuu
VD at Huge Inc.

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I hope it will be better than One57. It has some good angles but I don't find it "absolutely spectacular", and since One57 had the kind of hype unrevealed ny towers has now I hope at least some of them will turn out better than One57. Actually current design for Tower Verre is the best thing new york can offer this days, and I would love to see it build. I think its way better than anything on the ground zero site being constructed now. The closest to this one in terms of quality may only be the beekman tower imo.
true, portzamparc is no match for nouvel ... it's the only one from prtizkerprize awarded architects that I don't quite 'understand'
paujuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #1158
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

One57 design is sub par I've said this countless times. I know it's most because of the towers foot print. Thing that gets me the most about One57 is the crown. I think it would look much better, if the top were flat.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:52 AM   #1159
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
I still fail to understand how we could be having NIMBYs in midtown manhattan
Especially for such striking architecture!
Indeed. Mind-boggling...

For me NIMBYs are no stranger than a Brazilian Greenpeace activist complaining about the number of trees in the Amazon forest. Sad thing is, I've never such Brazilian Greenpeace activist whereas NIMBYs...
Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1160
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
I wonder if this will be even taller with the addition of the Am. Craft Museum site!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...gRYq09wNef0BiM

NY Post
July 19, 2011
Steve Cuozzo

Word is that Hines is casting around for an equity partner to get its stalled 53 W. 53rd St. residential/hotel tower off the ground -- and there might be departures from the original 72-story Jean Nouvel design.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1SY20CWyM
Further to the above-quoted article of 19 July 2011 is the following information regarding the developer's work before the NYC Dep't of Buildings for this tower in July 2011! Torre Verre, One 57, The Drake and 225 W57th will result in four new 300m+ towers hovering over Central Park!

...(application under review July 13, 2011)

http://a030-lucats.nyc.gov/lucats/UL...013&ULURPall=N 120013 CMM&dcpsid=rdxsjaiytlhsnd55ulidzy45

FOLLOW UP THAT THE PROPOSED DESIGN FOR THE BLDG.TO BE CONSTRUCTED COMPLIES WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE TWO APPRD SPECIAL PERMS. FOR THE BLDG.

Looks like the final design is on deck. It's at least in the hands of City Planning.

Quote:
07/13/11 PROPOSAL RECEIVED BY DEPT. OF CITY PLANNING

Last edited by RobertWalpole; July 23rd, 2011 at 05:30 PM.

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre